It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:26

“Sea Glider” Battery Ferry

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

“Sea Glider” Battery Ferry

Postby Woodster » 16 Jun 2021, 10:52

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: “Sea Glider” Battery Ferry

Postby RogerS » 16 Jun 2021, 11:02

Wonder how well the ground effect works in a choppy Channel with high waves?

Still, it's rather elegant.

Unlike...

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jun 2021, 13:04

My father used to put his car on Lydd to Le Touquet for business trips through France installing electronic equipment when I was a child in the 50s
Interesting to see the planes in the video.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2021, 13:31

9fingers wrote:My father used to put his car on Lydd to Le Touquet for business trips through France installing electronic equipment when I was a child in the 50s
Bob

I could cycle to Lydd from our house on Romney Marsh. I recollect that Concorde touched down at Lydd and remember it flying over New Romney - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2021, 13:47

Brittany Ferries are in a perilous financial state according to our local rag and have had to go cap in hand to the Macron for some state aid. All covid related of course and with something like 85% of their passengers being British the past 2 yrs has been catastrophic.

Would be interesting to know, as Roger says, what the range and speed would be like in anything other than calm conditions.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 18 Jun 2021, 13:52

is this not just an ekranoplan? 1930s Russian technology reimagined for the present day?
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2021, 13:53

Andyp wrote:Brittany Ferries are in a perilous financial state according to our local rag and have had to go cap in hand to the Macron for some state aid. All covid related of course and with something like 85% of their passengers being British the past 2 yrs has been catastrophic.

Would be interesting to know, as Roger says, what the range and speed would be like in anything other than calm conditions.

I thought the EU did not allow countries to subsidise businesses. I’m sure when uk was in there was some kerfuffle over govt subsidy of a business but can’t recall which

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2021, 14:14

9fingers wrote:
Andyp wrote:Brittany Ferries are in a perilous financial state according to our local rag and have had to go cap in hand to the Macron for some state aid. All covid related of course and with something like 85% of their passengers being British the past 2 yrs has been catastrophic.

I thought the EU did not allow countries to subsidise businesses. I’m sure when uk was in there was some kerfuffle over govt subsidy of a business but can’t recall which

Bob

And since when did France start playing by the rules? From BSE to the Euro they have floated EU rules as and when it suits them.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2021, 15:13

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:My father used to put his car on Lydd to Le Touquet for business trips through France installing electronic equipment when I was a child in the 50s
Bob

I could cycle to Lydd from our house on Romney Marsh. I recollect that Concorde touched down at Lydd and remember it flying over New Romney - Rob

Lucky sod. So how close to the RH&DR were you ?

I do recall spending many summer holidays down there as a kid and a flatter more dismal place I'd ever seen.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2021, 16:33

RogerS wrote:Lucky sod. So how close to the RH&DR were you ?

I do recall spending many summer holidays down there as a kid and a flatter more dismal place I'd ever seen.

We were half a mile as the seagull flies from the RH&DLR as we had a house in Littlestone which was just about above sea level (we could see the ogin from our front window). I was teaching at Southlands school at the time (early 80’s) and many of the kids used to use the wee train to get into school in the morning....except the little buggers had a habbit of trashing the coaches which wasn’t appreciated by the railway.

Romney Marsh was a weird place; dead flat and very creepy at night. We used to frequent the Black Bull in Newchurch, right in the middle of the marsh and as you left the coast road, ALL the lights slowly disappeared and you were driving in utter, pitch black. The reason we went to the Bull though, was that it was at the time run by two very old dears who were reputed to serve a very acceptable pint and serve up ye olde roast beef sarnis that were an inch thick... and that was just the beef!

My mate at the time also tried to get me to join the RNLI, not to go out in the boat on a ‘shout’ (in any weather :shock: ) but simply to drive the tractor/trailer to into the surf to launch it. I told him what he could so with that idea :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2021, 16:51

We also had family holidays down there when I was a kid. The chalet, I remember, backed on to the railway. Great fun for two boys to see steam trains from their bedroom window.

These days Romney marsh. Just conjours up images of Pip and miss Haversham.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2021, 18:01

Andyp wrote:
These days Romney marsh. Just conjours up images of Pip and miss Haversham.

It still does, especially when the sea fog rolls across the marsh; very, very creepy and not a place to be on your own at night. Except in the Black Bull nursing a pint! :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat