It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:59

Regional stereotype

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Regional stereotype

Postby Lurker » 11 May 2021, 13:06

There was a bit of good humoured banter about north and south the other day.
And this morning I fell into discussion with an old friend in the far north.

I used to live in Caithness, obviously you could not have jokes about tight Scotsman, but locally the same type of banter was directed at Aberdonians. My friend was originally from Aberdeen and I quicky reverted to my old self ribbing him about his tight fistedness ( actually he is a very generous bloke).

So.... What's the versions you have come across for a bit slow witted, careful with money, and the one about sheep :D
Keep it clean and light hearted.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Regional stereotype

Postby MattS » 11 May 2021, 13:26

Wife's from the Midlands, Burton and Derby area. Never in a rush, as is demonstrated by the speed they move away from traffic lights!!! They must thing we're all in race down South :lol:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 11 May 2021, 13:30

MattS wrote:Wife's from the Midlands, Burton and Derby area. Never in a rush, as is demonstrated by the speed they move away from traffic lights!!! They must thing we're all in race down South :lol:

Where are you rushing to?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 May 2021, 13:36

Many years ago I went for an interview in deepest, darkest Dorset and at lunchtime I found myself in the dinner queue behind a little Yr.7 lad, who wanted sausage and chips. He didn't know I was directly behind him and pointed with his index finger at said tray of bangers.

'Oi'l 'aaaave one o' 'eeeeee!'

Jeez, I thought, I've arrived :shock: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 11 May 2021, 13:47

Teuchters.
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby Gill » 11 May 2021, 14:13

This isn't really a regional stereotype as such but in Lincolnshire people often ask, "Do you come from Bardney?" instead of asking why you've left a door open. The saying goes back to medieval times when there was a monastry in Bardney and the origins are disputed but basically the monastry always kept its doors open.

I thought it might possibly be of interest to some. Possibly.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby RogerM » 11 May 2021, 14:23

A great uncle of mine was a Cornish sheep farmer. During one phase of my chequered career in the early 1980's I was branch manager for a building society in Helston where he held an account, along with, amongst others, the broadcaster Kenneth Kendall and actor Rodney Bewes. But I digress! One day he was complaining about the reliability of his ancient car, which had let him down yet again, so I said to him "get yourself another one uncle. You can afford it!". He just grinned at me and said "Lis'en boy" (rhymes with "sigh") " I didden get my money by spendin' 'im".
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby sunnybob » 11 May 2021, 17:00

How do you make an ESSEX girl's eyes light up?
Shine a torch in her ear.
Sarf lunnen joke that is. :lol: :lol:

When I moved fron London to Somerset in 1977, i got very worried when a complete stranger (man or woman) would walk past me in the street and say "alright lover?"
I also freaked when a three floor department store shut for lunch. W.T.F?
And I lost count of the times I had to just own up and say "I'm sorry, i cant understand you"
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 11 May 2021, 17:25

My friend has a few houses he lets. One day a new tenant asked if he could help him. What's the the matter? he said. Well ........ my neighbour asked me something and I didn't want to be rude, but I didn't understand what he said. What did he say? He asked if he could lend my ladder because he had tobs in his launders.
(borrow a ladder because he had grass growing in his gutters.)
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Phil Pascoe » 11 May 2021, 17:33

I had (about 20 years or so ago) a huge paperback of racist and totally un PC jokes. The author said there were very, very few that didn't reappear in different Countries or areas involving different peoples.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Andyp » 11 May 2021, 17:35

I don’t know what a stereotypical Englishman looks like but nothing pi$$es me off more than when people here talk to me in english before I have even opened my mouth.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 11 May 2021, 17:58

Yer its hard to figure that one Andy.
88429240_max.jpg
(56.75 KiB)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Blackswanwood » 11 May 2021, 21:54

I spend quite a bit of time with work in Edinburgh and find it odd that when people ask where I stay they are asking where I live rather than the hotel I use. Much to my PA’s amusement (she’s based in Edinburgh) I also find it strange that rather than refer to an injection as a jab in Scotland it is known as a jag.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby spb » 11 May 2021, 22:23

Blackswanwood wrote:I spend quite a bit of time with work in Edinburgh and find it odd that when people ask where I stay they are asking where I live rather than the hotel I use.

Interestingly that's also the Indian usage; my wife would say she stays in England, but 'home' is always the ancestral/family home. I wonder whether there's a connection between the two.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Gill » 12 May 2021, 05:06

When I did my RAF training at a camp near Sleaford, the whole squadron was specifically instructed not to react if any of the locals called us, 'me ducks', 'ducky', 'duckie-poo', or anything similar. The directing staff were most insistent on this point. Being a yellow-belly, I smiled at this briefing because it's such a common form of address in Lincolnshire. However, I do remember three members of my flight having to restrain one of their colleagues who ventured into the Australian Boot & Shoe Company shop in Lincoln (I kid ye not) to buy patent leather dress shoes when the assistant addressed him in such terms!
Gill
Sapling

Postby sunnybob » 12 May 2021, 05:36

On my very first meeting of a true country Somersetonian, I was asked "eeeegonneeeebiiiideonnnawileee"?

Think of someone chewing a piece of straw and wearing a smock while saying that and youre close.
Luckily I was with someone who was bi lingual and he translated it as "are you going to stay?"
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 12 May 2021, 09:55

Gill wrote:This isn't really a regional stereotype as such but in Lincolnshire people often ask, "Do you come from Bardney?" instead of asking why you've left a door open. The saying goes back to medieval times when there was a monastry in Bardney and the origins are disputed but basically the monastry always kept its doors open.

I’m only 25 miles from Bardney but hadn’t heard that one so thank you it’s "were you born in a barn" around here. But then again I’m only 40 miles from Doncaster and that may as well be a different planet!
Only 28 miles from Hull, anybody else know what a merble fern is?
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby RogerM » 12 May 2021, 14:11

Cabinetman wrote:
Gill wrote:This isn't really a regional stereotype as such but in Lincolnshire people often ask, "Do you come from Bardney?" instead of asking why you've left a door open. The saying goes back to medieval times when there was a monastry in Bardney and the origins are disputed but basically the monastry always kept its doors open.

I’m only 25 miles from Bardney but hadn’t heard that one so thank you it’s "were you born in a barn" around here. But then again I’m only 40 miles from Doncaster and that may as well be a different planet!
Only 28 miles from Hull, anybody else know what a merble fern is?

The "Were you born in a barn?" accusation was always met with the response "No, just conceived in one" in our family.

My favourite regional stereotype quotes come from PG Wodehouse:-

"It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine." from Blandings Castle, and the opening lines of The luck of the Bodkins :-

Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French.

As true now as when it was written 85 years ago!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Mike G » 12 May 2021, 14:21

sunnybob wrote:....When I moved fron London to Somerset in 1977..........I lost count of the times I had to just own up and say "I'm sorry, i cant understand you"

I moved from Australia to North Devon in 1975. I hadn't got the faintest idea what anyone was talking about for months.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 12 May 2021, 14:25

The funny thing is, Somerset and Devon are pretty thick accents, but move all the way to Cornwall and although a strong "accent" theyre easily understanable.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 May 2021, 16:24

sunnybob wrote:The funny thing is, Somerset and Devon are pretty thick accents, but move all the way to Cornwall and although a strong "accent" theyre easily understanable.

Full of incommers that’s why, go inland a bit
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Gill » 12 May 2021, 20:45

Cabinetman wrote:...I’m only 25 miles from Bardney ... I’m only 40 miles from Doncaster...

I'm guessing that puts you in the vicinity of Binbrook or Caistor, which is a lovely part of the country. I'm south of you in Alford, right on the edge of the Wolds. Have you ever tried that timber yard just outside Horncastle? It's nigh impossible to get quality timber where I live but the other day a friend told me they have a decent stock.
Gill
Sapling

Postby Cabinetman » 13 May 2021, 08:52

Gill wrote:
Cabinetman wrote:...I’m only 25 miles from Bardney ... I’m only 40 miles from Doncaster...

I'm guessing that puts you in the vicinity of Binbrook or Caistor, which is a lovely part of the country. I'm south of you in Alford, right on the edge of the Wolds. Have you ever tried that timber yard just outside Horncastle? It's nigh impossible to get quality timber where I live but the other day a friend told me they have a decent stock.

Hi Gill, yes well deduced, Caistor but my workshop is in Grimsby. Alford’s nice, my son was at the Grammar school there.
No I’ve never needed to go to that Timberyard, I always use Somerscales in Kealby, much closer to my workshop and always found them to be excellent, and reasonably good prices as well. What sort of timber do you normally use Gill?
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 13 May 2021, 09:57

Cabinetman wrote:...I always use Somerscales in Kealby, much closer to my workshop and always found them to be excellent, and reasonably good prices as well.

I envy anyone with a good timber yard within spitting distance. I either have to go and see a mate up into the woods north of Andover, or take a jaunt down the A303 to Yandles at Martock in Somerset. Salisbury as such is a 'dry hole' :( when it comes to timber procurement, though there is East Bros that caters more for the joinery trade - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 13 May 2021, 10:06

It is important as a mangler, when you buy a house, to pick a location that is close to good woodyards. I am within 10 miles of a top notch oak timber yard, feller sawmill and direct importer, a trade joinery supplier of hardwoods and softwoods, an exotic timber supplier, a very good trade tool supplier and repairer, plus various builders yards and DIY sheds and Axminster big shed is not much further. Unfortunately I am 132 miles from my barn where almost all of my wood is stored and I don't have a van or trailer :lol:
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat