It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:16

Cycling route planning apps

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Cycling route planning apps

Postby Andyp » 29 Jul 2021, 19:31

Do any of you cycling types use a route planning app?

I use this one https://cycle.travel/

Once registered (free, with no adverts) you can plan your own route by selecting a start point, way points and a finish point on a map. A step by step guide is then visible as well as a route profile.
I tend to use it after I get home to see how far I have cycled on a “lets see what happens if we go this way” type trip.
Managed 23k this afternoon, with a crêpe on the coast to keep us going. Not far I know but quite a milestone after the past few months for me.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Cycling route planning apps

Postby Raymedullary » 29 Jul 2021, 21:04

I use Garmin connect. But that is with a Garmin computer. I would highly recommend
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby droogs » 29 Jul 2021, 21:24

Before becoming a laminated "biff chit" holder, I used Map My Ride for most of my bike and hiking and Phys data and planning

\https://www.mapmyride.com/
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby AndyT » 29 Jul 2021, 22:49

Thanks, that looks really good. I've used the Komoot app and found it quite good, and the Cyclestreets planner, which is ok, but will try this in comparison.

The OS maps app (which is excellent and worth the modest price) now has a National Cycle Network layer but doesn't plan point to point for you.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Weekend_Woodworker » 29 Jul 2021, 22:58

Another app you could try is ViewRanger. I have used this quite a bit for both walking and cycling. The free mapping on it is not bad and it is fairly easy to plot a route on it and then also follow it. I even managed to export a route from it on my phone to my son's Garmin for his bike.
Weekend_Woodworker
New Shoots

Name: Mark

Postby novocaine » 29 Jul 2021, 23:00

Ive tended to use map my ride to plan routes. But for turn by turn ive then transfered it to google maps for long routes (ton and up). Now i use brytons app, because thats what the gps unit is. If im just checking a distance i use an app called just draw it.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dr.Al » 30 Jul 2021, 08:26

I don't really cycle much these days, so I can't offer any website recommendations. For motorbiking I made my own route planning website as I was fed up with the lack of good alternatives - you can configure that to use cycling directions rather than driving ones, but it's more about dragging the route around and customising it yourself, so the actual directions method is largely academic. It doesn't generate directions as it was designed to be used to generate routes for a GPS device.

If you've got an Android phone, Locus (either Locus Pro or the newer Locus 4) is by far the best mobile map application I've found for walking or cycling. Unlike ViewRanger it's not available for iphones though.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Mike G » 08 Aug 2021, 07:59

I don't know how I missed this one. I use ridewithgps.com Because I don't have a phone, I use a GPS, and the GPX files this mapping produces have taken me tens of thousands of miles without any great issues.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat