It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:58

lining a box with bits of leather

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Re: lining a box with bits of leather

Postby MY63 » 01 Apr 2022, 18:46

Hi Bob I use contact adhesive for heavier leather, PVA is fine for lighter leathers. If I am sticking it to card I would use contact adhesive as PVA will soak in and soften the card. Dont forget double sided tape.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby sunnybob » 02 Apr 2022, 05:08

Michael, thanks.
I shall try double sided tape, but what I have seems to be much stronger on one side than the other.
I have a superglue piece on test which I will check later today.
I'm wondering about a "no more nails" type of adhesive?

The material I have scrounged is very springy, trying to keep it folded it over card is proving difficult, but cost is now everything on this project. I havent made a lined box before and have significantly underestimated the material difficulty and prices.
If these tests fail I might just leave the inner box as bare wood. The bubinga is highly figured and it might be an easy cop out. Then it would just be the foam filled inserts for the watches, which 'er indoors says she can sew. :eusa-dance:
It would be nice to make a small profit on it. :eusa-pray:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 02 Apr 2022, 13:25

Hi Bob.
There are a few tricks to get leather to do what you want it too. Even chrome tanned (which is what you will have) moisture and heat are the easiest.
If you are using card to mount the lining you cannot wet the leather to much.
Glue the card to the leather with contact adhesive leaving a good amount to fold over. Apply a damp cloth and using an iron apply some heat and pressure, working away from the edge. The heat will usually soften the contact adhesive so take care. Use weights or clamps to hold it until it dries out. If it is causing issues use contact adhesive to stick the flaps down saving the tape for mounting.
Dont forget to allow for the thickness of the card and leather or it will bite you when you put it together.
Anything else let me know.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby sunnybob » 02 Apr 2022, 15:43

The superglue test piece has worked. Still solid after 24 hours.
I dont actually have real leather, its some kind of plastic with aerated fabric back on it, making it very springy.
I looked closely at leaving the box bare, but it just isnt right. I might have to bite the bullet and lose a bit on this box, but she has been my most profitable customer to date, so I'm just giving a bit back. :lol:

Had a major setback today, attaching the chrome hinges, got the grooves really nice fitting, and the third screw to go in snapped off clean :shock: Thats despite me drilling 1.5 mm pilot holes for 2.25 mm screws, and even coating the screws in wax before putting them in the box. I HATE box hardware!!!
Took me well over an hour to dig the old screw out without damaging the slot (much) and glue in a wedge.
Now I'm drilling 2 mm holes to make sure it doesnt happen again. I might coat them with glue this time :lol:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 02 Apr 2022, 17:39

Linley uses faux suede. Their basic Henley box starts at £995, and this will take two faux suede watch cushion inserts at £500 the pair. https://www.davidlinley.com/collections ... y-box-grey

This is for their basic (ie Far East copy) hinge and lock fittings set rather than the expensive real deal. Looks like it would hold 8 watches.

I think Linley sub out all their box making to third party skilled makers who construct to a specification, size and finish. They look nice boxes but nothing all that special - well within the capability of most of us.

Very hard to see how Amazon can do a 5 watch box, with all hardware and a "real glass" lid insert for £20.

Shall be interested to see how yours turns out Bob.
Last edited by AJB Temple on 02 Apr 2022, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Apr 2022, 17:45

AJB Temple wrote:
I think Linley sub out all their box making to third party skilled makers who construct to a specification, size and finish. They look nice boxes but nothing all that special - well within the capability of most of us.

Linners does indeed sub out everything. The outfit which makes most of his work is in Robin Hood's Bay, nr Whitby and the NI box maker from Belfast, Ian Hawthorne has also recently sold his soul to make for the royal personage - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 02 Apr 2022, 18:08

Now that is a weird coincidence Rob.

I bought a humidor in an antique shop down near Rye, earlier this year. It was quite new and was made by Ian Hawthorn - who I had never heard of until I got home and looked him up. Fabulously well made and I bought it because it was being sold at £80 and I bought it for £40, which was obviously a daft price. I've never smoked and have no use for a humidor, but my plan was to convert it into a different type of box. Superb fittings and lock.

Had no idea he also does stuff for Linley.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 02 Apr 2022, 18:10

Luckily, I have never ever attempted to add a labour cost to my boxes, or I would be up there with the grand a time mob , even at a pound an hour :lol:
My idea of making a profit is to cover costs and parts, and some more on top for electric and blades.
If I can run my hobby at zero expense to the exchequer, I'm a happy camper. 8-)

The box is coming along. I'm on the last finishing of the wood now I've repaired the damage caused by the busted screw.
Just got to get the artist formerly known as 'er indoors to dig out the sewing machine. :eusa-whistle:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Finishing