It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:00

Breadmaking Machine

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Breadmaking Machine

Postby Sheffield Tony » 11 May 2021, 15:57

My SD253 has had at least 2 new pans, 3 paddles, a and replacement spindle - the dog clutch type bit that engages with the bottom of the pan. And a bodge with a bit of sheet copper to fix the broken raisin & nut dispenser. I think it has done more than 2000 lots of bread. The plastic of the lid is staring to go brittle with the heat, and I don't think you can get spares of those :cry:
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Woodster » 12 May 2021, 12:04

Woodbloke wrote:We had to replace our original white Panasonic after about nine years or so as the lining on the tin and paddle was completely cream-crackered, such that I had to turn the tin upside down and beat the living daylights out of it to remove a loaf. We bought a replacement Panasonic machine from AO with a stainless steel body and dispenser jobbie for additional ingredients. The yeast also now has it's own little separate dispenser in the lid - Rob

I don’t think we’ll be using the yeast dispenser. I bought some dried French yeast from bakery bits and it’s best activated by adding to warm water and allowed to dissolve. I’ve been using this method for some time now and it works fine in the Breadmaker.

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/saf-levure ... ried-yeast
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 12 May 2021, 12:16

Woodster wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:We had to replace our original white Panasonic after about nine years or so as the lining on the tin and paddle was completely cream-crackered, such that I had to turn the tin upside down and beat the living daylights out of it to remove a loaf. We bought a replacement Panasonic machine from AO with a stainless steel body and dispenser jobbie for additional ingredients. The yeast also now has it's own little separate dispenser in the lid - Rob

I don’t think we’ll be using the yeast dispenser. I bought some dried French yeast from bakery bits and it’s best activated by adding to warm water and allowed to dissolve. I’ve been using this method for some time now and it works fine in the Breadmaker.

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/saf-levure ... ried-yeast

I just keep it simple and lob the required amount of dried yeast into the dispenser; works fine. I did though, buy a similar looking container of dried yeast intended for home baking and not for the breadmaker; that wasn't so fine until I read the label on the tin :eusa-doh: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 12 May 2021, 12:53

Strange, I've had 2 panasonics spreading across 30 years. On both, the recipes always stated put yeast in the pan first, then the flour to stop the yeast being activated by the water.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 12 May 2021, 13:06

sunnybob wrote:Strange, I've had 2 panasonics spreading across 30 years. On both, the recipes always stated put yeast in the pan first, then the flour to stop the yeast being activated by the water.

Same here with our first one; yeast in the pan first of all and then all the other ingredients. With this one though, the yeast is dropped into the flour etc some time into the mixing process; results are still the same though - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 12 May 2021, 13:09

sunnybob wrote:Strange, I've had 2 panasonics spreading across 30 years. On both, the recipes always stated put yeast in the pan first, then the flour to stop the yeast being activated by the water.

Yes that’s quite right and that’s what we used to do originally. The new machine though has a yeast dispenser that the old one didn’t have. I like the results we get with saf-levure yeast though and that needs to be activated in warm water.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 12 May 2021, 19:00

Just out of idle interest I looked up reviews of bread making machines. Of the top 12, 9 of them were Panasonic. I have an old and barely used (maybe 50 times) Panasonic in the loft in perfect working order. Can't really see the appeal of paddle machines. :(
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 12 May 2021, 19:23

bread.jpg
(276.8 KiB)

No machine. :eusa-whistle:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Woodbloke » 12 May 2021, 19:27

AJB Temple wrote: Can't really see the appeal of paddle machines. :(

Much, much less faffing. Chuck all the ingredients in the machine, set the programme, hit 'go' and then get on with some woodmangling or laying blocks :D Five minutes tops to make a loaf - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 12 May 2021, 19:38

That's the thing - once you've baked a few hundred using a stand mixer and dough hook they don't take much longer than that without the machine.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 12 May 2021, 20:10

Phil Pascoe wrote:That's the thing - once you've baked a few hundred using a stand mixer and dough hook they don't take much longer than that without the machine.

:text-+1:

8AA7CA66-AB01-451B-9C86-049C0E9D7B33.jpeg
(496.58 KiB)

21ABE1BD-9D78-471A-9FF2-3E3F66EFD80A.jpeg
(309.97 KiB)

Did you know you can ask the baker at Tescos for a portion of fresh yeast, usually FOC?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil Pascoe » 12 May 2021, 20:49

I used to get it from Tesco when we shopped there - now we get everything delivered. I find the orange label Allinson's dried yeast predictable. Everyone has their favourites - I don't get on with Shipton Mill flour or Saffleur yeast. I can't get on with sour dough much as I'd like to. I must have tried cultures bought, given and started on at least twenty occasions to no avail. Yours are looking good - I bake mine darker because we both like it that way.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 12 May 2021, 20:59

Main benefit of the maker is that i can set it of an evening to finish at 6am. Out the pan, make a brew, back upstairs for 3S the make a sandwich and im out the door with something i know is good without half the crap in a bought butty.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 12 May 2021, 21:49

It has been brought to my attention today that I need to start (and continue) eating less bread. :oops:
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 12 May 2021, 21:54

AJB Temple wrote:It has been brought to my attention today that I need to start (and continue) eating less bread. :oops:

Sounds familiar. My darling dear and love of my live has decided to cut down on gluten in an experiment to see if thats part of her issue. Which means i will be cutting down on gluten and therefore bread. Today was the last hurrah so to speak. Tomorrow its quinoa and something something.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 13 May 2021, 08:28

novocaine wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:It has been brought to my attention today that I need to start (and continue) eating less bread. :oops:

Sounds familiar. My darling dear and love of my live has decided to cut down on gluten in an experiment to see if thats part of her issue. Which means i will be cutting down on gluten and therefore bread. Today was the last hurrah so to speak. Tomorrow its quinoa and something something.

I've heard people refer to quinoa as a "superfood". I believe frazzles are another example.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 13 May 2021, 08:32

I have heard it referred to as other things. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 13 May 2021, 08:37

All bread or just the wrong sort of bread ie white?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 13 May 2021, 09:17

Well to be fair the dictat was not limited to bread. The basic fundamental problem is that my wife still fits perfectly into her wedding dress.

I have never fitted into her wedding dress but I am sure you can get the general drift. Lockdown has not been kind to my waist line as I find myself baking bread and then, unfortunately, eating it. I also like butter on it - not very thinly spread.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 13 May 2021, 09:32

Phil Pascoe wrote:I have heard it referred to as other things. :lol:

Its pronounced qwin oh ahhhhhhhh not keen waaaaaaaa. Pretentious crap next ypu be telling me its pronouced que que not cuscus.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Just4fun » 13 May 2021, 09:49

Phil Pascoe wrote:That's the thing - once you've baked a few hundred using a stand mixer and dough hook they don't take much longer than that without the machine.

I see that as swapping one machine for another.

I have a bread machine. I also bake bread by hand. It depends on what result I want to achieve. Sometimes I even achieve something vaguely resembling the result I set out to achieve :lol:
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 May 2021, 11:07

AJB Temple wrote:Well to be fair the dictat was not limited to bread. The basic fundamental problem is that my wife still fits perfectly into her wedding dress.

I have never fitted into her wedding dress but I am sure you can get the general drift. Lockdown has not been kind to my waist line as I find myself baking bread and then, unfortunately, eating it. I also like butter on it - not very thinly spread.

Ah, I see. Diet discipline is not easy. But if you can get into the habit anything can be palatable after a while. My father calls margarine cart grease. I can’t abide waiting for butter to become soft enough to spread without tearing fresh bread to pieces so I have never regularly bought it. A treat at Christmas only.

We bake a lot of our own cakes and biscuits, and all of our jams and marmalade all can be made with at least a third less sugar and still taste good.
Cooking without salt is also possible but takes a while to get used to.
All of this we have done before being told we had too btw, not wishing to sound smug. I can fit into my wedding suit and my birthday suit ain’t bad either :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 13 May 2021, 11:29

Andyp wrote:Cooking without salt is also possible but takes a while to get used to.

It does indeed and as head cook and bottle washer, I haven't used salt in cooking for decades. High blood pressure also means that it's a good way of cutting down on sodium chloride, though I do sneak the occasional tub of olives into the shopping trolly. SWIMBO has proper sea salt on her grub and I use the Lo-Salt stuff, which also goes into the breadmaker - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 May 2021, 13:03

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:Cooking without salt is also possible but takes a while to get used to.

It does indeed and as head cook and bottle washer, I haven't used salt in cooking for decades. High blood pressure also means that it's a good way of cutting down on sodium chloride, though I do sneak the occasional tub of olives into the shopping trolly. SWIMBO has proper sea salt on her grub and I use the Lo-Salt stuff, which also goes into the breadmaker - Rob

What's the point of not cooking with salt then putting it on your food afterwards???

I season all my food (I never use loads of salt, but a pinch to help with flavour release, but NEVER put any extra on. The only time salt gets put on top of food in our house is on when we have a cheat day and have a chippy tea. Chippy chips without salt & vinegar just don't cut it!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby spb » 13 May 2021, 13:09

Lets one person use normal salt, and one use the potassium alternative, without cooking twice. Makes sense if only one of you is on sodium restrictions.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat