It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:24

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby MY63 » 28 Jan 2022, 17:04

After many blood tests xrays and finally a lung function test. I got a call yesterday to say I have been referred to the Long covid team. Now I just need to get the appointment :)
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby RogerS » 28 Jan 2022, 17:12

MY63 wrote:After many blood tests xrays and finally a lung function test. I got a call yesterday to say I have been referred to the Long covid team. Now I just need to get the appointment :)

Oh, that really is tough news, Michael. This might be of interest ...

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/94 ... siveuk_int
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 28 Jan 2022, 18:35

Lons wrote:My 8 year old granddaughter came home from school on Monday with a sore throat did a lateral flow test which indicated positive, Covid is widespread among the kids in the school apparently, she was no worse yesterday morning and DiL who's a practice nurse has now tested positive luckily she and my son have been triple jabbed though obviously little Alice is too young for vaccination. She was quite excited after the test shouting "dad look it's got 2 lines". :eusa-doh:

DiL's practice is already hard hit by staff shortages and she manages a team so they'll be even deeper in doodoo with her off, son works from home 95% of the time so he'll be ok if he gets it and we haven't seen them for a couple of weeks so ok and we haven't seen them for a couple of weeks so no exposure.

My partner teaches in a special school for kids with autism. This week both her teaching assistants were off with covid, and Tuesday the supply TA phoned in with covid. Another TA was drafted in from another class, meaning two classes were operating understaffed. Other classes in the school operating under the same conditions, some with supply teachers where they can get them. This is now so common it seems not to merit comment, kids' education suffering, staff suffering. All fine, apparently.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby MY63 » 29 Jan 2022, 10:42

RogerS wrote:
MY63 wrote:After many blood tests xrays and finally a lung function test. I got a call yesterday to say I have been referred to the Long covid team. Now I just need to get the appointment :)

Oh, that really is tough news, Michael. This might be of interest ...

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/94 ... siveuk_int

Thanks Roger, As there are so many people with suspected "Long covid" our GP's have to go through everything else before referring to the relevant clinic. To be fair I have had a number of other issues that have delayed my referral.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby 9fingers » 29 Jan 2022, 10:51

An interesting news item this morning talking about conventional breathing tests shown negative on possible long Covid patients exhibiting breathing issues

A MRI type scan taken with patients breathing a xenon oxygen mix is showing promise as an analytical tool
Work going on in Oxford presumably john Radcliffe hosp?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 29 Jan 2022, 12:00

Daughter had second official, ie not a self test, today. Still positive. Runny nose subsided a few days ago and noticeably less tired. Two more days of isolation and she can go back to school on Tuesday. Not sure I fully understand the logic of still being positive but OK to go to school but that is what the protocols say. A matter of contagiousness I guess. Mask wearing at school compulsory for all anyway. Everyone else in the family still negative on self tests. Lucky I guess.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jan 2022, 16:06

9fingers wrote:An interesting news item this morning talking about conventional breathing tests shown negative on possible long Covid patients exhibiting breathing issues

A MRI type scan taken with patients breathing a xenon oxygen mix is showing promise as an analytical tool
Work going on in Oxford presumably john Radcliffe hosp?

Bob

Wot I've got, though over the last week it's got a lot better. Oddly, I showed no signs of any sort of the plague :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 29 Jan 2022, 20:03

A long time friend who has a number of medical issues including diabetes and failing kidneys caught Covid around Boxing Day it was confirmed via a PCR test and he was quite poorly with it until a week or so ago, he'd tested negative after a couple of weeks but took ill again this week and was taken into hospital where he again tested positive, he's picking up but I really don't think anyone can believe they're safe yet.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby droogs » 29 Jan 2022, 22:26

Food for thought Lons, makes me wary still of being in crowds of any kind. hope your friend recovers soon
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby RogerS » 29 Jan 2022, 22:28

Lons wrote:A long time friend who has a number of medical issues including diabetes and failing kidneys caught Covid around Boxing Day it was confirmed via a PCR test and he was quite poorly with it until a week or so ago, he'd tested negative after a couple of weeks but took ill again this week and was taken into hospital where he again tested positive, he's picking up but I really don't think anyone can believe they're safe yet.

To be frank, Lons, we'll never be safe. Sooner or later we will catch it. Or a variant. And then probably again. It's down to our own genetics, what other co-morbities we might have as to how badly we will be affected. With a bit of luck, LOML is coming round to this PoV as well.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Jan 2022, 10:33

RogerS wrote:
Lons wrote:A long time friend who has a number of medical issues including diabetes and failing kidneys caught Covid around Boxing Day it was confirmed via a PCR test and he was quite poorly with it until a week or so ago, he'd tested negative after a couple of weeks but took ill again this week and was taken into hospital where he again tested positive, he's picking up but I really don't think anyone can believe they're safe yet.

To be frank, Lons, we'll never be safe. Sooner or later we will catch it. Or a variant. And then probably again. It's down to our own genetics, what other co-morbities we might have as to how badly we will be affected. With a bit of luck, LOML is coming round to this PoV as well.

Which is kind of where we are with influenza isn't it? Flu jab every year to reduce the chances, same with C19.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 30 Jan 2022, 11:01

I'm not sure it's as black-and-white as that, Andy. For starters, number of deaths due to flu in the UK is almost insignificant compared to those from pneumonia.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transpar ... 019and2020

But looking more closely at that table, it seems to be that the numbers suddenly leapt in 2020 - which begs the question if deaths were entirely due to flu or pneumonia or maybe Covid.

Trying to find the deaths from flu before vaccines became widely available (which I think is your point) is more tricky.

There is also another factor such as the efficacy of flu vaccines in the elderly.

One would like to think that we 'live' with Covid and have our annual jab.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Feb 2022, 09:46

So having arrived here (UK) the day before 2 day tests were scrapped I have now just learnt that we no longer require a negative test to get back to France. Yippee.
Progress I guess on the slow road back to normality, or at least learning to live with Covid.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Alf » 13 Feb 2022, 11:22

My brother's just called, and he's got it. Poor fellow sounds pretty rough. Worse, it's my SIL's 60th this coming week, and they had plans for this and that to celebrate. He says he choked a bit on the cancellation insurance for the theatre tickets when he booked them, but now reckons it was an absolute bargain!

And as I'm here and 'flu has been mentioned, I had an invitation to take part in a study on Covid and 'Flu. Couldn't do it, because it involved sending back a PCR test, and our nearest postbox for those is nearly a mile long round trip on country lanes where the drivers are all maniacs. No transport and a gammy leg plus a sense of self preservation mean no dice. However I had to answer a load of questions in order to say I wasn't doing it. They asked me all about all the Covid jabs, dates, type, etc. Did they ask me if I'd had the 'flu jab? Nope. Also, bizarrely, if you tested positive for Covid, they were going to tell you (and Test 'n' Trace). If you tested positive for 'flu, you would be left in ignorance. Huh? :eusa-think:
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Feb 2022, 19:24

RogerS wrote:....To be frank, Lons, we'll never be safe......

If "safe" means not catching Covid, then I think you might be right. But if "safe" means not dying of covid, we're pretty nearly there.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 14 Feb 2022, 17:44

Mike G wrote:
RogerS wrote:....To be frank, Lons, we'll never be safe......

If "safe" means not catching Covid, then I think you might be right. But if "safe" means not dying of covid, we're pretty nearly there.

I agree. My daughter and SiL, plus their 6 year old son have had it in the last month. The 2 adults said it was just like a mild cold, and as they both work from home in professional capacities they just carried on as normal, including giving Zoom presentations - and no one even noticed. Our 6 year old grandson was just tee'd off that he couldn't go to school! I am far more worried about having an undiagnosed cancer or heart disease than I am of Covid now. That is not to say that some people may get much more severe symptoms - but anecdotally at least, it would appear that symptoms in the majority of triple vaccinated sufferers are now far less severe than they were for earlier variants.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby RogerS » 15 Feb 2022, 22:29

Mmmm..one's viewpoint is, obviously, personal. From mine, I couldn't care less about getting cancer. My missus won't be that fussed...not that she doesn't care but she is sufficiently independent to let her life carry on. We don't have children and grandchildren to think about. Quite refreshing and liberating for us, TBH.

As far as Covid goes, no-one knows how ones body will react. Even to the point where some people get it once. Then again. Without much 'downtime' and again. Only then to find that they have the debilitating 'Long Covid'.
Also colds don't kill you last time I looked.

Personally I'm very sanguine about it but the missus is s**t scared about catching it. She does have a dicky immune system. So I go out of my way to minimise my risk of bringing playmates back with me.

So Yes...Covid very much on our radar.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 16 Feb 2022, 04:28

How long, on average, does it take from testing positive to testing negative again, for someone with no symptoms?
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Feb 2022, 08:38

Just4fun wrote:How long, on average, does it take from testing positive to testing negative again, for someone with no symptoms?

On a sample of one, my 34 year old double jabbed son took 8-9 days from positive test to negative lateral flow last December. He had no symptoms.
YMMV
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby Mike G » 16 Feb 2022, 09:15

We had 3 positive in the house over christmas, and all of them were negative again within 5 days.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 16 Feb 2022, 10:04

Oh that's encouraging. My son took a test on Saturday (12th) and got the positive result on Sunday (13th). He has a test booked for the 24th because he needs a negative result prior to a flight on 25th. Sounds like there is a good chance he will be clear in time for his trip.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 16 Feb 2022, 13:29

Just4fun wrote:Oh that's encouraging. My son took a test on Saturday (12th) and got the positive result on Sunday (13th). He has a test booked for the 24th because he needs a negative result prior to a flight on 25th. Sounds like there is a good chance he will be clear in time for his trip.

I hope so, but the problem is sometimes you need a PCR test to fly and they can still keep showing you positive weeks after you are clear – they are hypersensitive to any dead bits of the virus still in your body.
Should be ok with a lateral flow test though. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby RogerS » 16 Feb 2022, 13:57

Cabinetman wrote:
Just4fun wrote:Oh that's encouraging. My son took a test on Saturday (12th) and got the positive result on Sunday (13th). He has a test booked for the 24th because he needs a negative result prior to a flight on 25th. Sounds like there is a good chance he will be clear in time for his trip.

I hope so, but the problem is sometimes you need a PCR test to fly ...

Are you sure about that ? I know it keeps changing all the time but ...thought Covid NHS passport was acceptable, for example.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 16 Feb 2022, 14:59

I only mentioned it in case he needs to check, I don’t know where just4fun's son is but he is in Finland and I honestly don’t know what their rules are. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Feb 2022, 16:02

Myself and my son had it starting NYE, both took 10/11 days before registering a clear test, despite very minor symptoms. My sister was 14 days from first pos test to first neg.

There's no guarantee, he could be fine and okay within 5-7 days but I wouldn't be banking on it.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat