It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:20

In a previous life, I was Chakka Khan, no wait...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: In a previous life, I was Chakka Khan, no wait...

Postby droogs » 14 Jun 2021, 13:23

Just an update. Doc just come round, not happy with how things are improving (too slow) so is arranging for me to be admitted at the main hospital. So will let you know how things go later.

:|
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2021, 13:30

droogs wrote:Just an update. Doc just come round, not happy with how things are improving (too slow) so is arranging for me to be admitted at the main hospital. So will let you know how things go later.

Blimey..what rough luck. Fingers crossed for you. May all the nurses tend to your every need.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2021, 13:31

RogerS wrote:
droogs wrote:Just an update. Doc just come round, not happy with how things are improving (too slow) so is arranging for me to be admitted at the main hospital. So will let you know how things go later.

Blimey..what rough luck. Fingers crossed for you. May all the nurses tend to your every need.

Rough luck indeed but you can’t carry on as you are. Hope they find a solution quickly.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby droogs » 15 Jun 2021, 22:51

My foot's reaction to the IV antibiotics

OneDrive link for picture https://1drv.ms/u/s!An_F5-xpP08Up1-VKWK ... R?e=a8zlj6

They say I'll be here till the weekend, trying to decide if they need to operate :cry:
droogs
Old Oak

Postby sunnybob » 16 Jun 2021, 05:12

You should have been in there three weeks ago .Lets hope they can work their magic.
thanks for not posting the gory pic without a warning. I dont do gory pics any more :eusa-naughty: :P 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Jun 2021, 07:25

droogs wrote:My foot's reaction to the IV antibiotics

OneDrive link for picture https://1drv.ms/u/s!An_F5-xpP08Up1-VKWK ... R?e=a8zlj6

They say I'll be here till the weekend, trying to decide if they need to operate :cry:

That's bad news, Alan. What sort of op are they talking about ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 16 Jun 2021, 07:28

sunnybob wrote:You should have been in there three weeks ago ...

Except they wouldn't have known there was much wrong three weeks ago, would they?
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby sunnybob » 16 Jun 2021, 07:29

brain fade, meant to be two, not three.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 16 Jun 2021, 14:56

Following some scans, they think the gout is due to hemachromatosis (iron inclusion in joints) rather than wuthering heights victorian good living (uric acid in joints) gout. They cant be sure until the infection is gone and that will take a couple of days on the IV anti-bios. so just need to sit here and wait and see. cheers for the comments guys much appreciated
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Phil Pascoe » 16 Jun 2021, 15:38

I thought it unlikely to be straightforward gout.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby droogs » 19 Jun 2021, 22:11

Hi Guys
jus an update. After MRI scans it seems I have a major infection in the bone itself. So having had a week of IV anti biotics I had the knucle joint of my big toe drained today by orthopedic surgeon. They took out 7ml of gunk from inside my joints. Hurt like hell but now the relief from the pressure is astonishing. Still have about 4 day of IV to go and then they think they can concentrate on the actual gout. Having to get my blood sugars monitored as they think the weakness of my liver due to the HCT has caused probs with my pancreas and is giving me the problem. They think it may be putting me in the hi pre diabetic range but the readings are swinging from 7.6 to 12.4 and all points inbetween throughout the day, but they can't be sure until the infection is gone and more tests are done. So looks like I will be here in the hospital for at least another 5 days :(

Still swelling down by about 90% and pain much relieved. Still on 40mg of morphine tablets during the day and oralmorph every 2-4 hours. the week has flown past as I have been pretty out of it for the most part. Can't wait to get home tho
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 20 Jun 2021, 06:42

Good to hear that the cause is now known. Hang on in there. Things can only get better.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 20 Jun 2021, 09:17

Andyp wrote:Good to hear that the cause is now known. Hang on in there. Things can only get better.

To echo Andy's comments.... :text-bravo:

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 20 Jun 2021, 19:14

Pleased to hear you're getting a bit better. I've had debilitating pain for years caused by arthritis in my feet resulting in two operations to fuse both big toe joints yet I can only imagine the pain you've gone through.
I hope you get well soon
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Dec 2021, 18:29

Just finished re-reading this thread again and it is very sobering because I'm a bit worried that I might be going down that route TBH although luckily in the early stages.

Last Tuesday, me and Bill, the woodman were milling up some felled larch with an Alaskan Mill. Planks 4" thick and weighing in at around 65kg.

We were carrying a plank to the stack, me leading and holding the plank behind me in two hands. Bill stumbled over a log and let go his end. The act of that dropping and my forward momentum meant my end being pulled out of my hands and as I was still in midstride, the sharp corner smashed into the back of my left leg. I had a quick look, couldn't see any blood, could still move my leg so Achilles intact fortunately and we pressed on. The day ended and I went into clean up and ....oh dear...after the application of jury-rigged plasters of various sizes.

Next day leg had swollen up and drove down to the Minor Injuries Unit where my fevered brow was gently swabbed by a dusky maiden ..stop it :o . Proper job done and a clean up but too late as infected. Flucloxacillin 500mG 4x. Swelling up and down but carried on working. Saturday went back down to the MIU for a dressing check. Different nurse, bit concerned at swelling, colour, etc and so Flucloxacillin doubled up to 1G 4x a day. Told that if it got much worse on Sunday to go to the Big Boys Minor Injuries Unit at Hexham General. It didn't seem to.

Today toddle down to see the same nurse who sent me off to the BBMIU, x-ray ...nothing broken. Doc says cut back to 500mG ...possibility of liver damage with Flucloxacillin (note to self ....then WTF do they give it ?), keep leg elevated. How long for? As long as necessary :o Doesn't he know I have a staircase to finish ?

So I looked at your thread and your photos. For your first one, by the end of the day and setting your inflation on a scale of 1 to 10 at 10 then I'm at 8. But it does go down overnight and so perhaps worrying unduly. But at the back of my mind, I keep seeing your photo No 2. Or the possibility of setting myself up for a DVT later on because the inside blood vessels are all crushed up...why would my foot bruise when the calve was hit ? :eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Dec 2021, 20:02

Bloody hell, Roger........
Last edited by Mike G on 07 Dec 2021, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Dec 2021, 20:10

Too much detail there Roger.
I hope you will be on the mend soon.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 06 Dec 2021, 20:17

Andyp wrote:Too much detail there Roger.
I hope you will be on the mend soon.
And I was about to send more pictures

Not to worry. Our area has a power cut from 5.45pm. Just cooking dinner. Ain't generators great. Think I might take a thermos if hot water up to IdiotMan

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 06 Dec 2021, 20:24

Good grief Roger, you are like me when I broke my leg!
As Mike said leg up when you sit down.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Gill » 06 Dec 2021, 21:48

RogerS wrote:... Different nurse, bit concerned at swelling, colour, etc...

She was only trying to help you. There's no need to tell us you were a bit concerned about her swelling and colour just because she wasn't the dusky maid who tended you previously.

;)

I bet your leg's tender - here are my wishes for a speedy recovery.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby droogs » 06 Dec 2021, 23:04

Oh mate my heart goes out to you. Keep an eye out on the swelling if it gets to the point of the foot starting to blister then get down A&E as you will have internal bleeding. If not sorted can lead to gangrene quite quickly. keep it raised and cool. The cold helps reduce how much blood goes to the extremities. And stay off it, pee in a pot if you have to.
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 11 Dec 2021, 12:13

droogs wrote: And stay off it, pee in a pot if you have to.

A small bottle should be ok for Rog :lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 12 Dec 2021, 21:38

Alan, this has been some 'epic'; feel for you Mucker.

You mentioned Naproxen a while back in your meds list; are you still on it please? It needs watching, as in taking Omeprazole or similar with it to counteract gastric reflux, or worse, "silent reflux".

Thinking of you, Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby droogs » 13 Dec 2021, 00:53

Cheers Sam, very much appreciated. I am still on them but did have a break. taking them again as still have not had a peodiatry appointment to assess the damage to the joints in my feet from the osteomyalitis. Takes about 20 mins each morning after taking one before I stop hobbling around. I have tablets for lining my stomach to prevent problems. On other fronts my iron count has come down from 8500 to around 1600 over this year which aint bad considering it should be around 50 and got the all clear from the haematologist about 10 days ago, so in full remission regarding the lymphoma.

just started studying for the HGV theory test after persuading the DWP to pay for the course so I could get back into working in a job with fairly restricted people contact kind of thing. They said yes quite quickly really. Soo, hope to be able to get to being in work and driving in January :D
droogs
Old Oak

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 13 Dec 2021, 12:36

so in full remission regarding the lymphoma

That is brilliant news Alan. I spent most of the last five years taking a family member to and from "The Bobby Robson", so 'ah ken fine weel' what that result means to you.

Hope your HGV course goes well. No2 Offspring is presently doing his Class C+E(?) course for blues and twos. Says: "It's great craic watching the traffic on the A1 just part like the Red Sea as you come up behind them with everything going". 8-)
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat