It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:55

Rubio Monocoat?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Rubio Monocoat?

Postby MattS » 11 Apr 2021, 07:58

I’ve never heard of this but seen a couple of American Youtube woodworkers use it now. It’s a 2 part oil and as the name suggests needs only one coat. Seems to bring out the grain lovely and at the coverage rate quoted its should work out cheaper than Osmo

https://www.rubiomonocoatonline.co.uk/c ... 4239801395

Thought it might be of interest to others too.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Rubio Monocoat?

Postby Mike G » 11 Apr 2021, 08:10

I came across this a while ago when a friend said he had bought some. Heinously expensive but very good indeed, was his verdict.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Apr 2021, 08:29

Thanks for posting. I have never heard of it either. Single coat, 20 colours, and fifty square metres per litre sounds impressive. £50 for 350ml though is quite a lot.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 11 Apr 2021, 10:38

I've heard good things about it too. Although it sounds expensive, with only one coat it works out at £2.75 per m2 which doesn't sound too bad. I wonder what the shelf life is after the package has been opened. The range of colours is impressive, but I see no clear, colourless version for those of us who think wood is beautiful enough without needing artificially colouring.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby MattS » 11 Apr 2021, 12:18

If my maths is right, whilst the pot is undeniably pricey, the £2.75 per m2 completes the job. Whereas something like osmo would require two coats and work out more expensive.

I did search for a clear as I thought the same about colours and Google search suggested the one named “Pure” is clear.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 12:29

I wonder if it forms a 'skin' in a part used tin? At that price, removing the said skin might be throwing away quite a bit of very expensive finish. I think at that price I'll stick to Osmo - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 11 Apr 2021, 12:36

Woodbloke wrote:I wonder if it forms a 'skin' in a part used tin? At that price, removing the said skin might be throwing away quite a bit of very expensive finish. I think at that price I'll stick to Osmo - Rob

As a 2 part product, Rubio may not form a skin, whereas Osmo definitely does. I peel back the skin, mix what's underneath, and roll back the skin when the job's complete, but there is no getting away from the fact that once the tin is under half full you lose quite a bit.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Mike G » 11 Apr 2021, 13:10

There is a gas you can buy to spray into part-full tins. This keeps them from having contact with air and thus from drying/ skinning. With stuff as expensive as this (blimey, it's almost the price of printer ink, for goodness sake), it might be worth giving that approach a try.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Peri » 11 Apr 2021, 15:23

I bought a couple of their sample bottles last year.

One of the opened ones looks like its thickened a little bit, but no skin.

I used some on a couple of small boxes I made. A tiny bit goes a long. long way. It doesn't appear to soak into the wood very much (if at all), and a few drops can be spread surprisingly far with an old credit card.

Edit

Although it's a two-part product, I think the second part is a drying accelerator. IIRC it takes about 3 weeks for the coat to cure without the accelerator (although it's touch dry in an hour or so).
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby ScaredyCat » 11 Apr 2021, 20:33

Interesting a video on it..

ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Return to Finishing