It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:59

Waksol timber sealer

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Waksol timber sealer

Postby Phil » 30 Jul 2022, 09:54

Waksol is a blend of mineral spirits and wax.

It is used to seal outdoor timbers and more important for me the beehive timber.

I have treated the inside of the boxes and roof structure.

But after 3 weeks outside in the sun it still does not dry, remains 'tacky', and I have to use a rag to try rub most of the residue off.

Question - what experience does anyone have using a product like this?
In your neck of the woods it would have a different name.

I did contact the manufacturer PowaFix and spoke to a 'someone' in their technical department. Sent him an e-mail with pics of the bottle (no batch number!)
No reply - when I phoned he was too busy to speak to me.
Obviously some useless fifth rate company based in Durban. Maybe the humidity affects their brains.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Waksol timber sealer

Postby 9fingers » 30 Jul 2022, 10:08

An interweb search came up with:-

HERE'S HOW - WAKSOL

Waksol is a solvent and wax based timber sealer with excellent water repelling properties. Waksol will not dry 100% and will have a slightly oily residue, so should be used on exterior surfaces only, it can be used inside on out-of-reach surfaces.

So I think it is possibly behaving as expected Phil.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Jul 2022, 13:34

We do not put any finish or oil on the inside of our bee hives. It is regarded in the UK as contra indicated. The bees pretty much seal everything up anyway given half a chance and a good hive should be weather proof. I use cedar to make ours and I don't use any finish on the outside either.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 31 Jul 2022, 09:00

9fingers wrote:An interweb search came up with:-
HERE'S HOW - WAKSOL
Waksol is a solvent and wax based timber sealer with excellent water repelling properties. Waksol will not dry 100% and will have a slightly oily residue, so should be used on exterior surfaces only, it can be used inside on out-of-reach surfaces.
So I think it is possibly behaving as expected Phil.
Bob

Thanks Bob.
Thee next hive will get waxsol on the outside. It might just attract lots of dust.

AJB Temple wrote:We do not put any finish or oil on the inside of our bee hives. It is regarded in the UK as contra indicated. The bees pretty much seal everything up anyway given half a chance and a good hive should be weather proof. I use cedar to make ours and I don't use any finish on the outside either.

Adrian, interesting. The local hives get waxsol in and out.
Before I start the next one I will also look for different timber.
You might have a better selection and price range.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Finishing