It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:38

Neutral finish

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Neutral finish

Postby Lurker » 23 Mar 2021, 15:53

We have bought some new gates for the side of the house, I was planning to treat them with a coloured fence paint.
However when they arrived this morning we both like their natural state.
So....... I want to treat them but not cause a colour change.

They are quite large (6x6 & 4x6) so anything fancy and thus expensive is out: I was thinking of using ordinary linseed oil.
I have used this quite a bit,but never where the wood might weather.

Opinions???
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Neutral finish

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Mar 2021, 16:00

This chap sprayed hard wax oil.

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby NickM » 23 Mar 2021, 16:07

I did this one with Osmo UV Protection oil a couple of years ago and it's still holding up well (although it quite sheltered from the worst of the weather). If I recall correctly, that oil is recommended for external use as long as it's not on a horizontal surface (e.g. a table).

IMG_6099.jpeg
(539.16 KiB)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Mar 2021, 16:07

Almost all timber will weather to silvery grey in time. Keeping it's initial look will need continuous regular maintenance. The interval varies with the price of the product - crudely
Anything that forms a skin will peel in time so a penetrating product will last longer.
original creosote works ( and is still available) but of course changes the colour

I think it was Roger M who did a comparative study/time experiment and published results a while back - a search should reveal.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Mar 2021, 17:27

NickM wrote:I did this one with Osmo UV Protection oil a couple of years ago and it's still holding up well

I used some of that on our new oak back door (directly south facing, though sheltered) around three years ago. No sign thus far of weathering or turning silver grey. Fairly impressed; goodly stuff :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 23 Mar 2021, 17:47

Woodbloke wrote:
NickM wrote:I did this one with Osmo UV Protection oil a couple of years ago and it's still holding up well

I used some of that on our new oak back door (directly south facing, though sheltered) around three years ago. No sign thus far of weathering or turning silver grey. Fairly impressed; goodly stuff :D - Rob

This is mine after 25 months and I haven't touched it in that time (the previous photo was from when I installed it). The bottom is clearly weathering (although a bit of a clean would help!). I'm not too bothered about that as I'd like this gate to blend in with its surroundings a bit. I think with some annual TLC you'd be able to keep something looking pretty good, but eventually it will weather.

IMG_8359.jpeg
(506.35 KiB)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 25 Mar 2021, 10:08

I like osmo but the cost makes me shudder, I reckon it would be nearly the same as the gates cost.
Certainly if I had classy stuff like in those pictures or a house door to treat,I would do the same.

I am not bothered about having to maintain, hence my thoughts about linseed oil, I could wipe down and add subsequent coats as required.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Mar 2021, 10:54

Malc2098 wrote:This chap sprayed hard wax oil.

He did a lovely job there. Superb workshop. I made gates somewhat wider than this, but without all his fancy gear and it was a big job. For anyone trying this: it's a good idea to use adjustable hinges. I find that my gates (which are Iroko) will each move by a 10mm or so through seasonal changes. I have a centre overlap plate (to deal with the centre gap) and the gates will bind in winter if I don't adjust them.

I just paint on a good quality teak oil every few years, having lightly jet washed the gates down after spraying with a mould inhibitor when I do the garden furniture. They come up as good as new.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 30 Mar 2021, 08:13

Two questions then,

What exactly is in teak oil?
Would you consider Bartoline to be good quality
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Finishing