It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:59

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby RogerS » 17 Sep 2021, 04:13

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Sep 2021, 07:48

Agree, we really need to take a more robust line with the childish idiots.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Sep 2021, 10:21

Did you read the article about 3000 healthcare workers, over here, being sacked because they have not been vaccinated?
Seems that the UK does not have a monopoly on idiots.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Chris152 » 11 Oct 2021, 14:18

RogerS wrote:This is how it should be done.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58590187

I think comparisons with other European countries are useful - can't help but think we're being misled about our relative safety here in the UK, one that serves business well but public health less so:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58849024
Most alarming is the number of hospital beds per capita here, as we head into winter.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Oct 2021, 15:06

Both SWMBO and daughter hit with the 'rona this past two weeks, both came out of isolation on Thursday.

Daughter is 12, few days of real lethargy (could just be tweenagery... :lol: ) and bad head cold. She's still got the cold symptoms now but all others okay.

Wife, double jabbed with AZ, raging headache for 2 days, feeling cold to the degree that two saturdays ago she sat in the lounge, log burner on so hot it was too uncomfortable for me to stay in the room, thick pj's on and thick fleece, sweating outwardly but still complaining of being unable to get warm. Couple of days of having no energy to anything more than sit still, with the occasional walk to the loo, then sit back down.

She's nearly two weeks on from first positive test now and still has occasional bouts of bad headache and past two days been very lethargic again. Hopefully not long covid and just hitting her a little harder.

Makes you wonder whether she'd have been any different without the jabs...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 11 Oct 2021, 15:16

Wishing a speedy recovery to them both Mark.

She may well have been hospitalized without the jab. All hypothetical I guess.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 11 Oct 2021, 15:22

Blimey. Sorry to hear that Mark and my wishes to both for a speedy recovery and that the rest of the family remain Covid-free.

Thanks to Lurch (aka Blonde Buffoon)....Lurch because he lurches from one mismanaged crisis to another, I think we are ill-prepared for this winter.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Oct 2021, 15:24

Andyp wrote:Wishing a speedy recovery to them both Mark.

She may well have been hospitalized without the jab. All hypothetical I guess.

And from me. SWIMBO is currently in the thick of it right now and working for our local NHS hospital in Salisbury. Fortunately she's well away from any Covid wards in one of the Path Lab offices, but she's booked in a booster jab early next month.

Apparently 'things' were very dire at the hospital during the first lockdown. Not pleasant - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Oct 2021, 15:43

Thanks guys. It's funny really, we didn't take any precautions at home with the view that we all need to get it at some point and being double jabbed I'd take my chances. We've not been sharing cutlery or anything but neither have we stopped being in the same room, sofa etc. Julie and Tilly both got it, Barney and I both still clear, and testing daily!

Friends of mine in the medical profession saying they're gearing up for the worst winter ever (every being recent memory of course) because everyone's immune systems are low and the current flu bug is a nasty one (be that nastier than normal or just because of low general immunity I don't know).
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 11 Oct 2021, 15:57

TrimTheKing wrote:.... and the current flu bug is a nasty one (be that nastier than normal or just because of low general immunity I don't know).

Did they say if the flu jab is bang on for this bug ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Oct 2021, 15:59

Didn't ask tbh, they just said they were doubling down expecting it to be a bad winter for flu hospitalisations.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 11 Oct 2021, 16:04

TrimTheKing wrote:Didn't ask tbh, they just said they were doubling down expecting it to be a bad winter for flu hospitalisations.

Reason for asking is that Muppet aka LOML doesn't have a flu jab and I need a reason to push her to get one. Mind you her exposure is limited to a weekly shop to Waitrose and, well, sigh.....Waitrose customers just don't get the flu, y'know....and me.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 11 Oct 2021, 19:07

Surely, a husband is the last person on earth to be able to influence his wife.

Might she listen to the expert ?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58862920
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MartinF » 19 Oct 2021, 18:54

Don’t drop your guard!

From the time when Covid first started, my wife and I were very cautious partly because of our age and partly because my wife is clinically vulnerable with a COPD. So, for 12 months, we never visited anyone indoors, had shopping delivered by a friend (where we sanitised all the packaging etc. after delivery) and took only permitted exercise.

Following the requisite 14 days after our second jabs in April this year, we started doing our own shopping, taking care with social distancing, masks etc. In May we started visiting our son and his family for the first time in over 15 months. In June, we went away for a couple of weeks to go on a walking trip. Last month, we went to France for a fortnight to see our daughter, our first visit to see her and her family in 2 years; the mandatory 2 day PCR test on our return showed negative.

Last Thursday, we went to see our son and his family again for the first time in 2 months. On Friday afternoon, our son called to say that one of our grandsons was showing signs of Covid symptoms. Following a PCR test on Saturday, he was confirmed as having Covid on Sunday morning so we booked immediate PCR tests that afternoon. Yesterday, the results came back, we’re positive and our son tells us that he, our daughter-in-law and other grandson are positive as well. Not that I needed any confirmation as I had been feeling pretty rough since Sunday evening and am still suffering flu type symptoms although not suffering from shortness of breath or loss of taste or smell. My wife is, at present, just having mild headaches so we just hope she doesn’t get any worse. So it’s 10 self-isolation for the two of us. Fortunately, we have copious supplies of paracetamol.

The moral of this story is that, although you may have been double jabbed, you are still at risk especially from school children. We have two friends who caught Covid from their grandson, the husband ended up in hospital with it, Another friend’s daughter and son-in-law , both double jabbed, had COVID last week together with both of their daughters. Two others of his grandchildren have also had it recently. This friend said that it seems to be particularly rife in schools at present and spreading on to adults. So be warned.

As a by the by, the grandson who caught it first seems to be fine, no problems at all. His parents, like me, are laid low.
MartinF
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Oct 2021, 19:17

Best of luck with it Martin, and get well soon.

I can tell you from experience that you're likely to start feeling better around day 8 to 10. It's a false dawn. Continue to take it easy, and when your body says stop, then you must stop. Rest, lots of water, and paracetamol to get your temperature down. Any hint that it affecting anyone's breathing get straight onto 111. Same with any rashes.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Oct 2021, 20:24

Thanks for sharing Martin, an important lesson for all of us. Hope you both have a speedy and complete recovery and your son as well.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 19 Oct 2021, 22:18

Andyp wrote:Thanks for sharing Martin, an important lesson for all of us. Hope you both have a speedy and complete recovery and your son as well.

:text-+1:

And my wishes for a speedy, short recovery.

But how do we get Lurch to realise he is out of his depth ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 20 Oct 2021, 08:39

It's clear the jab does a very good job at keeping us from severe illness, think positive Martin, and speedy recovery to you both.

ONS stats have been very disturbing lately - 1 in 45 in Wales, 1 in 60 in England had the disease according to the last ONS stats I saw (I think that was a week or two ago, I try not to look these days). And 1 in 20 secondary school children, a few weeks ago.

Kwarteng on the news this morning saying he didn't want to see us back in lockdown, as a retort to NHS chiefs who want protective measures reintroduced immediately. The point is, we enact Plan B (protective measures) to avoid lockdown. They don't seem to learn from their mistakes, bizarre.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 20 Oct 2021, 08:50

Not going into great detail, you need to look it up yourselves. The reason you get a temperature is that your body is fighting the infection – reducing your temperature is making the situation worse.
It’s not the virus that’s causing the temperature it’s your own bodies defence mechanism/ immune response to the bug. More information on Oxford academic "let fever do its job " Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby droogs » 20 Oct 2021, 18:36

Cabinetman wrote:Not going into great detail, you need to look it up yourselves. The reason you get a temperature is that your body is fighting the infection – reducing your temperature is making the situation worse.
It’s not the virus that’s causing the temperature it’s your own bodies defence mechanism/ immune response to the bug. More information on Oxford academic "let fever do its job " Ian

as the saying goes - feed a fever and starve a cold
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby MartinF » 24 Oct 2021, 16:18

Many thanks for the good wishes and advice. As it happens, I suppose that I’ve not been all that badly affected. I sometimes feel washed out and had a few nights when I’ve slept for 12 hours plus but the lethargy seems to come and go. I also feel a bit nauseous from time to time as if I’ve got a head cold with blocked nasal passages although I don’t have a running nose and I’m not sneezing. Other than one day when I took 6 paracetamol, I’ve generally managed without pain killers. My wife has been hardly affected with only a couple of days when she needed paracetamol. What we are suffering from is being “stir crazy” being confined to the house and not being able to go out for walks and get fresh air.

However, every cloud has a silver lining. From Tuesday to Friday, we were supposed to be walking part of the North Downs Way in the area of Knockholt and Wrotham in Kent. On Tuesday, Knockholt had the highest daily rainfall in the country, over 2 inches in 24 hours. At least we missed that.

I had also hoped that, during my enforced house confinement, I’d get into the workshop and start making something instead of just reading about woodwork or watching woodwork related videos but, somehow, the energy has been lacking. However, with a move back to GMT and shorter days next weekend and, consequently, less time to spend in the garden, going forward I’ll have no excuses.
MartinF
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Lons » 24 Oct 2021, 22:43

Far too many complacent people think it's over.
We had 16 days touring wales from 19th September and we were in a distinct minority who were wearing masks in shops, cafes and restaurants, when we got home we discovered that Pembrokeshire was one of the highest rates in the UK, I wonder why that was?
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Oct 2021, 10:37

I think there is a good deal of evidence of double standards. I was in Waitrose the other day and a man came out, not wearing a mask, and said to another customer that he's pleased to see most shoppers were masked. He was unaware of the irony I fear.

My doctor, who I respect a great deal as she is a straight talker, does not wear a mask when she is out and about, unless she has a cold. She has said privately that medical evidence for the effectiveness of masks we typically wear out shopping is scant.

Personally I'm mixed. If I am visiting the supermarket I wear a mask, largely out of respect for the staff, many of whom I know. I always go to the fresh food counters and don'y want to be breathing over the meat and fish. It does bug me that certain customers are still vegetable feelers. One man and his wife fondled a few red peppers before buying some wrapped in a plastic bag. Disrespectful behaviour I thought.

On the other hand, I was in the charity bookshop the other day and didn't get masked up, as it seems a bit pointless when handling lots of books. (I treat it like a library and take a bagful to donate each time I go in).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 Oct 2021, 10:51

my problem, is as ever with the data that any study is based on, be it for or against. both datasets are heavily based on fundamental assumptions that can or are flawed and both of which are often heavily swayed by opinion or conjecture with bias at the time of the research. on top of this, they conclusion drawn are often over simplified or modified for a more palatable output, rarely is there a concrete "yes" or "no", partially because the author is often aware of the assumptions and how they can alter the conclusion but also because of the misinterpretation of results by other which may see the paper dragged in to dispute in short order.

for something like wearing a mask, I consider it more of a cost to benefit analysis ignoring for the most part the data. What I mean by this is consideration of the cost (time, effort)of putting a possibly flawed control in place vs the potential benefit if the control isn't flawed. a mask seems exceptionally straight forward for me to wear, it doesn't cost me a lot, nor does it take me any real effort either. the data suggests it maybe worthwhile to have something in front of you mush to stop you spreading your nasty little bugs, although other papers (who's data isn't any better) are stating otherwise, but the potential risk reduction is there (and it isn't really for you, it's for everybody). So I wear a mask when I think I should, i.e. supermarkets, busy indoor spaces, etc.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 28 Oct 2021, 10:59

For me, wearing a mask is (hopefully) a subtle reminder to those who think it's all over.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat