It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:59

storing polyx

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

storing polyx

Postby Craig Salisbury » 05 Feb 2022, 09:38

Im going to assume this relates to many finishes, but how do you store yours?

I opened a can of osmo this morning which had a lovely thick skin on it, I have tried the trick of putting some cling film between the lid which doesn't seem ideal.

Have seen in the US they have "no loss bags" which you basically decant the oil into, squeeze out the air and screw on a cap, but im reluctant to splash out $50 inc shipping on disposable plastic bags.

Is there a better way? I do have a vacuum sealer with a mason jar attachment, but i wonder if UV as well as being a pita everytime i use it is ideal

Thoughts?
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Re: storing polyx

Postby John Brown » 05 Feb 2022, 10:21

Craig Salisbury wrote:Im going to assume this relates to many finishes, but how do you store yours?

I opened a can of osmo this morning which had a lovely thick skin on it, I have tried the trick of putting some cling film between the lid which doesn't seem ideal.

Have seen in the US they have "no loss bags" which you basically decant the oil into, squeeze out the air and screw on a cap, but im reluctant to splash out $50 inc shipping on disposable plastic bags.

Is there a better way? I do have a vacuum sealer with a mason jar attachment, but i wonder if UV as well as being a pita everytime i use it is ideal

Thoughts?

Marbles.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby John Brown » 05 Feb 2022, 10:28

Actually not marbles. Work well for certain things, my dad used to top up various photographic potions with marbles, but probably not a good idea for Osmo.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Feb 2022, 10:33

I've tried decanting the stuff into smaller jars and then filling up the void under the lid with clean stones, but it doesn't appear to be very effective :cry: so I've just got used to the idea that Osmo will skin over. When it does, I use a sharp knife to cut round it and then hoik it out the tin with a pair of pliers.

One way to ensure it doesn't is to use your Osmo in MMM (Mike's Magical Mixture) which is equal measures of said Osmo, Liberon Finishing Oil (or similar) and White Spirit. Makes the Osmo go a lot further as well - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 05 Feb 2022, 10:49

Woodbloke wrote:I've tried decanting the stuff into smaller jars and then filling up the void under the lid with clean stones, but it doesn't appear to be very effective :cry: so I've just got used to the idea that Osmo will skin over. When it does, I use a sharp knife to cut round it and then hoik it out the tin with a pair of pliers.

One way to ensure it doesn't is to use your Osmo in MMM (Mike's Magical Mixture) which is equal measures of said Osmo, Liberon Finishing Oil (or similar) and White Spirit. Makes the Osmo go a lot further as well - Rob

I have a couple of questions im not sure that could be answered without testing, but mixing osmo with other products surely has an effect on either sheen level or durability?
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Mike G » 05 Feb 2022, 12:08

Both the sheen level and durability are controlled by the varnish in the mixture, not the oil. The oil does the job of enhancing the grain, and the varnish does the job of sealing and adding lustre (and durability). I've given up on Osmo altogether as a stand-alone product, and now only use it in that 1:1:1 mix.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 05 Feb 2022, 12:10

Mike G wrote:Both the sheen level and durability are controlled by the varnish in the mixture, not the oil. The oil does the job of enhancing the grain, and the varnish does the job of sealing and adding lustre (and durability). I've given up on Osmo altogether as a stand-alone product, and now only use it in that 1:1:1 mix.

right then. to the Amazon for some finishing oil!
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby AndyT » 05 Feb 2022, 13:51

Craig Salisbury wrote:Have seen in the US they have "no loss bags" which you basically decant the oil into, squeeze out the air and screw on a cap, but im reluctant to splash out $50 inc shipping on disposable plastic bags.

Last time I did any decorating, I used a paint kettle with plastic liner bags from Toolstation - https://www.toolstation.com/paint-kettle-liners/p97237

It sounds similar but more easily available. I thought that it would be just ok for keeping going on successive days, but ended up with some paint which I hadn't used left in one of the bags. It was still in perfect condition when I needed some again several months later. I've not tried them on solvent-containing finishes but they would probably be ok.

For some really expensive solvent-based paint that I had to buy in a large size, I have bought some smaller empty paint cans on eBay, which I think will end up saving quite a lot of wastage. There are plenty of sellers.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby droogs » 05 Feb 2022, 14:43

If it is going to be long term storage, then use a food vacuum sealer machine. I do this with all my liquid finishes, glues and various powders. Put them in 500g lots for liquids and 100g for powders and seal them up and put them away out of direct light. Then just open a packet of what I need and use it. I pour the opened bag into a container that can be closed airtight and then store it upside down in between uses. Any trapped air will rise to the "bottom" of the jar and if a skin forms it will be out of the way when I come to use whatever it is.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Lurker » 05 Feb 2022, 15:05

Assume everyone knows the trick of filtering paint and varnish through old tights?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 05 Feb 2022, 15:33

Lurker wrote:Assume everyone knows the trick of filtering paint and varnish through old tights?

Yes, but I dont wear tights anymore.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Craig Salisbury » 05 Feb 2022, 16:00

droogs wrote:If it is going to be long term storage, then use a food vacuum sealer machine. I do this with all my liquid finishes, glues and various powders. Put them in 500g lots for liquids and 100g for powders and seal them up and put them away out of direct light. Then just open a packet of what I need and use it. I pour the opened bag into a container that can be closed airtight and then store it upside down in between uses. Any trapped air will rise to the "bottom" of the jar and if a skin forms it will be out of the way when I come to use whatever it is.

Im thinking of giving the vacuum sealed mason jar a go, I have at least a few litres of osmo to keep long term and i can split it up between that and "Mikes magic mixture".
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Craig Salisbury » 05 Feb 2022, 16:04

AndyT wrote:
Craig Salisbury wrote:Have seen in the US they have "no loss bags" which you basically decant the oil into, squeeze out the air and screw on a cap, but im reluctant to splash out $50 inc shipping on disposable plastic bags.

Last time I did any decorating, I used a paint kettle with plastic liner bags from Toolstation - https://www.toolstation.com/paint-kettle-liners/p97237

It sounds similar but more easily available. I thought that it would be just ok for keeping going on successive days, but ended up with some paint which I hadn't used left in one of the bags. It was still in perfect condition when I needed some again several months later. I've not tried them on solvent-containing finishes but they would probably be ok.

For some really expensive solvent-based paint that I had to buy in a large size, I have bought some smaller empty paint cans on eBay, which I think will end up saving quite a lot of wastage. There are plenty of sellers.

I wonder if ziplock bags might do the same?
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Return to Finishing