It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:04

Woodworking "bake off"

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Woodworking "bake off"

Postby Lurker » 15 Feb 2021, 10:30

Apparently....
Chanel four are doing a woodwork version of bake off this spring.
The times reports massive increases in sales of woodworking tools
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Woodworking "bake off"

Postby Trevanion » 15 Feb 2021, 10:57

But... will there be Neo-Nazis? :eusa-think:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 15 Feb 2021, 11:24

Surely this format is starting to get just a bit tired by now.

I do dislike the "need" to turn everything into a race against time too. Woodwork is my hobby, I have enough of time pressure in my work. This is one of the reasons I shy away from "log to leg" races at the Bodgers Ball - I want to enjoy what I'm doing in a calming, therapeutic way, not turn it into another source of pressure and stress.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Feb 2021, 11:38

I agree Tony, the time limits are false, but perhaps necessary for TV. Sometimes they also sort out the skilled from the rest. Last night for instance I watched pottery throw down. The good ones, who will vie for winner, work fast and deliver creativity with less effort. I know that anything can be edited to fit the time, but for the production crew time is money.

Frankly I am no TV expert but several years ago I did Masterchef. For each episode the programme is about an hour I think. As a contestant, I was totally amazed that it took two days to film, per episode. Lots of stuff is done again, different outcomes shot, presenters doing repeated takes, production crew doing endless clean downs and re-arrangement of the set....and hours and hours of hanging around.

For the TV company the competition is not that relevant: they are making a product on which to hand advertising, series sales and viewer figures, and their focus is very much on that.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 15 Feb 2021, 12:01

The Times today are saying that the hobby has grown very quickly in the past year, there is even a quote from Paul Sellars which is encouraging.
Just so long as Jay Blades isn’t considered quote worthy all is good.

Not a good time to be buying kit on the open market as prices and availability will surge.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Feb 2021, 12:11

Lurker wrote:The Times today are saying that the hobby has grown very quickly in the past year, there is even a quote from Paul Sellars which is encouraging.

Not a good time to be buying kit on the open market as prices and availability will surge.

Give it 12-18 months and there’ll be a roaring second hand trade from all the people selling it on! :D

It’ll be like gym equipment bought in January then flogged in November in time for Christmas.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 15 Feb 2021, 12:18

People who "do things" as most forum members are in a minority and so introducing time jeopardy will attract far more viewers who would otherwise would say the actual woodwork is way beyond them and drop out from watching.

Some of these programmes might just give us ideas but the chance of learning anything I feel is remote. Worse still we might even seen bad techniques used as seen recently with Kirsty Allsop and wood turning.

I might watch just for the sport of being an armchair nit-picker :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby sunnybob » 15 Feb 2021, 12:42

Oh good, its going to be hosted by a comedienne, whose name I have never heard and cant even pronounce.

Oh how educational this will be. :eusa-doh:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 15 Feb 2021, 12:49

Just like any of the bake off style / repair shop shizzle there will be zero detail and you'll all end up screaming at the screen.

They might reference woodwork but it'll be as close to it as bake off is to cooking. For once I'd like someone to put the effort in for people who are actually interested in the detail, not superficial stuff.

I guess that's why I watch very little television now, I just get annoyed with it. Dumbed down so amoeba can understand it.

I remember Matt from "Badger Workshop" was on a TV show, said they recorded hours of footage of him making the stuff and showed very, very little of it on the show. Tried to inject false jeopardy "will the glue dry in time" - just achingly *.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Feb 2021, 14:22

AJB Temple wrote:
Frankly I am no TV expert but several years ago I did Masterchef. For each episode the programme is about an hour I think. As a contestant, I was totally amazed that it took two days to film, per episode. Lots of stuff is done again, different outcomes shot, presenters doing repeated takes, production crew doing endless clean downs and re-arrangement of the set....and hours and hours of hanging around.

My experience too when the Antiques Roadshow came to Salisbury and was filmed in the grounds of the cathedral. I was present in the audience for one or two of the objects under scrutiny and each was done several times before the producer in charge of that section of the filming was happy. We were instructed to stand stock still for all the shoots and it was a blazing hot May day.

The upside was that I can confirm that Fiona Bruce has a very nice rear end :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Argus » 15 Feb 2021, 15:31

We all have our own ways of doing things, our own sets of first-choice tools, so it'll be interesting to see what is selected as being 'essential' and what gets used and how these 'contestants' (are they? are they up to win summat?) use them and how they do the work.

I turned them down - too much hassle for me, but anyone else know about the 'contestants'?
Argus
Sapling

Name:

Postby greeno » 15 Feb 2021, 16:32

Search "good with wood" and there are a few references from mid last year.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Woodworking

Postby novocaine » 15 Feb 2021, 17:13

TrimTheKing wrote:
Lurker wrote:The Times today are saying that the hobby has grown very quickly in the past year, there is even a quote from Paul Sellars which is encouraging.

Give it 12-18 months and there’ll be a roaring second hand trade from all the people selling it on! :D

It’ll be like gym equipment bought in January then flogged in November in time for Christmas.

looking forward to a nice shiny new bike when all those avid and affluent (effluent perhaps) folks decide that it's actually quite hard to ride a century (ok, not that hard) or that they'd prefer to go back to golf with the middle aged spread and tiny balls.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Re: Woodworking

Postby ScaredyCat » 15 Feb 2021, 18:01

novocaine wrote:
looking forward to a nice shiny new bike when all those avid and affluent (effluent perhaps) folks decide that it's actually quite hard to ride a century (ok, not that hard) or that they'd prefer to go back to golf with the middle aged spread and tiny balls.

It's all Peloton now...
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Postby clogs » 15 Feb 2021, 18:03

just think in a couple of years or sooner all those must have overpriced tools will be up for sale on the nett....
it's just a fad......
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 15 Feb 2021, 18:52

Anyone looking for modern tool-related hazards on TV may be wondering why the similar elimination-format "Great Pottery Throwdown" has various non-pottery tools screwed at random to the walls. I've spotted spanners, a handscrew, saws and spirit levels. So far, none of the potters have used any of them... ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Gill » 15 Feb 2021, 22:16

In my opinion the only progammes worth watching at the moment are the local news, It's A Sin and The Great. Oh, and I'll watch Pointless while I have my tea. Apart from His Dark Materials, I can't remember the last time I noted anything worth watching on the BBC.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Feb 2021, 23:20

Gill wrote:.... I can't remember the last time I noted anything worth watching on the BBC.

You missed 'The Night Manager' then Gill. John le Carré at his very best and Hugh Laurie as the most evil baddy you'd never want to meet. Currently reading the book and that's got me on the edge of my seat as well - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Gill » 15 Feb 2021, 23:39

I saw The Night Manager and thought it was a load of tosh, to be honest. I love espionage-type novels by the late John le Carre (and Anthony Price) but that tale of an arms dealer lacked all credibility. Admittedly, I've never read that particular book but judging by the likes of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, The Constant Gardener, Tinker, Tailor... and A Small Town In Germany I suspect the screenwriters took huge liberties with the script.

The Night Manager was first shown in 2016. Haven't you seen any notable BBC productions since then?
Gill
Sapling

Postby Blackswanwood » 15 Feb 2021, 23:57

Gill wrote:I saw The Night Manager and thought it was a load of tosh, to be honest. I love espionage-type novels by the late John le Carre (and Anthony Price) but that tale of an arms dealer lacked all credibility. Admittedly, I've never read that particular book but judging by the likes of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, The Constant Gardener, Tinker, Tailor... and A Small Town In Germany I suspect the screenwriters took huge liberties with the script.

The Night Manager was first shown in 2016. Haven't you seen any notable BBC productions since then?

How about A Very English Scandal or McMafia?
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 16 Feb 2021, 00:08

Woodbloke wrote:
Gill wrote:.... I can't remember the last time I noted anything worth watching on the BBC.

You missed 'The Night Manager' then Gill. John le Carré at his very best and Hugh Laurie as the most evil baddy you'd never want to meet. Currently reading the book and that's got me on the edge of my seat as well - Rob

We're also watching it again and totally agree with you, Rob. Superbly directed and acted.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Feb 2021, 00:11

Gill wrote:In my opinion the only progammes worth watching at the moment are the local news, It's A Sin and The Great. Oh, and I'll watch Pointless while I have my tea. Apart from His Dark Materials, I can't remember the last time I noted anything worth watching on the BBC.

I really have had enough of hand-wringing virtue-signalling stuff on TV like "It's a Sin".

And I have to confess that I really haven't got a clue what Pointless is all about but perhaps that's why people like it and explains the shows' title.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Feb 2021, 00:11

Woodbloke wrote:

:text-+1:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Gill » 16 Feb 2021, 01:40

A Very English Scandal was, indeed, superb. We need more programmes of that quality on the BBC and much more frequently.
Gill
Sapling

Postby Sheffield Tony » 16 Feb 2021, 10:28

RogerS wrote:And I have to confess that I really haven't got a clue what Pointless is all about but perhaps that's why people like it and explains the shows' title.

I thought the choice of title was purely to set them up for the celebrity version being called "Pointless celebrities" which is perfect on all levels.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat