It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:18

Sealing ply door panels

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Sealing ply door panels

Postby RogerS » 11 Feb 2022, 12:07

LOML aka painter is unhappy with the ply panels I'm using in some panelled doors claiming that they behave like a sponge despite several coats of LittleGreene primer. Personally, I have my doubts and can't see what the problem is but best not go there.

So I was thinking about applying sanding sealer first to them? Good idea or not ?

If it is then cellulose or acrylic ? I'm leaning towards cellulose since I don't want any chance of the LG acrylic paint softening the sealer.

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Sealing ply door panels

Postby 9fingers » 11 Feb 2022, 14:54

RogerS wrote:LOML aka painter is unhappy with the ply panels I'm using in some panelled doors claiming that they behave like a sponge despite several coats of LittleGreene primer. Personally, I have my doubts and can't see what the problem is but best not go there.

So I was thinking about applying sanding sealer first to them? Good idea or not ?

If it is then cellulose or acrylic ? I'm leaning towards cellulose since I don't want any chance of the LG acrylic paint softening the sealer.

TIA

Better add this to the foibles thread. :lol:
Any primer worth its salt should be sealing pores in a first coat even if it needs a second to cover perfectly. Might your subcontractor be rubbing it down too much between coats.
I'd wonder if sanding sealer might leave too slick a finish for the subsequent paint to get a hold.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Phil » 11 Feb 2022, 14:57

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote:LOML aka painter is unhappy with the ply panels I'm using in some panelled doors claiming that they behave like a sponge despite several coats of LittleGreene primer. Personally, I have my doubts and can't see what the problem is but best not go there.

TIA

Any primer worth its salt should be sealing pores in a first coat even if it needs a second to cover perfectly. Might your subcontractor be rubbing it down too much between coats.
I'd wonder if sanding sealer might leave too slick a finish for the subsequent paint to get a hold.

Bob

:text-+1:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 11 Feb 2022, 14:57

9fingers wrote:

TIA

9fingers wrote:I'd wonder if sanding sealer might leave too slick a finish for the subsequent paint to get a hold.

Bob

Good point. Will do a trial.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 11 Feb 2022, 16:40

I've had good results on ply - including on the edges - with this aluminium primer. It builds up really well.

https://www.international-yachtpaint.co ... cht-primer
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 11 Feb 2022, 19:02

AndyT wrote:I've had good results on ply - including on the edges - with this aluminium primer. It builds up really well.

https://www.international-yachtpaint.co ... cht-primer

I've used that, and I swear by it. Great product.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 11 Feb 2022, 19:07

I should probably add that the manufacturers recommend thinning the first coat used on bare wood, so you'll need to buy some matching thinners as well if you go down this route.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Return to Finishing