It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:02

Woodworking-Related Youtube Videos

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Woodworking-Related Youtube Videos

Postby Trevanion » 02 Jun 2021, 18:58

I wanted to post a couple of video recommendations up, but I realised this forum doesn't have a general video dump thread! So... here we are I guess! :lol:

Anyway, Matt BadgerWorkshop did a lovely job restoring a little but extraordinarily heavy-duty Cooksley patternmaker's benchtop surface planer:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Woodworking-Related Youtube Videos

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Jun 2021, 09:04

You need to stop this! It's making me want to have a go and I don't have time!
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Jun 2021, 09:05

Or permission from the jobs scheduler for that matter.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Jun 2021, 16:23

We’ve had a lot of new members since I first posted this link of Ben Thresher’s water powered mill in rural Vermont so I think it is worth posting again. It is nearly an full hour but I hope you will agree well worth it

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,187

Ben Thresher's mill is one of the few water-powered, wood-working mills left in this country. Operating in rural Vermont since 1848, the mill is a unique link between the age of craft and the age of modern industry. In this excerpt, Ben uses his machines and finely crafted tools to turn out a horsedrawn sled for his neighbors in the farming community. The film evokes the quality of rural New England life, and at the same time provides a close, step-by-step view of Ben's woodworking processes.

The link takes you to a website from where you can view the vid. Enjoy.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby heimlaga » 05 Jun 2021, 20:03

As you have started I want to suggest a few more videos:

Recreating a 17th century log built cottage in Norway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4746vgMS-w

Recreating a 19th century log built cottage in Savo in Finland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTfLGt59qo

Making clogs, spoons and chair in Västergötland in Sweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDkliy1DEU

Making skis in Telemark in Norway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPVqUbcjDY

Building an eka (Swedish variety of pram boat)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xG9y1yhj-s

Building a Nordfjord boat in Norway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQAJyWF6MM
heimlaga
New Shoots

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 05 Jun 2021, 23:34

Heartily agree Andy, I have watched that several times.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 06 Jun 2021, 20:37

I quite enjoy the "showdown" videos from Project Farm, despite them not really applying to stuff you can get here as he's based in the US. One he's put up today goes over circular saw blades and it's inadvertently a good demonstration of what I've mentioned before about how important tooth geometry is when cutting timber, all the blades he uses up until the Bosch have positive rake teeth which rip their way through the timber in a couple of seconds, the Bosch, however, appears to have a slightly negative rake, so it takes over three times as long to rip through the timber. The "Big Blue" (you'd never be able to sell that in this country, that's all kinds of illegal hoodoo!) and Amana blades also appear to have a neutral/negative rake and also rip much slower.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 14 Sep 2021, 20:43

One of my favorite characters on Youtube is Poroldchap, with his trademark "waffles" :lol:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 26 Feb 2022, 13:52

My good friend Matt has started uploading more videos recently and intends to upload more, Matt is a very skilled time-served joiner, machine woodworker, and woodturner and is well worth a follow. Seeing a busy working workshop on YouTube is quite refreshing compared to the ones that could be considered science labs with their spotless benches and systainers all racked out, no leather aprons or river tables here!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCisDpVW7ZddA1MOqjD4SGlw

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 12 Mar 2022, 09:41

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 13 Mar 2022, 19:08

Trevanion, early last year you educated me regarding tooth rake and last week I had the chance to air my knowledge (show off).
A visit to yandles rewarded me with a plank of padauk 19 cm x 7.5 cm. It was way too long to go in my suitcase so a friend with a workshop offered to cut it for me.
He has a dewalt radial arm saw, and as he put the plank on the bench and started to pull the saw through the wood I asked if the blade was negative rake. He blanked me and tried to pull it through. The blade jammed solid. He turned it off, reset it, and tried again despite my asking again about negative rake. On the THIRD jam, I took over and explained about the teeth. I pulled the saw to the front, and pushed the blade straight through that plank. :eusa-dance:

I then explained things to him. He had used this saw for years and never knew.
How smug am I :lol: :lol: 8-)
Oh, and I also bought back a festool panther 24 tooth ripping blade for my table saw. Am I a professional now I own a festool? 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 13 Mar 2022, 20:00

sunnybob wrote:I took over and explained about the teeth. I pulled the saw to the front, and pushed the blade straight through that plank.

You mean you pulled the saw head in front of the plank and cut backwards into it as opposed to pulling it through the workpiece? If that’s the case you were quite lucky it didn’t end with a catastrophic bang as the piece got picked up by the upward spinning teeth :lol:

Positive take teeth will have a tendency to snatch as you pull the saw head through as your friend experienced, a negative rake blade has a scraping effect on the timber as opposed to the cleaving effect of a positive rake blade and has less of a tendency for catching/snatching.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 13 Mar 2022, 20:46

AW, c'mon, I thought I had finally learnt something.
With the blade all the way back behind the wood, and pulling the blade towards me. The thing bit hard and jammed everytime.

With the blade nearest to me, and wood pushed back against the back fence, pushing the blade away from me got the desired result.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 13 Mar 2022, 22:48

sunnybob wrote:AW, c'mon, I thought I had finally learnt something.
With the blade all the way back behind the wood, and pulling the blade towards me. The thing bit hard and jammed everytime.

With the blade nearest to me, and wood pushed back against the back fence, pushing the blade away from me got the desired result.

Padauk is a particularly hard wood, and probably didn't appreciate the climb-cutting nature of the radial arm saw, combined with a positive rake blade would cause some pretty severe snatches. By cutting in reverse, you essentially performed what is called a "conventional" cut which is all but conventional on a radial arm saw, it is called "conventional" as it is what is typical on most machines like a table saw or router table, you're feeding against the rotation of the cutter or blade.

Here's a rough sketch of what I'm talking about:

The top sketch is the usual way to use a radial arm saw, the blade comes forward and cuts downward upon the workpiece, forcing it into the table and up against the fence, the bottom sketch is what you did, the blade is cutting upwards and can force the workpiece up and over the fence if given the chance, but by pushing from the front to the back you were forcing the blade through the workpiece against it's rotation, which you could argue gives more control on the saw unit as you're pushing it back and it can't snatch forwards, but the up-cutting of the workpiece is a big no-no, if the workpiece and offcut were very well clamped it could be considered a relatively safe operation but hand pressure alone is asking for trouble.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 14 Mar 2022, 09:27

I didnt check the blade too closely, but it had a lot of teeth, I would think 60 or even more.
I shall have to ask him to look closely. He isnt a woodworker, he just used the machine to cut a lot of plywood to fit out his new workshop with many, many drawers.
Oh well, I was an authority for a few days. :eusa-whistle:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 20 Mar 2022, 00:14

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 21 Jul 2022, 00:06

A very interesting video popped up into my recommendations about Lichtenburg Burning/Fractal Burning, or more about how extremely dangerous using a high-voltage microwave transformer in a jury-rigged fashion to achieve the effect is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBeSKL9zVro

I wouldn't recommend clicking on the link in the description to see the electrocution injury he mentions as an example in the video unless you have a strong stomach as it's not for the faint of heart.

Another video is an interview with a man who was electrocuted doing the burning effect with a transformer, giving a graphic detail of what happened and what he experienced. Quite a large amount of strong language in this one if you don't want kids to listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye09i4JQAYs
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 21 Jul 2022, 08:25

Trevanion wrote:A very interesting video popped up into my recommendations about Lichtenburg Burning/Fractal Burning, or more about how extremely dangerous using a high-voltage microwave transformer in a jury-rigged fashion to achieve the effect is.

I also saw that video recently. I previously knew nothing about fractal burning and my initial reaction was disbelief that anyone would think it was a good idea to jury rig something like that. It seems so dodgy to me.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 21 Jul 2022, 11:54

I'm slightly surprised at the number of injuries caused by this. If I wanted to do this, I would set up the high voltage stuff at one end of a long mains cable, and be at the other end of it when plugging it in. This was my standard practice when doing dodgy things with mains (testing a laser power supply, making improvised X-rays, that sort of thing). But then the injuries are sometimes resulting from people holding the electrodes one in each hand to manually apply them :o
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Trevanion » 21 Jul 2022, 21:26

Sheffield Tony wrote:I'm slightly surprised at the number of injuries caused by this. If I wanted to do this, I would set up the high voltage stuff at one end of a long mains cable, and be at the other end of it when plugging it in. This was my standard practice when doing dodgy things with mains (testing a laser power supply, making improvised X-rays, that sort of thing). But then the injuries are sometimes resulting from people holding the electrodes one in each hand to manually apply them :o

Yep, it seems a lot of people are holding the electrodes in their hands, this in this video:

I think it's a case of monkey-see-monkey-do, if you want to do the burning and the example you're shown is of a very cheap jury-rigged system doing a decent job you're most likely going to emulate it. I think the analogy in the first video of the electric shock being the equivalent of being in the electric chair or touching overhead cables does give a bit of gravity to the danger aspect that a lot of the videos that show it working don't beyond a message saying "This is very dangerous".
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 12 Aug 2022, 23:19

This popped into my suggested videos and of course, I fell for the clickbait title as we all do...

But to my surprise, it was quite a pleasant watch for a North American (more specifically, Canadian) woodworking video, and I thought some others here might like it as it's not as bombastic as most North American woodworking videos and has some quite interesting points and a pretty decent bit of actual furniture is made. It's quite refreshing to actually see someone make something nice with fairly rudimentary kit in a smallish workspace, unlike some who have aircraft hangars filled with every bit of kit conceivable and they only make workshop projects or really basic outdoor furniture out of pallet wood. If I was a total beginner I would find it quite informative I think.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 24 Aug 2022, 10:26

Kind of woodwork related, thought a few here might appreciate it.

https://youtu.be/2qcsWajivnI

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 25 Feb 2023, 01:11

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 25 Feb 2023, 09:45

He's a clever chap. If I was going to all that trouble I think I would of used a better quality drill.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 25 Feb 2023, 10:53

That was good & I agree a very clever chap now if he does one on making a rise & fall mechanism for an old pillar drill with no rack & pinion on the table I like to see that.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat