It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:10

Eterno Ivica Star.T. tile support system.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Eterno Ivica Star.T. tile support system.

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2020, 21:33

woodstalker wrote:
RogerS wrote:
woodstalker wrote:I'm planning on using the pedestal system on our roof terrace to carry the inside floor covering across the threshold to the roof decking. Interesting to see how you get on.

Are you going to use Eterno's or another make ? Seem to recall reading that on balconies you need a special type.

Hi Rog,

I have looked at a few but to be honest we are at the design stage so don't have it all properly specc'd yet. Something like this is what we have in mind:

https://surface360.co.uk/products/paving-tile-support-systems

the raised deck at the back is going to be infilled underneath to create another lower ground floor room and the deck itself replaced with a flat roof. We are planning on a tile system so the structural engineer will take it into account when calculating the roof structure this is going to sit on.

Are you going to do this yourself ? Do you realise that the system that the company in the link you've provided is made by Eterna...an Italian company..the same company that I'm using ....bit of a cheek TBH them renaming it as if it is there own! You can buy it from Tilefixdirect and other places. https://www.tilefixdirect.com/category/pedestals
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 23 Jun 2020, 15:22

Hi Roger,

No not doing it myself; that link was just indicative of what we would like to do. My days of building stuff like you’d are way behind me. It’s a bit like pretty much every budget woodworking machine for sale. All made in same factory with the branding label added at the end...
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2020, 17:59

woodstalker wrote:Hi Roger,

No not doing it myself; that link was just indicative of what we would like to do. My days of building stuff like you’d are way behind me. It’s a bit like pretty much every budget woodworking machine for sale. All made in same factory with the branding label added at the end...

I take your point but not in this case. The product your site 'assumed' title to is actually designed and made by the Italian company Eterno.

It's currently a toss-up between doing the orangerie and the tiles on the terrace. We've got two very good days coming. I'm hoping to have the orangerie guttering finished by close of play tomorrow and that gives me Thursday to lay the terrace 5.6m x 3.2m.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Aug 2020, 15:14

Just realised that I never came back with the final results.

Started laying the slabs. The advantage of brick bond is that each slab has three supports under each long edge. Although the tile suppliers tell me that they don’t need support, I still decided to put some dabs of tile adhesive down first.

The whole process is remarkably quick and easy. After about 45 minutes I’d got this far.

And after a couple of hours, this

It was helped a lot by the fact that my builder had done a superb job of laying the concrete slab nigh on perfectly flat with a slight slope for drainage.

The manufacturers sell a key to adjust the black pads. You don’t need it as I found it very easy to lay the tile and then nudge the pad round to raise it a smidgeon when needed. Round the perimeter I used tiling wedges. So just the cuts left to do the next day.

The next day dawned and I found that a few tiles rocked and sounded a bit hollow when tapped. I came to the conclusion that one can’t get the pads exactly right. You can adjust them for one tile but it won’t be quite right for the adjoining tile. We’re only talking 1mm or less but enough to break the bond with the dabs as one walked about laying the rest of the tiles.

The fix was sublimely easy as using that brilliant rough tile sucker from Rubi, you simply lift the tile up, put down a more liberal amount of adhesive, drop the tile back in place, step on it to bed it in nicely and job done. Cuts done and wait to dry before grouting.

Now, enquiries of the pad suppliers say that you don’t need to grout with these pads. Well, that’s being economical with the truth. The thing is that as it stands the grout simply falls out the bottom of the gap between the tiles since there is nothing underneath to stop it.

But a bit of lateral thinking on my part and I found this product from another company.

It’s a squidgy foam roll that you push down into the gap between tiles using the gizmo in the photo. Actually they do two…this one which costs about £6 and a more deluxe version at £99 or so. Looking at the one in the photo, you’d think ‘Ah, simple job..just push the foam in the groove and run that wee roller along to push the rest in.’. And you’d be wrong. The design is rubbish. The width of the wheel is OK for thinner foam but not for the 10mm that I was using. So it ends up slicing into the foam which doesn’t help. Wetting the gaps helped but it was still much more time consuming that it should have been …if only they’d designed the tool better.

And onto grouting. Now all the books say to use a grouting float. Yup..works well for small smooth tiles. Not large rough tiles like these. After a first attempt on a couple of tiles, I found that I was losing a huge amount of grout in the pores of the tiles and was looking at having to buy a whole load more grout. Simple solution…just use a spatula and press the grout into the grooves. Quicker and more economical.

So there we have it. The grout has hardened. The tiles are (and sound) rock solid. Zero movement.

Definitely recommend these pads.

I did make one mistake though. I thought it would be a good idea to put a protecting sealing coating on these tiles especially the grout. I’ve used DRAI before from an Italian company and it certainly does what it says on the tin. Only…these are porcelain tiles. They don’t need sealing. I also was running out of DRAI and so I only managed to do four rows and splash the remaining DRAI on the grout lines on the other four rows. As the DRAI dried and the setting sun came out, to my horror I saw a really blotchy finish on the tiles especially around the tiles to either side of the grout lines. It looked horrible. Contacting the manufacturer, all they could suggest was mechanical removal. One day, I’ll get the Jif out and see what I can do. It does work though. Look at this picture. Surface tension beats gravity. The four rows with DRAI have yet to drain but the tiles without the water simply ran off and are perfectly dry.

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 16 Aug 2020, 15:29

Are the tiles dry or has the residue water been absorbed by the tiles? Porcelain can be porous that’s why they sell porcelain tile sealer, personally I’d have sealed the lot if only (but not exclusively) because once the birds have sh1t on it it will be a lot easier to clean.

Also I can’t see the grout staying put long term on what is a flexible base :|
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Aug 2020, 16:16

Doug wrote:Are the tiles dry or has the residue water been absorbed by the tiles? Porcelain can be porous that’s why they sell porcelain tile sealer, personally I’d have sealed the lot if only (but not exclusively) because once the birds have sh1t on it it will be a lot easier to clean.

Also I can’t see the grout staying put long term on what is a flexible base :|

Tiles are bone dry (until it rains!). These particular porcelain tiles do not require sealing. It's not a flexible base. The pads are solid and not compressible. Neither are the dabs. Time will tell.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 16 Aug 2020, 16:32

I ment the foam onto which the grout sits when I said flexible base.

As to sealing as I said it’s a personal thing.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Aug 2020, 16:39

Very neaf Roger. You can finish tiling the room now. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 16 Aug 2020, 16:57

Doug wrote:I ment the foam onto which the grout sits when I said flexible base.

As to sealing as I said it’s a personal thing.

I see where you're coming from. It's a fair point...as I said, time will tell ! :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Jan 2022, 17:33

Roger, do you have an update on how the tiling is now after its been down for two winters? We are finally onto the roof terrace so will be getting these tile supports but won't be grouting/pointing them.

We are also going with porcelain tiles. Any staining/ movement? Has the grout survived?
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Jan 2022, 17:50

woodstalker wrote:Roger, do you have an update on how the tiling is now after its been down for two winters? We are finally onto the roof terrace so will be getting these tile supports but won't be grouting/pointing them.

We are also going with porcelain tiles. Any staining/ movement? Has the grout survived?

Absolutely brilliant. No movement. Grout has stayed put. Staining is down to the tiles and nothing to do with the Eterno. Moss and mould but Wet'n'Forget soon sorts that out. Very pleased with them.

We also used porcelain tiles from Mandarin Stone. If you change your mind and go for grouting it is imperative that you totally clean off the excess grout and residue from the tiles once the grout has almost cured as the residue on the face of the tile can act as an 'attachment point' for mould.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Jan 2022, 18:13

Thanks Roger, we hadn’t planned to grout. The water should drain through the gaps onto the flat roof and away. The terrace in front of the extension will be tiled in the traditional way and pointed. We are going with Primaporcelain for the tiles with 11mm inside the house and 20mm on the terraces.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Jan 2022, 18:25

woodstalker wrote:Thanks Roger, we hadn’t planned to grout. The water should drain through the gaps onto the flat roof and away. The terrace in front of the extension will be tiled in the traditional way and pointed. We are going with Primaporcelain for the tiles with 11mm inside the house and 20mm on the terraces.

You do need to dot and dab underneath the tiles. Not sure if you picked up on that from my thread.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Jan 2022, 18:44

RogerS wrote:
woodstalker wrote:Thanks Roger, we hadn’t planned to grout. The water should drain through the gaps onto the flat roof and away. The terrace in front of the extension will be tiled in the traditional way and pointed. We are going with Primaporcelain for the tiles with 11mm inside the house and 20mm on the terraces.

You do need to dot and dab underneath the tiles. Not sure if you picked up on that from my thread.

Hi Roger i did see but not sure that’s a good idea on the flat roof. If it does become an issue I can always look at it later.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Jan 2022, 18:48

Fairy snuff. :)

How large are your tiles ? If very big, highly recommend the rough tile sucker from Rubi. Mind you if you're laying them dry then I guess not that important.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Jan 2022, 19:08

RogerS wrote:Fairy snuff. :)

How large are your tiles ? If very big, highly recommend the rough tile sucker from Rubi. Mind you if you're laying them dry then I guess not that important.

Yes I did see you recommend that before and was trying to find one along with a big tile saw when I thought I’d have to do it myself but now it’s my builder laying them so I’m sure he’ll have his own methods.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat