It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:21

High moisture food safe finish

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

High moisture food safe finish

Postby MattS » 05 Jul 2021, 11:41

Anyone have recommendations for finishing wooden drinking vessels? Thinking particularly about all the turners!

I have a wooden tankard which had a really hardwearing finish and took ages to wear thin but has now done so, I bought a natural food safe finish which was a disaster, didn't work well and the linseed made my beer taste funny! Now my Dad's recently bought a turned wine goblet which is very poorly finished and has come my way so I want to try to sort both out.

Recommendations for off the shelf or recipe?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: High moisture food safe finish

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2021, 12:30

Gut feel is that a waterproof finish suitable for drinking from and to survive washing up and abrasion in use is a big ask and that turned items should be kept for decoration only.

If anyone knows it will be someone like Dalboy (Derek) of this parish.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Jul 2021, 12:43

9fingers wrote:Gut feel is that a waterproof finish suitable for drinking from and to survive washing up and abrasion in use is a big ask and that turned items should be kept for decoration only.

If anyone knows it will be someone like Dalboy (Derek) of this parish.

Bob

Agreed, but Derek may come up with something suitable. Off hand, I can’t think of anything that would be ‘bullet proof’ and survive constant washing up (why do we wash ‘up’ pots n’pans etc but wash ‘down’ paintwork?) - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 05 Jul 2021, 13:04

turn it to fit a glass inside.
Every type of coating will get damaged and fail over time, the substrate is simply to soft to support any kind of abuse.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mr P » 05 Jul 2021, 14:30

Rustins Plastic Coating.
Mr P
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby MattS » 05 Jul 2021, 16:38

The plastic coating looks interesting. Should have said I'm not expecting a finish to be super hard wearing. My approach with the tankard was after use to rinse with cold water and dry immediately. No washing up liquid and no abrasion.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2021, 16:44

Woodbloke wrote:(why do we wash ‘up’ pots n’pans etc but wash ‘down’ paintwork?) - Rob

Forms are even worse. according to age and background, forms are filled in , out or up. Of course the responses in each case are written down. :lol:
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby novocaine » 05 Jul 2021, 17:13

9fingers wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:(why do we wash ‘up’ pots n’pans etc but wash ‘down’ paintwork?) - Rob

Forms are even worse. according to age and background, forms are filled in , out or up. Of course the responses in each case are written down. :lol:
Bob

Unles you are filling it in following something thwn you write it up.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby CHJ » 31 Aug 2021, 21:11

Old school methods were to saturate internals of tankards etc. with melted beeswax to seal the wood pores.

I have several kitchen items and fruit bowls that can be subject to soft fruit acids and moisture splashes that are coated in melamine enhanced lacquer and are good to go some 10 years plus in use, they are never immersed but subject to a cold-water swill and dry on occasion.
Rustins Plastic Coating may well be a substitute.

Food Safe Oil (Liquid paraffin) soaked salad bowls and platters we have in regular use are wiped with a damp kitchen roll, never washed, detergents remove the oil dressing.

The addition of Microcrystalline wax may enhance the sealing after FS oil has had a few hours to settle.

I have used Melamine lacquer on the externals of goblets and FS oil on the internals for someone but have no idea on how long the finish lasted, probable as long as their fad lasted.

Large quantity of wine goblets done for a wedding had no dressing and lived with the wine stains, how long the guests hung on to or used them afterwards I’ve no idea.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby droogs » 31 Aug 2021, 22:55

Casting resin. Once fully cured completely inert and dishwasher safe. Mix - pour - spin on the lathe - leave upside down on a wire rack until cured.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Stargazer » 31 Aug 2021, 23:06

We use Chestnut food safe finish on all our wooden bowls, spoons and cups (early medieval re-enactment). Good soaking once a year and they can be thrown in with all the other washing up in hot soapy water with no ill effects.
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby thetyreman » 09 Oct 2021, 12:40

+1 for chestnut foodsafe oil, I just recoat it when it's looking a bit dry, I re oiled my chopping board the other day and it's as good as new again.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Return to Finishing