It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:07

Treatex stain

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Treatex stain

Postby Cabinetman » 30 Jul 2022, 15:53

It’s taken me a little while to get around to posting this. I fitted a floor in our large (empty) kitchen 5m x5m the flooring was plywood with a six mil oak veneer, laid on Elastilon, 220mm random length T&G. All went very well indeed and was very impressed with the Elastilon. We had been recommended to use Treatex stain followed by the Treatex hard wax surface. The final surface is highly recommended including on here but I never actually got to that stage. I found the stain to be a terrible product, so bad that I would warn anybody not to attempt to use it, it may be ok on a small surface like a table but on a large area putting it on and wiping it off again is impractical, the resulting finish is extremely blotchy, partly where I had sanded small areas to remove marks prior to staining with a fine grade paper with the grain, these areas showed up very badly, but also in a lot of other places with no apparent reason. In desperation we put another coat on which whilst make it too dark we thought we might live with but it didn’t improve matters at all.
So I set to with an industrial sander and removed it all and started again, re-researched how to apply it and went more slowly and carefully, the results this time were no better. We had decided to stain the floor to a light chestnut brown colour – better results might be had with a lighter shade?
My biggest failure ever with a project, Pam being the wonderful person she is was helping and as it was in her kitchen decided it had to go! Have you ever tried to remove a floor laid on Elastilon? All credit to the stuff it sticks! (It was found that two garden spades upside down under the floor to break the back of the joint so that a knife could cut the underlay did the job) The flooring hasn’t gone to waste my son Ben will remove what’s left of the underlay and put it through the thicknesser, and use it in his house.
I’m sure he will be using the same stain and poly varnish finish we have used very successfully in the past. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Re: Treatex stain

Postby Mike G » 30 Jul 2022, 17:07

Sounds like an utter disaster, Ian. Stain is one of those things one always approaches with a huge amount of trepidation it can be a quick way of destroying some good work.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Treatex stain

Postby Cabinetman » 30 Jul 2022, 18:48

Mike G wrote:Sounds like an utter disaster, Ian. Stain is one of those things one always approaches with a huge amount of trepidation it can be a quick way of destroying some good work.

Yes that just about sums it up Mike, also delayed having the cabinets refitted before we returned to the us this meant we couldn’t order the worktops for fitting on our return. Grrrr
Of course, Sod’s law, we did samples with the Treatex before we started without any problems.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Return to Finishing