It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:50

Eclipse

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Eclipse

Postby Steve Maskery » 10 Jun 2021, 11:12

We have 100% cloud cover here :(
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Eclipse

Postby Lurker » 10 Jun 2021, 12:21

Same here, first time for weeks
I had dug out my dark filter for my camera that I bought for the last time this was viewable.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 10 Jun 2021, 14:17

IMG_0796.JPG
(77.92 KiB)

We had a few breaks in the cloud.
Picture was rotated. Ho hum.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby sunnybob » 10 Jun 2021, 15:11

Cloud? Sorry, What?
8-) :lol: 8-) :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 10 Jun 2021, 17:29

another remark like that and we will report you :D
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 10 Jun 2021, 17:40

In the interest of "telling the truth and shaming the devil", there was actually a cloud this afternoon :shock: It was grey and looked as though it might hold water.
But it passed :lol: 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 10 Jun 2021, 17:42

flying haggis wrote:another remark like that and we will report you :D

:text-goodpost:
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lons » 10 Jun 2021, 18:10

You just have to ignore Bob, he's possibly suffering from sunstroke. :lol:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Jun 2021, 18:24

Bob is also blissfully unaware that global warming means he will soon be living in a desert, with his pensions consumed by air conditioning bills and wondering where his next drink of water will come from. Cyprus has a water shortage and currently imports 8 million cubic metres pa by tanker from Greece. Seawater desalination plants are overloaded. Bit concerning I would think? But I am not a sun lover. I walk on the shady side of the street 8-)

Weather here in Kent this year has been perfect. Wet May has done absolute wonders for the trees and garden. We had two weeks dry and then another deluge. Everything is super lush.

Baby fish have appeared in the narrow "canal" in their hundreds. Bizarre.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Jun 2021, 18:24

But no visible eclipse here.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 10 Jun 2021, 20:45

No big deal here either, bright sun in a cloudless sky, but just a tiny bite missing from the sun's disc.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby sunnybob » 11 Jun 2021, 05:46

AJB Temple wrote:Bob is also blissfully unaware that global warming means he will soon be living in a desert, with his pensions consumed by air conditioning bills and wondering where his next drink of water will come from. Cyprus has a water shortage and currently imports 8 million cubic metres pa by tanker from Greece. Seawater desalination plants are overloaded. Bit concerning I would think? But I am not a sun lover. I walk on the shady side of the street 8-)

Weather here in Kent this year has been perfect. Wet May has done absolute wonders for the trees and garden. We had two weeks dry and then another deluge. Everything is super lush.

Baby fish have appeared in the narrow "canal" in their hundreds. Bizarre.

Adrian, your information is woefully out of date :eusa-naughty:

Strangely.... we moved here in 08, unaware that it was the 4th year of drought. All the reservoirs were so low that people were wading in and pulling out the fish for food.
The whole island was on a rolling water turn off. On for three days, off for two. Oil super tankers were converted to water carrying and a pipeline was built out in the sea because the super tankers were too deep to get close to the shore. Due to the political impasse with the north (which had a lot of water), one of the southern MP's resigned, started up a supply company, and bought water in from the north by pipe.

In 09, it rained, oh boy did it rain. I thought I was back in England. And then it rained, and then it rained some more. Three years later every reservoir on the island was overflowing into the sea. The desalination plants were shut down, and car wash businesses boomed.

2021 and the reservoirs are still full (admittedly partly due to a million less tourists showering every day).
In the winter and spring this island is as green as the Somerset I came from. Now the uncultivated fields are golden brown, and the vegetation grows a foot a week.

I'm fully happy. :eusa-clap: I didnt move here to be cold you know. 8-) :lol:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Jun 2021, 09:45

It came from on-line articles Bob and I agree they are out of date. Cyrpus is widely reported as being the most water stressed area in the EU eg https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/6/10/2898/htm, (there are also 2021 articles) but my main reading on the subject has nothing to do with Cyprus as I have been looking into water stress in the Middle East generally and the effects on economics and propensity for war. This is a little bit of lightweight research work for another purpose.

Glad you are enjoying the climate.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 11 Jun 2021, 10:55

If its in the newspaper, it must be true :eusa-doh: :lol: :lol:

Being made entirely of volcanic tuffa rock (apart from some granite mountains in the middle) There is abundant water underground for crops. The sea water forces its way through the rock and becomes fresh on the journey.
The farming regions use wind driven pumps in almost every field (although electric pumps are now replacing them as they break) Irrigation for crops is not a problem at all. Although potable, this water is high in dissolved stone, so filters are strongly recommended before consuming. Its fine for washing and even vegetable cooking. Pure drinking water is pulled out from the mountains in reasonable quantities.
There are drinking water dispensing machines every few streets and I can fill a 20 litre water cooler bottle for one euro. 5 cents a litre compares favourably with Evian I think :eusa-dance: 8-)

Its only the tourists that stress the islands reserves, but of course tourism is more than 40% of GDP, so its a trade off.
Just looked up gdp percentage. googles top entry said 22%, second entry said 80%, but surely, if its written down its true? :eusa-clap: I'm inclined to a middling figure on that subject.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat