It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:17

Down by the canal, what is this...?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Re: Down by the canal, what is this...?

Postby Mike G » 10 Jan 2021, 15:09

Hmmm......I think this was an inclined plane, wasn't it? A mechanical alternative to locks. I had a British Inland Waterways poster on my bedroom wall as a kid, and I'm fuzzily remembering it from there.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 10 Jan 2021, 16:34

Mike G wrote:Hmmm......I think this was an inclined plane, wasn't it? A mechanical alternative to locks. I had a British Inland Waterways poster on my bedroom wall as a kid, and I'm fuzzily remembering it from there.

Obviously too easy. You are so close as not to be worth quibbling.

I believe gazoon is a ‘weegification of caisson, so it is the containers themselves, which were, of course, used on an inclined plane. This was on the Monkland and, I was told, was primarily to reduce water loss, rather than ameliorate a bottle neck.

Thus

Gazoon1.jpg
(454.25 KiB)

Gazoon2.jpg
(469.46 KiB)

Well, in that case, I will spare you my bascules, the unique bridge, puffers, sugarallie mountain, bully ruffian bridge, Neptune’s staircase et al.
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 10 Jan 2021, 17:04

Par, all we got was a lousy boat lift.
No not that rather sexy modern version by the big horses heads, we have the anderton boat lift.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Down by the canal, what is this...?

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Jan 2021, 17:10

novocaine wrote:Par, all we got was a lousy boat lift.
No not that rather sexy modern version by the big horses heads, we have the anderton boat lift.

That’s brilliant though! Took my kids there about 4-5 years ago and they were filming a documentary about it with cameras onboard as we were taking a trip on it. I need to dig it out and see if we’re in it!

One thing I remember the most is that the gearing was made by Mr Citroen and the cogs on the gears are v shaped the same as the Citroen logo, which they told us came from the cog teeth. Someone’s going to pop up now and tell me that the guide was having one over on us...

Lunch in the pub next door wasn’t half bad either.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2021, 17:12

Down here in the SW, apart from the K&A, very little is often thought of its other canals, some still in use.

But this one, long since disappeared, had four inclined planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chard_Canal

Part of this was also part of the Stop Line during WW2.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 10 Jan 2021, 17:15

Words.
I am tickled a word so simple and descriptive as ramp can be given a scientifically and technically superior term designed to make some us think twice about it. Why use two words when one would do? I cannot help thinking this is why so many are frightened of science.

I seem to recall an inclined plane :) being used without caissons somewhere. A bogey was slipped under the boat and hauled up the ramp on rails. Might not have been in the UK though*

Edit
*I see malc’s wiki link has examples.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 10 Jan 2021, 17:20

Its not a ramp though. Its a mechanical device. The weight of one aiding the other to reduce the amount of effort required to move something up the ramp. :D

There are a few non liquid versions of it, including on out of cromford in the peak district that was for getting stuff out the mill and out towards liverfool on the rail system.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2021, 17:22

Andyp wrote:Words.
I am tickled a word so simple and descriptive as ramp can be given a scientifically and technically superior term designed to make some us think twice about it. Why use two words when one would do? I cannot help thinking this is why so many are frightened of science.

I seem to recall an inclined plane :) being used without caissons somewhere. A bogey was slipped under the boat and hauled up the ramp on rails. Might not have been in the UK though*

Edit
*I see malc’s wiki link has examples.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbląg_Canal[/url]
Last edited by Malc2098 on 10 Jan 2021, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby novocaine » 10 Jan 2021, 17:23

TrimTheKing wrote:
novocaine wrote:Par, all we got was a lousy boat lift.

That’s brilliant though! Took my kids there about 4-5 years ago and they were filming a documentary about it with cameras onboard as we were taking a trip on it. I need to dig it out and see if we’re in it!

One thing I remember the most is that the gearing was made by Mr Citroen and the cogs on the gears are v shaped the same as the Citroen logo, which they told us came from the cog teeth. Someone’s going to pop up now and tell me that the guide was having one over on us...

Lunch in the pub next door wasn’t half bad either.

It is an amazing thing and wonderful for the fact it still remains.
The chevron gear cut is indeed where citreon get their logo, he found it on poland or something like that.

Its worth walking the chesire ring, some very interesting bits and bobs along it.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2021, 17:30

1280px-Oberländischer_Kanal2.jpg
(425.41 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 10 Jan 2021, 18:13

Malc2098 wrote:Down here in the SW, apart from the K&A, very little is often thought of its other canals......

When my wife and I cycled Land's End to John O'Groats in 2010, we stopped at Tiverton overnight with relatives, then spent half a day cycling along the Bridgwater/ Taunton canal. Lovely, with easy riding after 2 days up and down Bodmin and Dartmoor, but road bike tyres and towpath stones aren't a great mix.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 10 Jan 2021, 18:28

The thing that is most amazing for me about the wheel of Falkirk is that it uses absolutely no outside power, nothing electric/pneumatic etc just it's own weight/gravity so cool
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Mike G » 10 Jan 2021, 18:48

Not absolutely none. It uses trivial amounts of electricity. The two thingies full of water exactly counterbalance each other (think Archimedes), then it just needs a tiny input of power to set things turning.

I think the guy who designed it made a Lego model first of all, and used that in his presentation. The committee loved it, but told him to make it look more striking. So he did.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Finishing