It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:09

New Royal Yacht aka Boris Boat

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

New Royal Yacht aka Boris Boat

Postby AJB Temple » 02 May 2021, 16:00

Various media reports today that this is about to be announced. Downing Street has not denied.

The interesting thing though is that the government is increasingly making noises about reinvigorating the British shipping industry.

Lots of jobs for woodworkers in shipbuilding...

With Ms Sturgeon uber keen on borders, possibly English shipyards will be focussed on.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: New Royal Yacht aka Boris Boat

Postby Steve Maskery » 02 May 2021, 17:38

I really don't understand why we need this ship, especially at a time of so much need and massive debt extant. Sure, it will create jobs, but that 200M will turn into 500M in the blink of an eye. Wouldn't it be cheaper to give every shipyard worker 100K and tell them to stay at home?
I just don't get it.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 May 2021, 18:08

Whether or nae you're a fan of the HM and co is beside the point, the original Royal Yacht should never have been laid up, simply because it was a massive boost to British trade and industry wherever it went. The late duke said that all it required was removing the original steam turbines and replacing them with more efficient diesels as well as bring the comms/nav systems etc up to speed. From that point of view, a new royal yacht IMO is very desirable, preferably built in England and if the wee lassie 'oop narth' gets her way, we'll have the old one back again and moor it Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, ta.

When HM visited California in Britannia during the 80's, Ronald Reagan was treated to the full ceremonial from the band of HM Royal Marines. He was reputed to be completely gob smacked by the performance and remarked that although they were in the land of Hollywood and US razzmatazz, they had nothing that could come anywhere close...and that was from a sitting US president - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Custard » 02 May 2021, 19:00

AJB Temple wrote:Lots of jobs for woodworkers in shipbuilding...

Very true.

More yacht fit out than shipbuilding, but the number one employer of apprentices from the Barnsley Workshops are the many top end yacht joinery operations that exist in the UK.

I live in what's probably the UK's major yachting centre, and I'm constantly surprised at just how much skilled craft work gets generated. There's a triangle, from Poole to Winchester to Chichester, that supports a lot more independent furniture makers than would otherwise be the case, purely because they know that if trade goes soft they can generally pick up enough yacht based work to keep the wolf from the door.
Custard
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 02 May 2021, 19:40

It looks like it’s going to be named after Prince Philip, I went around the old Britannia and I think it needed a bit more than just new engines, it was very dated indeed. But I fully support a new ship that can support British craftsman and industry and blow the flag and wave the trumpet for the country. As was mentioned about the US they go nuts for all that sort of stuff and the Royals, it will be money well spent in my opinion. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Andy Kev. » 02 May 2021, 21:13

Steve Maskery wrote:I really don't understand why we need this ship, especially at a time of so much need and massive debt extant. Sure, it will create jobs, but that 200M will turn into 500M in the blink of an eye. Wouldn't it be cheaper to give every shipyard worker 100K and tell them to stay at home?
I just don't get it.

The benefits go far beyond creating shipbuilding jobs. It's once it's afloat that it starts paying for itself as it serves as a sort of floating embassy. Apparently it's a major factor in schmoozing foreign investors. And it does of course have the pageantry/ceremonial role which is perhaps more obvious.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 03 May 2021, 11:35

I agree. I am not a royalist but I think that post Brexit and after massive covid costs, the UK will need to take a number of steps to raise its profile in the world. Having floating embassy / trade welcoming boat is not expensive in the overall scheme of things and may well pay for itself many times over as long as it is not just used for Royal jollies and they keep Andrew off it.

In the same way that the US has Air Force 1 perhaps. Whatever people voted for, I do think we need to get a sense of national optimism and pride going. We must invest in key industries with future relevance that we are good at, and we must invest in education and proper skilled trade training for our youngsters.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 03 May 2021, 13:22

I sincerely hope that you are right.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 03 May 2021, 14:02

Here is what your 200m will get you down deep-South

NewBrittania.jpg
(18.88 KiB)

1m for the boat and 199m for the bribes :lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby ScaredyCat » 04 May 2021, 13:18

Steve Maskery wrote:I really don't understand why we need this ship, especially at a time of so much need and massive debt extant. Sure, it will create jobs, but that 200M will turn into 500M in the blink of an eye. Wouldn't it be cheaper to give every shipyard worker 100K and tell them to stay at home?
I just don't get it.

How would Tory backers benefit from that? This is just another way to syphon off the country's money into the pockets of Tory donors.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Gill » 04 May 2021, 13:24

'Sfunny how other nations get along quite happily without Royal Yachts.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Mike G » 04 May 2021, 13:29

ScaredyCat wrote:......How would Tory backers benefit from that? This is just another way to syphon off the country's money into the pockets of Tory donors.

That's a bit UKW rather than WH2, Andy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 May 2021, 13:32

Gill wrote:'Sfunny how other nations get along quite happily without Royal Yachts.

But to be fair, Gill, they also rub along OK without Royals, without Tower Bridge, and without the Weald and Downland Museum, amongst other things. We shouldn't always take other countries as an infallible guide for our own actions.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 04 May 2021, 13:49

My actual point here was that hopefully the new yacht is a signal that we will once again start to regenerate the shipping industry in the UK rather than allowing foreign yards to do it a bit cheaper. We will need coastal patrol vessels, fishery vessels, probably a renewed trawler fleet and so on, and these things can all deliver jobs and provide an impetus for training young people in a range of new skills and trades. It is all very well talking about economic growth, but it will not happen by itself and it would be a shame if we try to rely once again so much on service industries and tourism.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Gill » 04 May 2021, 14:12

Mike G wrote:
Gill wrote:'Sfunny how other nations get along quite happily without Royal Yachts.

But to be fair, Gill, they also rub along OK without Royals, without Tower Bridge, and without the Weald and Downland Museum, amongst other things. We shouldn't always take other countries as an infallible guide for our own actions.

True, Mike. That's why we roll cheeses down precipitous hills and have troups of drunken pot-bellied men who wave hankies around as they caper into pubs to Olde Englishe Musicke. I can't think of anywhere else such things happen.

My point is that the only financial justification for a Royal Yacht that I've heard is that it helps Britain secure trade deals with foreign nations. I'm not convinced we can't get trade deals without a Royal Yacht. Now, if anyone was to claim it would keep Prince Andrew at sea for months at a time, I'd find that argument persuasive. ;)
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Woodbloke » 04 May 2021, 14:28

Gill wrote:My point is that the only financial justification for a Royal Yacht that I've heard is that it helps Britain secure trade deals with foreign nations. I'm not convinced we can't get trade deals without a Royal Yacht.

The original HMY Britannia helped enormously to secure trade and industry deals, far more I suspect than would have been obtained without her and the new vessel, when complete will no doubt follow in her illustrious footsteps. The Royal Yacht is also a way of exercising 'soft' diplomatic power and flying the flag. As Adrian said, the 'murricans have Air Force One, which does much the same sort of job and impressive as it is, it don't have quite the same panache - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 May 2021, 14:50

Woodbloke wrote:..... As Adrian said, the 'murricans have Air Force One, which does much the same sort of job and impressive as it is, it don't have quite the same panache - Rob

Yebbut...it's got missiles :)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 May 2021, 14:55

RogerS wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:..... As Adrian said, the 'murricans have Air Force One, which does much the same sort of job and impressive as it is, it don't have quite the same panache - Rob

Yebbut...it's got missiles :)

Yebbut...do you know for an absolute certainty that HMY didn't have something similar? It did have a water slide though from the superstructure onto the deck :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 May 2021, 16:03

Woodbloke wrote:.....It did have a water slide though from the superstructure onto the deck :lol: - Rob

The new one should have one from the deck to the ocean, to solve our Andrew-problem once and for all. :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 04 May 2021, 17:31

It's called a Maxwell chute.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 04 May 2021, 17:32

AJB Temple wrote:It's called a Maxwell chute.

An up to date cultural refrence right there. :lol:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat