It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:04

for the love of streaks

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

for the love of streaks

Postby Craig Salisbury » 21 Jan 2022, 12:40

Im not a big lover of finishing by hand, mainly because i suck at it. but my god i can't get streaks out of osmo.

I have tried a foam brush, with a bit of pressure for a thin coat which seems more successful than a brush

i have tried cotton rags to apply, which just wipes it all off

Abranet mirlon pads because i cant seem to find cheaper white scotch pads

also tried thinning it and applying by rag which helps but requires a good few coats.

currently i'm putting a coat on something i've had a while and never got round to it, but you see what i mean.

IMG_20220121_113724.jpg
(155.34 KiB)

its 3044 Raw transparent as i don't want it to yellow the maple.

if it wasnt soo damn cold or took several hours to heat the garage id spray the damn thing

any tips on how i can get rid of this? leave an hour then wipe it all off with a rag?
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Re: for the love of streaks

Postby Lurker » 21 Jan 2022, 13:22

My guess is that the cold weather is the cause.
You say rags wipe it all off but that’s not my experience but then I have never applied it at this time of the year.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 21 Jan 2022, 13:41

Lurker wrote:My guess is that the cold weather is the cause.
You say rags wipe it all off but that’s not my experience but then I have never applied it at this time of the year.

hmmm maybe warming it might help, but the oil and the item has been in the house at a comfortable 22c for a while now.

I think once this has dried ill flatten it out with some 0000 steel wool, warm the tin and try the ol' rag application.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Trevanion » 21 Jan 2022, 14:15

You’ve got to apply it as sparingly as possible and rub it in well with rag, a little goes a long way.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jan 2022, 14:36

I'd second that. I've never had any problem with streaky Omso and I usually apply it with a fine haired brush, but I've recently tried MMM (Mike's Magical Mixture) which in my case is one part Satin Osmo, one part Liberon Finishing Oil and one part white spirt. Slosh it on all over with a white cloth (not coloured or the die may run) remove the excess and repeat after a two or three hours (in a warmish 'shop) giving the job three or four coats. Let the surface harden off, de-nibble with some worn 600g Abranet and then apply a decent wax over the top to complete the finish - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 21 Jan 2022, 14:39

Woodbloke wrote:

I'd second that. I've never had any problem with streaky Omso and I usually apply it with a fine haired brush, but I've recently tried MMM (Mike's Magical Mixture) which in my case is one part Satin Osmo, one part Liberon Finishing Oil and one part white spirt. Slosh it on all over with a white cloth (not coloured or the die may run) remove the excess and repeat after a two or three hours (in a warmish 'shop) giving the job three or four coats. Let the surface harden off, de-nibble with some worn 600g Abranet and then apply a decent wax over the top to complete the finish - Rob

That might be an idea for the future, but i don't want to risk the maple darkening, hence im using osmo raw which has some white tint to cancel out the yellow of the oil.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Craig Salisbury » 21 Jan 2022, 14:41

Trevanion wrote:You’ve got to apply it as sparingly as possible and rub it in well with rag, a little goes a long way.

i think thats going to be coat number 2 after a rub down, interestingly the instructions say it can be applied with a foam roller, which flies in the face of one drop per square foot :/
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Phil » 21 Jan 2022, 14:57

I had similar issues on Mahogany using Liberon wax, then tried Wooddoc antique wax, similar streaks.

Wiped the top off with a soft cloth and meths to remove the wax.
Then applied a liquid wax, heated in hot water, couple of coats.
That sorted that problem (was three table tops)
Fair enough it is dark wood, so colour change not an issue.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Finishing