It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:22

Help Please

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Help Please

Postby Dalboy » 14 Feb 2022, 16:52

I need to refinish a box lid but do not want to change the colour however I used some cleaner on the lid all over but there is one patch which is lighter than the rest looks like it had water or something else on it.
The rest came out as I expected, I need to remove the darker stain mark as you can see I do want to bring the area within the mark to match the rest.

The light area and stain mark where there before I started as well as two cup rings which I managed to get rid of an matched the surrounding colour so it is just the area in the photo any suggestions.
Normally I start from fresh wood with all the things that I do so this is totally new to me. I have some waxes of various colours I also may have some stained varnishes but not sure what is on this lid.

I Hope that all makes sense.

DSCF2231.JPG
(291.08 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Help Please

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2022, 16:57

Oxalic acid. That looks like a water stain to me, which has induced a tanin reaction. Obviously try it on a hidden place first, but oxalic acid should do the trick. Remember to neutralise it afterwards. It will be a while until you can apply a finish, though, as this process will make the wood wet and raise the grain.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 14 Feb 2022, 17:00

One thing I like to do is go over something like that with a damp cloth and some Cif Cream Cleanser, it’s surprising how much grime it shifts and I’ve found it somehow miraculously can remove some lighter ring mark stains, both light and dark.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 14 Feb 2022, 19:41

I'd give it a good clean and then put some hot melt around it and sprinkle in some tea powder from a bag and drop in some hot water and leave to soak for a while.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2022, 19:51

Dalboy wrote:..... I also may have some stained varnishes but not sure what is on this lid....

Don't do this. That'll stand out like a sore thumb. It's impossible to get colour right that way. Dark stained varnish is half-way to being a paint, and shows up every brush-mark.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Feb 2022, 22:06

Broadly I agree with the others. However - from the picture you have provided it looks as if there are a number of marks across the top, including darkening in the joint corners. From my amateur experience of trying to remedy damage to badly marked antiques over the years, I would be surprised if localised treatment gives a satisfactory result. It would be interesting to see the whole top. I think you may need to do all of it in stages. There are various tools in your *, including lemon juice and tea. Spot work with cotton buds.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Feb 2022, 22:23

As a Spurs supporter I am so pleased that Arsénal, when spelt correctly, falls foul of the profanity filter.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Feb 2022, 00:16

:lol: How bizarre. I suspect I did spell it properly but who knows now as I have been starred.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 15 Feb 2022, 11:03

Sorry for late reply guys thank you all for the information.

I am trying to keep the darker areas as that is what the whole box looks like. I just need to remove the stain and bring this area back to match the rest.

Will the Oxalic acid get rid of the stain but in the process lighten the area even more
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 15 Feb 2022, 15:57

Andyp wrote:As a Spurs supporter I am so pleased that Arsénal, when spelt correctly, falls foul of the profanity filter.

As your team wear spurs does that mean they are a bunch of cowboys :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Andy could not resist
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Feb 2022, 16:00

Dalboy wrote:.....Will the Oxalic acid get rid of the stain but in the process lighten the area even more

I doubt it. It's not impossible, but I suspect it won't. This, though, is why you test on the other side, or somewhere hidden.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 15 Feb 2022, 16:25

Mike G wrote:
Dalboy wrote:.....Will the Oxalic acid get rid of the stain but in the process lighten the area even more

I doubt it. It's not impossible, but I suspect it won't. This, though, is why you test on the other side, or somewhere hidden.

Thank you Mike I will order some and try it out.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Finishing