It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:09

swifts evolving

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

swifts evolving

Postby sunnybob » 03 May 2021, 12:46

I have watched the swifts nest here for the last 12 years. they go back to the same corners in the empty house next to me, just rebuild the old nest with more mud pellets.
But this year something has changed.

They have taken long pieces of straw from the fields and made the following

IMG_3201.JPG
(239.51 KiB)

This pic is taken from directly below, looking up into the corner of the stair well.
The nest is monstrous, almost 2 foot across. I'm thinking next year they'll start building with bricks.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Re: swifts evolving

Postby Alf » 03 May 2021, 13:23

Everyone's got much more house conscious with lockdown; I expect even the swifts want to look good on video calls. Undoubtedly they Zoom. :D
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby NickM » 03 May 2021, 13:24

Not too dry for them to make mud is it?
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 03 May 2021, 13:28

It hasnt been too dry. Summer was about 5 weeks late coming this year.
But that doesnt bother them because they just steal my swimming pool water. Youve seen those airborne fire fighting planes that scoop up water? These swifts hit the surface of my pool at about 30 mph. They actually stop dead as they scoop the water, then fly off again. :eusa-clap:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 04 May 2021, 21:26

They're expecting a cuckoo...
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby NickM » 04 May 2021, 21:30

sunnybob wrote:It hasnt been too dry. Summer was about 5 weeks late coming this year.
But that doesnt bother them because they just steal my swimming pool water. Youve seen those airborne fire fighting planes that scoop up water? These swifts hit the surface of my pool at about 30 mph. They actually stop dead as they scoop the water, then fly off again. :eusa-clap:

We had a pool at old house and the swallows would scoop up water like that. It's impressive to watch!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 05 May 2021, 00:10

When we lived in Holland we once had a swift* fly in through the french doors, fly around the room and then fly back out through the french doors again.

We were aghast.

Usually we had starlings throwing themselves at the windows and if they got in, they'd throw them selves at the windows from the inside.

* might have been a swallow.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 05 May 2021, 06:44

In the workshop. He/she/ found it's own way out without leaving any messages!

Image[/quote]

This one flew through two doors before alighting on a cupboard door in the workshop. Sat there for a few minutes, had a another flying tour then flew out again. Sadly we never manage to get them to nest.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby sunnybob » 05 May 2021, 06:49

Andy, you really dont want them to nest. Much as I like watching them swoop around, and even chatter to me while they have a rest on my fence, the amount of poop produced by them under and around a nest is astonishing.
'er indoors has to sweep the back yard everyday to remove all of it.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby clogs » 05 May 2021, 07:48

Here in Crete the Swallows are welcomed every year...
I keep a patch of dirt quite wet just for them......when we water our plants 2wice per day this muddy hollow also gets it......
Bee's need to drink water as well....
in the next year or so we have an area of garden with huge rocks and left to go comp wild..we are finding the small but colourful euro wild Iris clumps in the piles of dirt from building sites, we rescue them and plant em up in our wild garden......it will also get a small pond with water on tap....(self leveling) this is important to us.......
I can tell u the amount of Swallow poo is not generally a problem.....I can show one shop where they nest in the local village just to one side of the front door.....the owner is always washing the pavement.....I was on holiday then....
I asked if she minded the mess......
Quote, it's a privilage to have them nest at my shop.....u'll note that in Greece everybody washes their front down everyday anyway....
As for us we are not lucky enough to have Swallows nesting but there is always hope....
BUT
we do have at least 8 House sparrows nesting right now......they norm get 2 broods per year.....
We plant for the insects n bee's.......natural wonders everyday......
oh and we see the occ Hedge hog.....
oh happy day's.....thank you.......
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 May 2021, 07:48

sunnybob wrote:Andy, you really dont want them to nest. Much as I like watching them swoop around, and even chatter to me while they have a rest on my fence, the amount of poop produced by them under and around a nest is astonishing.

I don't mind the poop from our swallows. Just leave it until they go. Then clean up.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 May 2021, 08:28

yeah,
I wouldn't mind the mess especially around the barn. the chickens roam free in the garden most of the year and we cope with that.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby sunnybob » 05 May 2021, 08:47

RogerS wrote:
sunnybob wrote:Andy, you really dont want them to nest. Much as I like watching them swoop around, and even chatter to me while they have a rest on my fence, the amount of poop produced by them under and around a nest is astonishing.

I don't mind the poop from our swallows. Just leave it until they go. Then clean up.

We are both barefoot for 6 months of the year, and neither of need to grow any more :eusa-naughty:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 05 May 2021, 10:02

I wish I could get swallows or swifts to nest.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 05 May 2021, 17:14

Its gone!
Obviously the young and female have flown and they must have knocked it down on the way out. There are many other nests nearby, but that was the only one using straw from the fields.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 06 May 2021, 11:55

We had house martins nesting for many years under our eaves. The poo landed on the garage roof which didn’t cause a problem.
Then suddenly they never reappeared. We used to see dozens flying around now only very few.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 May 2021, 12:07

Rod wrote:We had house martins nesting for many years under our eaves. The poo landed on the garage roof which didn’t cause a problem.
Then suddenly they never reappeared. We used to see dozens flying around now only very few.

Rod

Ever since we've been in Wilton there have been ducks and swans on the river; it was a pleasant evening walk to stroll down to see them. This year; gone...not a single one anywhere. Do they know something we don't? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2021, 12:25

Woodbloke wrote:
Rod wrote:We had house martins nesting for many years under our eaves. The poo landed on the garage roof which didn’t cause a problem.

Rod

Ever since we've been in Wilton there have been ducks and swans on the river; it was a pleasant evening walk to stroll down to see them. This year; gone...not a single one anywhere. Do they know something we don't? - Rob

Novichok ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 06 May 2021, 12:27

Cant help with the ducks (no ponds or rivers here) but jut like the sparrows we have more than our fair share of the swifts. ,
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat