It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:55

Rubberised spray paint

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Rubberised spray paint

Postby Gremmy » 09 May 2021, 18:54

Good evening chaps - I’m just about to do an old Multico planer rebuild and just ordering all the bits. It looks like the table adjustment handles (look like cast aluminium) were dip coated in a plastic, which has unfortunately succumbed to time.

332137F9-DAEA-4612-B30C-A1699891B343.jpeg
(314.12 KiB)

My question is - Has anyone ever used rubberised paint before? If so what’s your verdict? Is it robust? Grippy? Easy to apply, or just a dogs dinner?

Before I part with cash I thought I’d see what the consensus is as I’ve never used stuff like this (didn’t even know it existed until a google search)

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

Cheers

Sam.
Gremmy
Seedling

Name:

Re: Rubberised spray paint

Postby novocaine » 09 May 2021, 19:30

Ive used plastidip a few times. Its great over a large area but i found that snall high touch parts got worn very quickly.
Its not as robust as powdercoating.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby sunnybob » 09 May 2021, 19:40

Unless youre after a faithful museum style restoration, powder coating is the best option, very long lasting and not that expensive.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 09 May 2021, 20:06

If they're anything like the ones I've done, the aluminium castings that Multico used were absolutely shocking underneath the plastic dip and it hid a lot of sins, as I'm sure you can see now, unless you're using the same sort of really thick plastic coating as they did I think you'll have to take a file to the mould lines otherwise they won't be very comfortable.

It took a lot of effort but I went from this:

To this:

and then to this:

It'll be interesting to see what you go for. I'm working on another machine at the moment and I'm replacing the original plastic turn knobs for unbreakable cast iron ones as a couple of the plastic ones had disappeared or been broken and I loathe plastic anyway, which I'll probably be painting in a smooth black Hammerite.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 09 May 2021, 20:51

Buy some dip granules from https://www.plasticcoatings.co.uk/plastic-coating-processes/thermoplastic-dip-coating/, make a box with a fine grill on the bottom and blow air into it and use a Rothenberger torch to heat your part and away you go. Just like when you made those godawful tools in metalwork as a present for your dad
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Gremmy » 09 May 2021, 22:23

Thanks for the replies gents - thermostatic dip granules sound doable and of similar price to the spray tin.
Powder coating could also be an option.
This is a great forum for these very things, as I hadn’t considered powder or granules. I will be sure to file and sand the hand wheels as they’re as rough as a badgers *.
Re: metalwork - I wish my school did this, we did CDT and then I chose design and technology at Alevel (I left school in 2004) but thankfully one of the teachers had done his time in Swann Hunter shipyard in Newcastle building ships in the late 60’s/early 70’s and was very experienced with metalwork, saw it as his duty to teach us all, even if it didn’t feature on the curriculum :eusa-clap:
I’ll add this project to one of the many write ups I have planned!

Best

Sam.
Gremmy
Seedling

Name:

Return to Finishing