It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:25

Recommendations for an art 'magazine'

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Recommendations for an art 'magazine'

Postby RogerS » 16 Sep 2021, 18:35

I use the term 'magazine' very loosely. My wife is very keen on art especially the history, context and psychology of the painter. So I'm after a more 'cerebral' type of magazine/whatever that maybe comes out once every so often.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Recommendations for an art 'magazine'

Postby Blackswanwood » 16 Sep 2021, 18:48

Roger, try ARTnews. It’s published in the US but expect they mail worldwide. I used to “borrow” a copy from the lounge at Heathrow but haven’t had the opportunity for some time!
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 16 Sep 2021, 21:06

Mmm..I appreciate the thought but I think she'd prefer something more in-depth.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 16 Sep 2021, 22:27

It's tricky to recommend, Roger - most of the journals contain articles on quite diverse subjects, often meaning you've spent a fair whack to read just the one that interests you. I'd definitely recommend her to visit a good library and have a browse through the ones they have, to see if any look interesting to her. Personally, I've only ever really used journals to access the one article I need, and usually ignored the rest. I generally find books more engaging and they often cost about the same.
Not much help I guess, but I do think a trip to the library might help.

eta - I just had a quick look at Art History (Journal of the Association for Art History), the content of the current issue has nothing that would interest me; then checked The Burlington which had a good few that might, then noticed the current price tag - 28 GBP! ( https://www.burlington.org.uk/current-issue ).
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby fezman » 17 Sep 2021, 07:31

Roger - do you / your wife have an Ipad or tablet? If so have a look on Readly (www.readly.com). There are a number of art magazines on there, not sure if any will be to your wife's taste.

If you do sign up (and there is usually a free month offer to test it out) there is the bonus of a couple of woodworking magazines (Woodsmith and Popular Woodworking) on there too. It's about £8 per month, which is approx cost of 2 magazines. I've been a member for years and use it regularly.
Ian
fezman
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Sep 2021, 08:00

Many thanks to you both.

We don't have an iPad or tablet and TBH she prefers printed material.

Both of those suggestions look very promising, thanks Chris.....Burlington is a bit spendy though ! :o
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat