It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:01

Cellulose sanding sealer

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Cellulose sanding sealer

Postby Mike G » 23 Feb 2021, 20:39

I've got a tin of this stuff kicking around, and I need a finish which will dry really quickly. Am I right in thinking that sanding sealer is just thinned down shellac? Is there any good reason why I can't use sanding sealer as a finish?

Photos tomorrow, before anyone asks. This one is somewhat unusual.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Cellulose sanding sealer

Postby Trevanion » 23 Feb 2021, 21:09

Shellac sanding sealer and Cellulose SS are completely different, ones quite tame and pleasant to use and the other is like inhaling rocket fuel.

You'd normally use Cellulose when using lacquer on top, but you could use it as a finish in it's own right.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Feb 2021, 21:11

Thanks for that. Yeah, I can tell it's got solvents in it, even without much of a sense of smell.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 23 Feb 2021, 21:16

Mike G wrote:even without much of a sense of smell.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, sorry! :eusa-doh:

As I said, you'd normally use it as a base for a spray lacquer (such as melamine) which allows you to get glass-smooth and quite hard-wearing finishes if that's what you're going for, but it does make your wood look like plastic.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Feb 2021, 21:21

The biggest priority is getting 2 or 3 coats of something on tomorrow morning before I pop this thing in the post. The actual finish isn't critical.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 23 Feb 2021, 21:24

Then go for it, just be careful not to over-work it as it dries very quickly and your applicator will become stuck to it if you linger too long.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 23 Feb 2021, 21:30

Shellac dries almost as soon as you apply it. When I coat one of my bandsaw boxes by the time I have gone all around i can start again. 3 or 4 coats of shellac will give the wood the appearance of old furniture that needs some restoration. On top I use the renaissance wax (because I have a tin) its very easy to shine , as opposed to that carnuba wax which i cant work up enough speed by hand to polish.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike Jordan » 24 Feb 2021, 09:25

Both types are flammable and are best used outdoors or in a very well ventilated area. Cellulose vapours can be ignited by sparks from light switches, fridge stats, pilot lights and all kinds of thing you may not dream of.
I once dealt with a chap who had blown up his workshop with a spark from a bolster chisel being used to scrape dried paint from the concrete floor! Please be obsessively carefull.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Return to Finishing