It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:05

Spam reporting

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Spam reporting

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jun 2021, 15:18

When spam manages to get through my providers spam filters which is only a few per week, I've got into the habit of forwarding them to the Gov't address for such things where they claim to investigate them and try and shut down the senders. Seems like a good idea.
Their "thank you" response claims they have had 6.1m sent in and removed 45k scams and taken down 90k malicious URLs

Recently Outlook who seem to have replaced hotmail as host of my disposable email addy have started recognising that I'm forwarding spam and block it.
Two issues with that. 1 it does not now get investigated and 2 If they recognise it as spam why did they forward it to me in the first place!
Plonkers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Spam reporting

Postby sunnybob » 12 Jun 2021, 16:31

Because theyre being paid to.
Rule one... follow the money
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jun 2021, 12:46

Bob

Don't forward the email, send a new email with the spam mail as an attachment, that will get around it. Unless of course the Government service needs it to be forwarded.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2021, 13:10

TrimTheKing wrote:Bob

Don't forward the email, send a new email with the spam mail as an attachment, that will get around it. Unless of course the Government service needs it to be forwarded.

Not my area of expertise but would not that strip out the headers which inturn lose clues to the source?

Also not sure how to attach an email to another?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby spb » 15 Jun 2021, 13:40

9fingers wrote:Not my area of expertise but would not that strip out the headers which inturn lose clues to the source?

Other way around, usually - forwarding an email the normal way just writes a new email, from you, with the content of the previous one at the bottom. Attaching it saves the entire original mail, headers and all, into a file, then attaches that to the new one.

Most mail clients that I know of have a "Forward as attachment" option, usually just below the regular forward option; that'll do what you want in this case.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2021, 13:57

spb wrote:
9fingers wrote:Not my area of expertise but would not that strip out the headers which inturn lose clues to the source?

Other way around, usually - forwarding an email the normal way just writes a new email, from you, with the content of the previous one at the bottom. Attaching it saves the entire original mail, headers and all, into a file, then attaches that to the new one.

Most mail clients that I know of have a "Forward as attachment" option, usually just below the regular forward option; that'll do what you want in this case.

That feature is not supported on the outlook account (on iphone) where most spam arrives and where their postmaster rejects forwarding it as spam.
My main mail accounts on PC are well filtered so get little spam but after digging, SeaMonkey does support 'fwd as attachment'

iPhone options
474B77E3-138A-4AFD-BCB0-23C48F599265.png
(664.38 KiB)

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jun 2021, 16:16

Yep as spb says, forwarding the email as an attachment is the way to go as that keeps all the header info, without that it's fairly useless to them anyway, so I would have thought that's what they would have been telling people to do... :eusa-think:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2021, 16:22

TrimTheKing wrote:Yep as spb says, forwarding the email as an attachment is the way to go as that keeps all the header info, without that it's fairly useless to them anyway, so I would have thought that's what they would have been telling people to do... :eusa-think:

Yes but did you read what I wrote Mark? iphone/outlook does not offer forwarding as attachment.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jun 2021, 16:39

Yep, read it but assumed you would just do the needful from the pc... If you don't have that account on the PC then yes, you're scuppered.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2021, 17:02

TrimTheKing wrote:Yep, read it but assumed you would just do the needful from the pc... If you don't have that account on the PC then yes, you're scuppered.

That account can be accessed from pc but outlook the new host for hotmail does not seem to offer that facility either similar to the mail app on iPhone.
I’ll happily forward spam and phishing to hmg if it were on the phone

Bottom line seems to be the hypocrites behind outlook Mail do not have effective spam filtering on incoming mail but do implement better filtering on outgoing mail.

The hotmail account is used specifically with websites that want registration when I don’t want to register so a vast proportion is unwanted anyway.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Blackswanwood » 15 Jun 2021, 18:16

Bob, from the screen shot I think you are using the Apple mail app linked to your Hotmail account?

If so it may be worth downloading the Outlook app from the AppStore and using that instead. You can then just click on the e-mail, open the menu and use the report junk function.

I hope that helps but if not apologies if I have misunderstood your issue.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby AndyT » 15 Jun 2021, 18:54

Bob, you said

The hotmail account is used specifically with websites that want registration when I don’t want to register so a vast proportion is unwanted anyway.

A simpler option might be to use a "disposable" email for registration, from tempinbox.com or similar.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2021, 19:18

Blackswanwood wrote:Bob, from the screen shot I think you are using the Apple mail app linked to your Hotmail account?

If so it may be worth downloading the Outlook app from the AppStore and using that instead. You can then just click on the e-mail, open the menu and use the report junk function.

Hi Robert, you have it spot on. I did go through a phase of reporting spam and phishing to outlook but I did not notice any useful reduction. My preference is to report it to HMG security service.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2021, 19:20

AndyT wrote:Bob, you said

A simpler option might be to use a "disposable" email for registration, from tempinbox.com or similar.

That is a good thought Andy. Somewhat perversely, I quite like to see what spam arises from which site so I use a false name plus hotmail addy to see what comes from where.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 15 Jun 2021, 21:32

9fingers wrote:
Blackswanwood wrote:Bob, from the screen shot I think you are using the Apple mail app linked to your Hotmail account?

Hi Robert, you have it spot on. I did go through a phase of reporting spam and phishing to outlook but I did not notice any useful reduction. My preference is to report it to HMG security service.

Bob

Eh ? These do not compute.

Bob does not have an Apple ! I'm sure he'll see the light one day. :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jun 2021, 21:46

But the problem is with apple Roger keep up. :lol:

The spam email is coming into the iphone and the ios mail app (or outlook app) wont allow me to forward as attachment to send it to HMG
In contrast my pc mail accounts are not plagued with spam and yet would allow forwarding as attachment if I had a problem.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Spam reporting

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jun 2021, 08:06

9fingers wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Yep, read it but assumed you would just do the needful from the pc... If you don't have that account on the PC then yes, you're scuppered.

That account can be accessed from pc but outlook the new host for hotmail does not seem to offer that facility either similar to the mail app on iPhone.
I’ll happily forward spam and phishing to hmg if it were on the phone

Bottom line seems to be the hypocrites behind outlook Mail do not have effective spam filtering on incoming mail but do implement better filtering on outgoing mail.

Bob

Okay if it doesn’t have a forward as attachment menu option then you just open a new email then drag the offending email (click and hold on the subject) from your inbox/folder into the newly composed email and it adds it in as an attachment. Simples.

Outlook is fairly standard though so right clicking on the email title should give you the menu option to fwd as attachment I believe.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jun 2021, 08:18

Let’s forget it mark too many wrong end of sticks being grasped
We are getting nowhere.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jun 2021, 08:37

I’ve googled, you cannot do it in any of the iOS apps and MS have removed the functionality in Outlook 2013 so yes you’re right, it’s shyte!

What a crazy decision given we are asked to report spam and this is the only way to get the full message header into sent... clowns!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jun 2021, 08:52

Yes it does make spam reporting hard(er) work
Similar for spam text reporting as it seems that the senders number does not get forwarded and they text back to ask for it which means a fairly awkward process to get the senders number (likely spoofed anyway) and a second text message grrr.
C’est la vie

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 16 Jun 2021, 09:54

And all of which is why ICBA to report spam.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat