It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:21

Do you realise who I am?!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Do you realise who I am?!

Postby RogerS » 20 May 2021, 22:04

AJB Temple wrote:I feel a bit sorry for him actually. On his music channel he wears a weird wig and calls himself Jez. Prior to lockdown he says on his website was going to the supermarket cafe every day to get some human contact. That is actually really sad and I hope he finds some companionship.

He's an old man now, re-living past glories, and probably lonely. I know he is deluded but still it is sad.

I agree. But the arrogance to suggest that he is better than Chippendale ! I looked at some of his early stuff and if he actually made it then it's pretty good TBH. He just needs to ring his neck in a bit.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 20 May 2021, 22:15

Trevanion wrote:It does just keep getting better, and better :lol:

Whoever posted that comment about the router having a 3mm plunge and the wife arguing that a 3mm plunge wasn't enough, was genius. (You know who you are, Chris ;)) It's a shame it got deleted.

So often tarred by the brush of malicious gossip.
:lol:
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 20 May 2021, 23:12

I really don't understand the point of a film like that. Some OK photography, but what on earth is the point? "Here is a router, it's OK."
The comments were removed by the time I watched it.
I've never met the guy, I have seen some of his furniture. Sat in a chair. Not my style.
I think he must be quite an elderly gentleman by now, I'm pretty sure he is older than I am, and I'm no spring chicken. He probably made a decent contribution to woodworking-kind, some decades ago. All history.
I have some sympathy, I know the feeling.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Gill » 20 May 2021, 23:25

I try to be kind when I see online contributions from people who I know to be elderly. They might be in the early stages of dementia.

I always try to be kind anyway... honestly... truly... genuinely...

... look, leave me to my delusions. I'm happy in my own special world.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Lurker » 21 May 2021, 06:29

Appears that many of us were coming to the same conclusion. Mental issues due to old age. There but for the grace of god....

Not that I think there is a deity
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 13 Sep 2021, 19:12

Jeremy's put out another video a week or two ago I missed!

At least he didn't call himself an innovative routing pioneer this time! I'm not so sure about his new switch, it seems like it would be very easy to accidentally turn on when it's resting on the bench and something may collide with it, I personally would've opted for another slide-type switch as the router originally had.

Interesting comment by Tom Trees :lol:

One-handed use of the router is quite safe with the smaller bits such as a small round over (Up to about an 6mm radius, beyond that it gets quite strenuous on the wrist), I personally use a 3mm radius cutter in a Bosch POF500A one-handed all the time when rounding over general joinery work, but the 500A is a different shape to the 400A and it's easier to grab the body of the router and have better control over it as you're grasping it at its centre of mass and rotation, with the 400A you're having to hold onto a handle away from the body of the tool and it can be a bit awkward to use one-handed. Although, a lot of router-related accidents are down to one-handed use, generally because of operator inexperience and taking too heavy of a cut with the incorrect tool for the job which causes the router to kickback or wrench out of the operator's hand.

Tom is right about the use of f-clamps or even quick clamps to hold workpieces down securely to the bench, they don't have any less grip than a G-clamp unless you're trying to exert a literal tonne of force into the workpiece which you're not, you're just stopping it from moving which only requires a pinch. If anything I think you could get as much force out of a new Bessey f-clamp as you could from a Record g-clamp. A rubber mat such as a drawer liner on the benchtop also works very well for stopping parts from sliding around while you're working on them with the router.

I'm not sure how Jeremy can claim that his videos vastly outsold Roy Sutton's videos, I think that may be a made-up fact to make himself seem superior in some way.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 13 Sep 2021, 19:48

The title of this thread reminds me of the brilliant line from The Thin Blue Line when a pompous Hooray Henry gets puilled into the police station.

PHH - "Do you know who my father is?"
Desk Sergeant - "Have you tried asking your mother?"

Wonderful.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Sep 2021, 22:59

tosspot.png
(150.9 KiB)

I can't wait. All a-quiver.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Sep 2021, 23:13

Didn't we decide that this guy has probably got dementia or something?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 13 Sep 2021, 23:24

Indeed. I for one decided a while ago on reflection that he is a bit of a sad case who needs to bolster his self esteem and this is his way of doing it. Let's be kind. I know he's deluded, but he is a case for compassion now perhaps.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 14 Sep 2021, 07:53

I really don’t understand the animosity here towards the bloke, ok he’s got a high opinion of himself but he’s not alone in that. The work that I’ve seen of his isn’t to my taste but it’s well made if a little uncomfortable as in the case with his chair but again he isn’t the first to put form over function.

As for mending an old tool with a toggle switch I can’t really fault him, it’s no worse than the rocker switch I had on an early router & as for routing unclamped timber whilst not hse safe it happens regularly when away from the bench.

He appears to have carved a career out of woodwork so can’t be that bad https://societyofdesignercraftsmen.org. ... un#gallery

He must be well in his 70’s now & knowing quite a few chaps of that age the adage “the older I get the better I was” is often applicable, just cut him some slack or better still ignore you tube & do some woodwork :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 14 Sep 2021, 20:17

Doug wrote:I really don’t understand the animosity here towards the bloke, ok he’s got a high opinion of himself but he’s not alone in that. The work that I’ve seen of his isn’t to my taste but it’s well made if a little uncomfortable as in the case with his chair but again he isn’t the first to put form over function.

There's no real animosity as such, it's just the outlandish statements he comes out with sometimes raise a few eyebrows, from me at least.

As I said before, if he just toned down the ego a bit and showed good work instead of stuff of a quality below that of what I would expect from a pre-teen (I understand that his last dozen or so projects have been "prototypes", but come on!) while talking about how much of an innovative pioneer he is maybe he would be taken more seriously. As has already been said, he's getting on a bit and I would understand that working isn't as easy anymore but if that's the case I think videos of him simply talking about modern furniture design, his previous experiences from the past, stories, and so on I think he would have more viewers.

I thought this video he did last year was quite good, a nice longish video that's not overly pomp, and the work was quite good (the dovetails in particular were quite impressive for how complex the shape was, showing that the man can indeed produce good work!) in a rather difficult material to work with in an unconventional manner:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Alasdair » 17 Sep 2021, 13:55

Have to say I agree with Trevanion my experience of Trend cutters is similar with carbide showers and bearings leaving cutters after only a few minutes use. I now avoid them like the plague.
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat