It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:41

Sanding & Staining video

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Sanding & Staining video

Postby Phil » 03 Apr 2022, 13:52

An interesting video on sanding and staining.

On two of my coffee table restores I sanded up to 1000 grit.
Looked fantastic 8-)

BUT!!!!!

When I came to apply the oil and then the wax, it just did not penetrate at all, and had to remove the finish first with meths, sand down to 340 grit and then oil and wax. :( :(

We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Sanding & Staining video

Postby sunnybob » 03 Apr 2022, 15:31

I always give up at 320 grit. After that the cost of the constant replacement of the paper makes it uneconomic. I will sometimes use 400, after the first couple of shellac coats though.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 03 Apr 2022, 17:46

It all depends on what you're doing really, I rarely use anything above 100 grit but I'm not a fine cabinetmaker. Personally, I think anything over 240 grit is a bit of a waste of time on a material like wood, any form of moisture or finish will completely reverse how well you've sanded it and it will go back to being very rough very quickly. As Sunnybob said, there's only really any merit in using higher grits once the piece has been finished, denibbing between coats to achieve a smooth surface in your finish, not the wood.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 04 Apr 2022, 16:44

Yes dead right, I rarely use it, much prefer the finish from a fine set nr4. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Apr 2022, 10:07

sunnybob wrote:I always give up at 320 grit. After that the cost of the constant replacement of the paper makes it uneconomic. I will sometimes use 400, after the first couple of shellac coats though.

Same here; 320g is as fine as I go on most timbers. Using open grained timbers (eg oak) you can get away with 240g but it's always wise to throughly vacuum the surface before any finish is applied - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Finishing