It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:22

polishing Osmo?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

polishing Osmo?

Postby Craig Salisbury » 30 Aug 2021, 13:25

So I have a little box which I sanded the old Osmo off, and decided to redo it. Yes I could have just gone over it but it had yellowed quite a lot and wanted it to be fresh.

For the life of me I can't get a good finish on it, its clear gloss Osmo and after using 0000 steel wool with some polish to get rid of nibs, it has a hazy finish and very fine scratches from the steel wool. I'm thinking to try and attack it with some festool polishing compound to see it that will bring it back.

good idea? bad idea? (i looked at ym bottle of t-cut but its soo old it split lol)

Cheers
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Re: polishing Osmo?

Postby Trevanion » 30 Aug 2021, 15:00

My secret weapon for finishing off wax and hard wax oil finishes is Pledge Furniture Polish in a spray can and just buff it in with a cotton rag.

Osmo can be a bugger though, especially if you have applied it too thick initially.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 30 Aug 2021, 16:22

it's definitely gone on a little thicker in the last coat, the first 4 went on with a cotton rag, left 10-20 minutes and then mostly buffed off, and it just didn't seem to be building up so i put on a bit of a heavier coat, the final coat came didnt come out well, it was uneven and lots of nits, hence out came the steel wool and some of "Thomas Johnsons" favourite beeswax and orange oil polish......which made it worse lol
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Craig Salisbury » 01 Sep 2021, 17:49

cheeky update,

the fine Festool polish and pad came today and although it removed the haze and brought a lovely shine, its wasnt course enough to remove the streaks...got the orange one coming tomorrow and will see how that works out.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby CHJ » 03 Sep 2021, 21:14

Trevanion wrote:My secret weapon for finishing off wax and hard wax oil finishes is Pledge Furniture Polish in a spray can and just buff it in with a cotton rag........

I thought Pledge contained Silicones, if so then please be careful to keep away from any unfinished work or wood working equipment as it can cause serious bonding issues for adhesives and surface finishes, (it's a basic release agent).
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Craig Salisbury » 03 Sep 2021, 21:30

cheeky update,

I tried removing streaks with the orange festool polish and that didn't cut it so threw a mirlon pad on the orbital....that worked....and removed all the finish lol so back to square one and decided to thin the osmo down a little to aid drying time and see if i can get a couple of coats on tomorrow.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Craig Salisbury » 03 Sep 2021, 21:41

Trevanion wrote:My secret weapon for finishing off wax and hard wax oil finishes is Pledge Furniture Polish in a spray can and just buff it in with a cotton rag.

Osmo can be a bugger though, especially if you have applied it too thick initially.

I use wood silk, makes it all nice and slippery :) i have recently found some howards stuff with beeswax and orange oil but haven't used it enough to pass judgement
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Trevanion » 03 Sep 2021, 21:45

CHJ wrote:I thought Pledge contained Silicones, if so then please be careful to keep away from any unfinished work or wood working equipment as it can cause serious bonding issues for adhesives and surface finishes, (it's a basic release agent).

I think the tin I have actually has "Silicone-free" or something along those lines printed on it, I'll have to check.

I think the effects of silicones with timber is largely exaggerated. I've used silicone spray on my machinery without any ill effect when it comes to finishing or gluing for years, if anything it leaves much less residue than waxing or any other alternatives on the timber surface as it's a dry lubricant once it hits the tables. It can be applied in seconds to a running machine whereas with wax you have to shut the machine down and spend a couple of minutes ragging the tables.

Where silicones become a pain is in the car body repair industry (where I think most of the exaggeration into timber comes from), where a an owner might use a silicone-based wax on their car, or a silicone spray on the plastics to restore them, or a silicone-based tyre shine product... I could go on, but the main thing is that the silicone gets onto a painted surface or even a bare metal surface and lingers. A panel to be painted and blown-in needs to be thoroughly wiped down with panel wipe prior to spraying, otherwise, you end up with fisheyes in the paint. Generally, when it comes to joinery work any surface that ends up getting finish or paint on it will be sanded anyway so any surface residue of silicone will be taken off completely.

I even accidentally used silicone spray instead of super glue activator the other day because the tins all look the same from Wurth (I've accidentally used active glass cleaner a couple of times on my machines instead of silicone spray too, foamy mess :eusa-doh:), it still stuck quite well surprisingly! :lol:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 03 Sep 2021, 21:48

Trevanion wrote:
CHJ wrote:I thought Pledge contained Silicones, if so then please be careful to keep away from any unfinished work or wood working equipment as it can cause serious bonding issues for adhesives and surface finishes, (it's a basic release agent).

I think the tin I have actually has "Silicone-free" or something along those lines printed on it, I'll have to check.

I think the effects of silicones with timber is largely exaggerated. I've used silicone spray on my machinery without any ill effect when it comes to finishing or gluing for years, if anything it leaves much less residue than waxing or any other alternatives on the timber surface as it's a dry lubricant once it hits the tables. It can be applied in seconds to a running machine whereas with wax you have to shut the machine down and spend a couple of minutes ragging the tables.

Where silicones become a pain is in the car body repair industry (where I think most of the exaggeration into timber comes from), where a an owner might use a silicone-based wax on their car, or a silicone spray on the plastics to restore them, or a silicone-based tyre shine product... I could go on, but the main thing is that the silicone gets onto a painted surface or even a bare metal surface and lingers. A panel to be painted and blown-in needs to be thoroughly wiped down with panel wipe prior to spraying, otherwise, you end up with fisheyes in the paint. Generally, when it comes to joinery work any surface that ends up getting finish or paint on it will be sanded anyway so any surface residue of silicone will be taken off completely.

I even accidentally used silicone spray instead of super glue activator the other day because the tins all look the same from Wurth (I've accidentally used active glass cleaner a couple of times on my machines instead of silicone spray too, foamy mess :eusa-doh:), it still stuck quite well surprisingly! :lol:

hang on a sec, you dont use wax on cast iron? what exactly do you use to lubricate the beds and keep moisture out? - i hate waxing cast iron
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Trevanion » 03 Sep 2021, 22:15

Craig Salisbury wrote:hang on a sec, you dont use wax on cast iron? what exactly do you use to lubricate the beds and keep moisture out? - i hate waxing cast iron

Silicone Spray, like this one by Everbuild:

It's not the best for keeping moisture off though, if it gets particularly damp in the air I might cover the machines with bits of plywood to help keep the moisture off, but largely it isn't too much of an issue.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 03 Sep 2021, 22:16

Trevanion wrote:
Craig Salisbury wrote:hang on a sec, you dont use wax on cast iron? what exactly do you use to lubricate the beds and keep moisture out? - i hate waxing cast iron

Silicone Spray, like this one by Everbuild:

It's not the best for keeping moisture off though, if it gets particularly damp in the air I might cover the machines with bits of plywood to help keep the moisture off, but largely it isn't too much of an issue.

i think i have a wd40 can of that stuff ive never used, miht give it a whirl

cheers
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Trevanion » 03 Sep 2021, 22:21

Craig Salisbury wrote: i think i have a wd40 can of that stuff ive never used, miht give it a whirl

cheers

Just don't overdo it otherwise you will end up with a smeary puddle on your tables, all you need is literally a light spray over them and it will work well.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 03 Sep 2021, 22:35

Trevanion wrote:
Craig Salisbury wrote: i think i have a wd40 can of that stuff ive never used, miht give it a whirl

cheers

Just don't overdo it otherwise you will end up with a smeary puddle on your tables, all you need is literally a light spray over them and it will work well.

ill give it a go tomorrow, cheers for the tip!
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Return to Finishing