It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:19

Vigil - in UHD

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Vigil - in UHD

Postby RogerS » 06 Sep 2021, 12:59

In case anyone is watching this series and didn't realise it.....you can stream it in UHD on BBC iPlayer. Of course you need 25Mbps download speed which, sadly, I haven't.

Others, of course, can only dream of having a proper internet connection ........ :eusa-whistle:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Vigil - in UHD

Postby novocaine » 06 Sep 2021, 13:03

I have no way to actually display that, never mind stream it. :D
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Sheffield Tony » 06 Sep 2021, 13:30

I thought it looked nice when DW was watching it last night. The opening music, Agnes Obel's Fuel to the Fire was lovely too. Can't say I actually watched enough to say more.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Andyp » 06 Sep 2021, 13:32

RogerS wrote:Others, of course, can only dream of having a proper internet connection ........ :eusa-whistle:

Without loitering outside a budget hotel like some sleazeball.

Is this Vigil as in Tracy?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 06 Sep 2021, 13:45

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:Others, of course, can only dream of having a proper internet connection ........ :eusa-whistle:

That's Virgil IIRC. No, (HMS) Vigil - Trident submarine....latest series on BBC from the people who made Line of Duty.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 06 Sep 2021, 14:05

Ahem...

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/windows

Download at whatever speed you have and then watch afterwards without worrying about live streaming rates. Not exactly the easiest software to use though.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby RogerS » 06 Sep 2021, 14:16

Dr.Al wrote:

Ahem...

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/windows

Download at whatever speed you have and then watch afterwards without worrying about live streaming rates. Not exactly the easiest software to use though.

I was having a gentle dig at Andyp who's been without the internet for some days now.

How does github do UHD then if you need 25Mbps data rate on your internet connection but only have, say, 6 Mbps ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Sep 2021, 14:22

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:

That's Virgil IIRC. No, (HMS) Vigil - Trident submarine....latest series on BBC from the people who made Line of Duty.

There I go grasping the wrong stick again.

Now using free WiFi outside daughters school. Soon be back home in the dark.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 06 Sep 2021, 14:42

I casually looked at alternatives to Virgin for broadband. We’re on 100 mbps but actually get over that. Sky could only offer us a blazing 15 so we’re still with Virgin …
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby spb » 06 Sep 2021, 14:51

RogerS wrote:How does github do UHD then if you need 25Mbps data rate on your internet connection but only have, say, 6 Mbps ?

It downloads the whole thing and saves it on your computer to watch later, so in that situation it'll just take four times as long to download as it will to watch. Since you're not trying to download and watch at the same time, which is basically what streaming does, it doesn't matter that one isn't as fast as the other - you can just give it several hours' head start.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Dr.Al » 06 Sep 2021, 15:05

spb wrote:
RogerS wrote:How does github do UHD then if you need 25Mbps data rate on your internet connection but only have, say, 6 Mbps ?

It downloads the whole thing and saves it on your computer to watch later, so in that situation it'll just take four times as long to download as it will to watch. Since you're not trying to download and watch at the same time, which is basically what streaming does, it doesn't matter that one isn't as fast as the other - you can just give it several hours' head start.

What he said :text-goodpost:
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 06 Sep 2021, 15:53

Thanks chaps.

Presumably it runs on a Mac ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Sep 2021, 16:49

RogerS wrote:.......No, (HMS) Vigil - Trident submarine....latest series on BBC from the people who made Line of Duty.

I managed 2 episodes, but it got very silly very quickly.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Sep 2021, 17:51

Mike G wrote:
RogerS wrote:.......No, (HMS) Vigil - Trident submarine....latest series on BBC from the people who made Line of Duty.

That's part of the fun, Mike !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Gill » 06 Sep 2021, 18:06

Mike G wrote:

The third episode plunged into unexplored depths of silliness. It's completely unbelievable.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Mike G » 06 Sep 2021, 18:24

What, it got more silly than nearly colliding with an oil tanker it hadn't seen, despite being at periscope depth because of a nuclear reactor shutdown?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Sep 2021, 21:14

Mike G wrote:What, it got more silly than nearly colliding with an oil tanker it hadn't seen, despite being at periscope depth because of a nuclear reactor shutdown?

I take your point but the real question is what was sonar doing because when you Up periscope you have 360 degrees to choose from to begin with ! If you're unlucky!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Sep 2021, 21:19

Well exactly. Any weekend trailer sailer has a digital read-out of the location of vessels in her locality, with warnings etc. To suggest that a state-of the art sub could somehow overlook a giant tanker........ludicrous.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 06 Sep 2021, 22:15

Judging from the space available that sub must have been at least four times the size of any boat that the U.K. have.
Assume that it’s supposed to be be a vanguard class and I have been in one during a refit.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 06 Sep 2021, 22:56

Urmmmmmm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... -collision

And just for gits and shiggles

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi.co ... 573627600/

Im afroad they dont have to use to much imagination.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 06 Sep 2021, 23:04

From that Guardian article I was surprised that the Commander doing the teaching, with full control over a £1.1 billion nuclear sub, was earning only £78,000 annually. Does not sound a huge sum for such a challenging and responsible job.

It was also very surprising to me that the students were relying entirely on the twin periscopes to observe hazards (such as the oil tanker they hit).

I have not seen the series. Not sure now if it is worth making the effort.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Sep 2021, 07:02

Mike G wrote:Well exactly. Any weekend trailer sailer has a digital read-out of the location of vessels in her locality, with warnings etc. To suggest that a state-of the art sub could somehow overlook a giant tanker........ludicrous.

I haven’t seen it but I guess another one of these series which is probably utter bloody tosh. What actually goes on inside one of these vessels is something that Joe Public will, never, ever know about. Many years ago when I first started teaching, I worked with a chap who’s son was on a Polaris boat. He didn’t even know what his son did ‘cos he wouldn’t tell him and that was his dad! Again, in the MoD, I worked alongside an ex-RN guy who’d been on the same boats and he also kept completely ‘shtum’ about his activities, even when he was very, very drunk.

I bracket this sort of program with ‘SAS, Who Dares Wins’. Complete garbage - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 07 Sep 2021, 07:35

RogerS wrote:Thanks chaps.

Looks like it:

Runs on Linux/BSD (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenBSD and others), macOS (10.10+), Windows (7/8/10)

Mac installation instructions:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/osx

I've only ever used it on Ubuntu, but I find it works very well indeed. It's worth keeping it up to date with the latest version - it tends to get updated when the BBC change things.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 07 Sep 2021, 07:49

Dr.Al wrote:
RogerS wrote:Thanks chaps.

Looks like it:

Runs on Linux/BSD (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenBSD and others), macOS (10.10+), Windows (7/8/10)

Mac installation instructions:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/osx

I've only ever used it on Ubuntu, but I find it works very well indeed. It's worth keeping it up to date with the latest version - it tends to get updated when the BBC change things.

Many thanks for the link. I'll need to check the best way of getting the UHD video from the Mac into the TV :eusa-think:

I do have an Apple TV but suspect it is too old to handle UHD.

EDIT: It is :( I'll need an Apple TV 4K. Think I'll fire up github on the MacBook and see if it works on that. Only if it does then I'll get an Apple TV 4K and see what it's like.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 07 Sep 2021, 08:36

AJB Temple wrote:From that Guardian article I was surprised that the Commander doing the teaching, with full control over a £1.1 billion nuclear sub, was earning only £78,000 annually. Does not sound a huge sum for such a challenging and responsible job.

:lol: real world Adrian, far removed from what you city types imagine ;)
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat