It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:19

Any recommendations for a spray gun?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Any recommendations for a spray gun?

Postby Peri » 31 Mar 2021, 22:17

I'm fed up with seeing brush marks in my finishes and would like to try a spray finish.

I know nothing about this sort of thing, but I see that there are electric guns that don't require a separate compressor, it's an 'all-in-one' type of thing.

I'm wondering if they're any good for furniture finishes, or are the best kept for the garden fence?

Any recommendations on something decent that won't break the bank?

Thank you :)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: Any recommendations for a spray gun?

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Mar 2021, 22:42

I've used a very cheap spray gun from Axminster to spray nitrocellulose onto my kit Martin 12 String. I sprayed it outside but undercover and I'm pleased with the result for my first time.

http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3216&p=71863&hilit=nitro#p71863
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AJB Temple » 31 Mar 2021, 23:35

Minefield.

I have a Graco GX FF airless, with a good quality gun. It is excellent but, there are buts....

I don't have a spray booth so I have to construct one from plastic sheeting, or mask off a room. Tedious.
Spraying itself is very fast.
You need to practice and keep your hand in to get good results.
Mine will spray oil or water based (with correct tips) but oil based clean up is a right pain. Water based clean up less so, particularly as the FF has the bucket system, rather than sucking from a can.

Mine is kind of lower end pro gear and much, much better than the cheap hand held tools. But cost of good gun, tips and consumable filters is more than you might think. It is wise to strain the paint and that is a bit of a pain too.

So, in practice, I never spray unless I am doing a batch of things as set up and clean up is a chore.

a really good brushed finish is hard to beat too. But for that you need top quality paint and top quality brushes like Picasso and Mr Fox, topicality rollers like "two fussy blokes" and good technique. I prefer a hand painted finish.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Peri » 01 Apr 2021, 06:29

Thanks both - something to think about. :)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Postby Phil » 06 Apr 2021, 14:54

AJB Temple wrote:Minefield.

Yes definitely

I bought a Bosch HVLP which I used to spray doors lying down flat, matt PU/Sealer.

Good coverage and final finish. Very easy to clean.

Got away with 2 coats as opposed to the compressor spray of 4 to 5 coats.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Philly » 07 Apr 2021, 08:16

I have an Earlex HVLP set, got many years of good use from it. Recommended.
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Peri » 07 Apr 2021, 08:24

Thanks guys.

The more I look into it, the more I realise that it might be more expense and trouble than it's worth for me.

I'm taking another look at French polishing :)
Peri
Sapling

Postby RogerS » 07 Apr 2021, 10:15

The first airless sprayer I bought came from C-cubed and was dire. As was the UK supplier (who are, not surprisingly) in liquidation. You can read about it here . I used it in the bathroom and the results were very good. When it worked.

I then bought a Wagner to spray the workshop walls and that was excellent. But therein lies the rub. The model I had is no longer available. They seem to frequently bring out new models and so any comparison of reviews is difficult if not pointless as chances are a recommended model is no longer available.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Finishing