It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:14

GPS wristband for water sports?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

GPS wristband for water sports?

Postby Chris152 » 17 Jun 2021, 11:20

I'm looking to buy one for my lad who's now going in the sea without me to watch over him. Yesterday, a heavy fog came in for a while, which can be really bad if you lose track of where the beach is. (A friend stopped surfing a year after having it happen to him, terrifying.) He was fine, but I'd noticed the fog via an online camera and it wasn't a relaxing time for me.
Sooo, apart from all the other advice I've given over years, I've decided he needs to wear a gps tracker. Does anyone know if you can get a simple version without lots of other bells and whistles (which seem to cost lots)? Just something for use in an emergency. I've searched online but not found anything. I guess the same device would be used in other water sports (sailing?).
Thanks if you have any thoughts.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Re: GPS wristband for water sports?

Postby AJB Temple » 17 Jun 2021, 13:43

Sea water is harsh on watches. Absolute cheapest solution is waterproof pouch for mobile phone.

A lot of the sailing fraternity use Garmin Quatix 5 or 6 but they are pricey. They do last in service in salt water though. Garmin Instinct is much cheaper (under £200) and GPS is accurate. Friend of mine uses one for mountaineering. He reckons GPS is not great on some cheaper devices. If it's meant to be a life saver then a dual GPS is a good idea perhaps.

I still use an analogue watch if I sail, but the boats always have GPS. Obviously different in your case.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 17 Jun 2021, 13:44

Oh, and get him to carry a whistle and teach him the basic signals if this is not already part of your plan. Cheap light and audible in fog at quite a distance.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 17 Jun 2021, 17:02

Thanks Adrian - I was hoping you might reply with advice on account of the sailing connection. Ok, Garmin it is - tho I was hoping to go cheaper, something along the lines of the ones you can get for your dog for about £50! Amazon have the Instinct for £200. The problem with a phone is the quality of the waterproof bags (I just bought a new one for my car key as the old one was leaking a bit) and the bulk under a wetsuit/ chance of breaking it on unintended impact with a board - plus, if it's on his wrist, he's more likely to use the thing rather than not bother.
The only hand signal I've taught him is 'assistance needed', I'll run through some others just because (I had to google the others just now).
Tbh, I've always worked on the principle you get out of the water if significant fog/ mist starts to come in, and the same with a thunderstorm coming overhead. But obviously, youngsters know better. He said he could see the shore all the while the fog was in, but as we know, that can change very quickly.
I really appreciate your advice.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Jun 2021, 17:08

Are we talking surfing as in Hawaii 5-0 or wind-surfing or kite-surfing, Chris ?

How will a GPS device help him get back? I'm not a surfer of the first sort and find it hard to understand what benefit it will bring ....how does he get back ? Paddle?

With the other two, then yes, I can see the benefit.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 17 Jun 2021, 17:22

RogerS wrote:Are we talking surfing as in Hawaii 5-0 or wind-surfing or kite-surfing, Chris ?

How will a GPS device help him get back? I'm not a surfer of the first sort and find it hard to understand what benefit it will bring ....how does he get back ? Paddle?

With the other two, then yes, I can see the benefit.

Bristol Channel 5-0, Roger :-)
My understanding - which could be completely wrong(!) is that the device can transmit its location, so if he got caught in a tidal current (they're huge in the channel, avoided by being constantly alert to more local currents nearer the beach) it would be possible to locate him more or less on his passage to the mid-Atlantic, or at least north Cornwall.
So it's not for him to navigate his way back, but for RNLI to locate him via a linked phone. If I've got this wrong, tell me so I can save £200 plus sim costs - I've only been thinking about it since last night, managed three decades in the sea without one myself, but it all starts to matter much more when it's someone close - and who I started the obsession in.

ps I stood once at Lavernock Point (nearby) on an outgoing tide and watched the water flow about 8' from the rocks. My dog wandered to the water's edge, and I felt an incredible horror at the thought he may walk into the water. I'm confident he'd never have been seen again.
eta - you don't get in the water at Lavernock - it's just a place where you can see the tidal current close as the point sticks out into the channel, it's further out where we go in the sea.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jun 2021, 17:32

I know nowt about these things but out of curiosity. When you say “ linked phone “ does that mean if, heaven forbid, he gets swept out to sea that a mobile signal is required to locate him?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 17 Jun 2021, 17:35

I think that what you need to be searching for is a Personal Locator Beacon.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 17 Jun 2021, 17:39

Andyp wrote:I know nowt about these things but out of curiosity. When you say “ linked phone “ does that mean if, heaven forbid, he gets swept out to sea that a mobile signal is required to locate him?

I guess so - is that the fly in the ointment?! Is it some sort of transmitter I really want?
The surfing community doesn't seem to talk about this stuff from what I can tell, probably not cool enough, and maybe I'm being an over-protective dad. But I've always wondered why something like this isn't more common.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 17 Jun 2021, 17:41

RogerS wrote:I think that what you need to be searching for is a Personal Locator Beacon.

Aha! First search, they look a bit bulky (that can create its own problems), but I'll continue searching.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Jun 2021, 17:47

Chris152 wrote:
RogerS wrote:I think that what you need to be searching for is a Personal Locator Beacon.

Aha! First search, they look a bit bulky (that can create its own problems), but I'll continue searching.

Fit it on his back ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Jun 2021, 17:53

Digressing for a little if I may but still in the same vein. ClubVass started up another base in Dahab a few years back (now defunct). There is a coral reef that sort of protects the lagoon, for want of a better word. It's below the surface but rises nearly to the surface at one point...marked with a flag.

Among the first group to stay there was one guy who knew it all and decided not to go to the safety briefing on the first day. So when he went out for his first go, he thought the flag marked an opening in the channel and went full blast for it. The coral ripped off his rudder rendering the windsurfer unsteerable. He tried jury-rigging a sheet anchor using his harness but that didn't work and the currents slowly took him miles away from the shore unbeknown to a soul. Oh yes, I forgot...he didn't bother to log himself as going out and so no-one was thinking about where had he got to.

Luckily some hours later, a passing dhow picked him up and brought him back.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Jun 2021, 17:57

Another year or two and you will be able to get them implants. :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Jun 2021, 17:59

Lurker wrote:Another year or two and you will be able to get them implants. :D

I thought they already came with the Covid jabs ? :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 17 Jun 2021, 19:31

For SAR he will need an EPIRB or a SART for emergency use only. They are bulky im afraid as they need to last 48 hours (i think) to conply with SOLAS.
Otherwise its a mobile phone to call for help and a passive transponder.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby novocaine » 17 Jun 2021, 19:38

To add. Or a PLB as suggested (24 hours).
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 17 Jun 2021, 20:40

If you have not already ordered something. I made some cases for Tile tracking devices last year and they sent me a box of products. I don’t think they are waterproof but I am not certain I am sure you can get one of those sealable adventure bags that are water proof. I will dig them out and see what I have.
Not my area of expertise they may need Bluetooth to work.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby AJB Temple » 17 Jun 2021, 22:37

I think I would be looking at a waterproof belt pack for scuba diving such as https://www.over-board.co.uk/collection ... -belt-pack

Surfing is not my thing. The kind of boats I am used to have built in transmitters in the boat and life raft, but they are much too big for surfing as they have large and heavy battery packs. His key thing in thick fog is to know where the shore is. If he is experienced with the sea / estuary then that will be second nature at surfing distances.

From a sailing perspective fog + close to shore is not good. Avoid fog!
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 18 Jun 2021, 08:23

Thanks for the replies all.
I think the fog was just a trigger and is dealt with by common sense - don't get in/ get out. He knows that now, if not before.
The problem with anything bulky is the likelihood of impact, hitting the bottom of a wave or the board, especially if wearing it on your back/ around the spine (as I do with my key in a bag, but that's relatively small and I keep it high up so it's more protected). So I guess, as Dave says, the need for battery life means a bulky thing - transmitters all seem to be.
So, back to the watch - what kind of distance can you expect a signal into the sea along a fairly populated coastline? I'm sure it's a piece of string answer, but if you're getting into trouble, at least you could sound an alert before disappearing from signal - you wouldn't need to wait til you're a long way out before realising something's gone very wrong.
Funnily enough, I saw a post on FB this morning about taking your phone while using an SUP for this kind of reason - but SUPs seem to be used more like rowing boats much of the time, and they carry lots of gear in comparison.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Jun 2021, 08:49

As long as there are masts close to the coast, you will get a signal at sea at least as far as you do on land in that area. Race sailors don't really wear these watches for the GPS functionality. They want accurate and easy to operate timers and proper waterproofing. I've certainly had mobile signal at about a mile off shore, but its not something I have particularly tested as boats have radios.

Hopefully he has learnt that getting out of the water as soon as fog starts to roll in, is wise. It's disorienting.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 18 Jun 2021, 09:09

AJB Temple wrote:As long as there are masts close to the coast, you will get a signal at sea at least as far as you do on land in that area. Race sailors don't really wear these watches for the GPS functionality. They want accurate and easy to operate timers and proper waterproofing. I've certainly had mobile signal at about a mile off shore, but its not something I have particularly tested as boats have radios.

Hopefully he has learnt that getting out of the water as soon as fog starts to roll in, is wise. It's disorienting.

I've had signal few Nm of the coast, but never in the UK, mainly because I'm not permitted to take my phone with me in UK waters.
I have a couple of different GPS units, only 1 does "maps", but both have a compass of sorts. I wouldn't recommend either of them for use in the sea and I'd not put my life on them getting me back to shore.

Once upon a time the RNLI did 1/2 day wet sessions for sea survival, might be worth seeing if they still do, it was a good course by all accounts and covered by inshore and offshore methods (which are both very different). Or you could send him on his BOSIET, but that might be overkill. :lol:
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Jun 2021, 10:38

That is a good point from Dave. When I used to teach sailing (when I was a young un) down in Salcombe, the RNLI ran sessions (they were joint if my memory serves me correctly - not sure) with the Island Cruising Club and the yacht club. We used to get drownings in the estuary even with very experienced sailors. Covid has screwed everything up but checking out what the nearest lifeboat station offers is a great idea.

https://rnli.org/safety/choose-your-activity/surfing

It sounds like your son is pretty fine in the water, so all that is really needed is development of common sense about when to come in, and what to do if an accident (eg hit by board or rock) occurs. My knowledge of surfboarding is zero but there must be a community that has expertise?

I still worry about my kids and the eldest is 24 now!
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 19 Jun 2021, 07:33

AJB Temple wrote:I still worry about my kids and the eldest is 24 now!

It's tricky knowing where to draw the line on that one, isn't it? My eldest just turned 18, needs to be allowed to strike out on his own and make his own mistakes - but some are best avoided altogether.
Funnily enough, following my related Google searches, Facebook's throwing up lots of advice and ads from RNLI! I'll look into their offerings, Dave.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Jun 2021, 08:22

Little kids = little problems
Big kids = big problems
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby sunnybob » 19 Jun 2021, 09:08

Mine are 46 and 43.
They both left home for work in their teens.
no worries. :lol: 8-) 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat