It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:47

What is it and how do I redo it...

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Re: What is it and how do I redo it...

Postby Cabinetman » 08 Jan 2021, 00:17

Lots of good advice I particularly liked the, if it isn’t that it’s the other and if it isn’t this one it’s that one schedule sorry I didn’t see who it was recommended it. For a tabletop that is going to get some wear I don’t think you can beat water-based satin polyurethane varnish, it’s totally fool proof. First coat watered down a fraction +2 more coats before lunch, jobs done and finished and you haven’t been divorced. It will last for years and won’t need redoing like a wax or oil finish will. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jan 2021, 11:53

Thanks Ian, do you have a particular product name in mind?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jan 2021, 13:47

I've been converted to WB PU seems somuch better now than when WB first came out.

I use the screwfix no nonsense satin floor varnish. First use was on the floor in one of my rental properties its been down since april 19 and looks as good as new.
As Ian say first coat slightly thinned and I brush out subsequent coats fairly well as I hate the "high build" look of most varnishes and HW oils
It dries quickly enough to de-nib and apply several coat in a day and hard ready for use in the next day.
For refinishing jobs, I'd sand the OB PU to give it a key and possibly use it un thinned where the wood is still sealed.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Cabinetman » 08 Jan 2021, 14:17

This is the make that I have been using for years, they also do a slightly harder one for floors, my solid oak floors have been walked on for five years? And not a mark on them, I know I shouldn’t but I don’t always take my boots off first thing either. Ian
A9C31F0E-8933-48A7-A3B8-1892275F1844.jpeg
(292.55 KiB)
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Jan 2021, 15:45

So in summary: sand it / don't sand it as that's a waste of time; apply wax / don't; use oil / don't; use varnish / don't. Final choice, leave table as is until kids have left home or wife insists on a new table. This is the well known "do nothing" option.

:shock:
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jan 2021, 15:47

Bit like one of Boris' early updates isn't it! :lol:

What I'm going to do is, grab some oak from the workshop and sand it back, then try a few of the suggestions to see what comes closest to the existing, which we like. Once I have that view I'll sand back the existing and re-finish with whatever worked best.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 08 Jan 2021, 16:03

Sanding back is the right way to go IMO. All else has the potential for disaster.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 08 Jan 2021, 16:17

This is well outside my area of knowledge, I sometimes restore writing slopes and had one with a similar white bloom that looked like it was under the finish. It turned out to be water under the shellac finish.
It looked just like your table top.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jan 2021, 16:24

MY63 wrote:This is well outside my area of knowledge, I sometimes restore writing slopes and had one with a similar white bloom that looked like it was under the finish. It turned out to be water under the shellac finish.
It looked just like your table top.

Yeah I think it's water that caused the large white area. I was away for a couple of days and came back to find that an unnamed member of the household had left a damp towel on the table and nobody had shifted it. When I lifted it the damp had been getting under the finish for days and was lifting it. That white area has no finish on at all now.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 08 Jan 2021, 17:21

Well, since you're sanding it back, you've got nothing to lose

https://www.youtube.com/watch/hZLS9EbUrAk
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 09 Jan 2021, 01:03

Thanks for that Roger, quite enlightening, it certainly put a smile on her face.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 09 Jan 2021, 01:55

Cabinetman wrote:Thanks for that Roger, quite enlightening, it certainly put a smile on her face.

I've used this method a few times and it works rather well (although I would use a thin cotton rag such as an old t-shirt without the steam), I gleaned it from a book I read whilst I was doing my furniture making and restoration diploma. Grease and oil stains need to be removed the same way but with a good layer of talcum powder under the rag to soak up the seeping grease or oil.

It won't restore missing finish as has happened on Trim's table though.

Lye will generally defeat paint, varnishes and even cellulosed based stuff and strip it right off but I wouldn't try it on Oak unless you want it coming out black and blue! :lol:

Trying to "restore" the existing finish on this piece would be impossible to do cleanly and without it looking terrible. I reckon the best course of action would be to scrape off the finish first (unless you like changing clogged sandpaper disks every couple of minutes!) then sand it all back to bare timber. If you don't have a finish to hand that matches the table top, buy some Van Dyck or Walnut Crystals which are water-soluable stain crystals where you can control how much colour you wish to have by dilution, some people like to add a few drops of 880 Ammonia into the stain to make it "stick" better to the harder parts of the timber such as the meddulary rays but it isn't overly necessary really.

I'd personally use Osmo Polyx Clear over the stain, it's very durable (I can certainly vouch for that, I made some Oak window boards a couple of years back and finished them with Osmo and the dog jumps about on them daily while barking at passersby and they still look really good although a little scratched, staircases finished with it also hold up well. I believe they also use it on floors.) and it's quite readily repairable, if your top was finished in Polyx all you would have to do was sand down the offending patch with the missing finish to an acceptable standard and apply new Polyx, it blends almost invisibly into the existing finish.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 11 Jan 2021, 08:34

novocaine wrote:I was trained by an wise man from the darkest of norfolk. He showed me many great things and with the powers of mediation and a mixture of special herbs took me to my spirit bench. The bench spoke to me, passing on the wisdom of many ages. I learned how to tell finishes by touch and taste alone, using smell i can tell you how it was applied. He showed me how to tell the name of the person who applied the finish, but this must remain a secret (for no other reason than it involves slapping your talwacker around).

If you wish to know these ancient techniques you must wander in the frozen wastelands of norwich, bath in the magically waters of Yarmouth and seek the wisdom of the 10 toed man (something of an oddity in the area).

How much beer did you have? :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Phil » 11 Jan 2021, 08:36

:text-goodpost:

I have flagged this post as our oak dining room table is on the list of f-ups*

*F-ck ups
*Fix ups
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Previous

Return to Finishing