It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:39

I phone

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: I phone

Postby Gill » 15 Oct 2021, 18:55

AJB Temple wrote:Like it or not, the world has changed and everyone's a photographer now...

Again, I disagree (in a friendly way, I hope :) ). Your assertion implies that ownership of a camera makes you a photographer. In my opinion, it doesn't. Just look on social media at all the pictures which are out of focus, have unlevel horizons, poor composition etc and you'll see why I think there's more to being a photographer than just owning a camera.

Owning a knife may mean that you can slash the pork rind for your Sunday roast but it doesn't make you a surgeon.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby RogerS » 15 Oct 2021, 21:15

Gill wrote:
RogerS wrote: :text-+1: Even my elderly Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 takes better photos.

That camera has a Leica lens, I believe, Roger. It may have been designed at the turn of the century but it'll still knock the socks off most cameras. Lenses and talent are what count in photography, if you ask me, not the latest gadgets. A couple of weeks ago a photo competition at my local camera club was won by a piccy taken on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20.

:text-bravo: It is indeed a Leica.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Oct 2021, 07:12

:lol: I love it when the old guard (of which I am probably part sadly) defend their ancient gear (muskets) against the march of progress (laser guided rifles).

I like Leica cameras (and my Leica bins). I even have a Leica microscope. It is an iconic brand (despite the Panasonic dilutions) and I have dabbled with the rangefinders, and various Leica made digitals. We went on holiday with a Leica X2 once, which was a fun street camera. I sold it due to lack of lens flexibility and slightly regret that as it was a nice little camera of its day.

The Canon R is in a different league - even though we are mostly using older L glass bought for trips to Japan with the 5D III and another digital body.

But it is worth taking the time to learn how to get the best out of a decent phone camera, simply because nowadays most of us always have a phone with us, and they are always instantly ready for action and can be very discreet in use.

My comment "everyone's a photographer" was more a tongue in cheek remark about their ubiquity rather than a serious point. It amuses me that just in the last few years selfies have become so prevalent. My business partner and best friend is a woman, and she pretty much records her daily life with her pre teen children via her mobile phone and the medium of selfies.

Higher end phone cameras are becoming increasingly foolproof and the market for carry around small chip cameras in their various iterations has gone over the cliff. I doubt that manufacturers are putting any significant development money now into such tools and digital DSLRs are pretty much dead too as the mirrorless cameras are superseding them. My R for example is significantly ad noticeably better than my 5DIII and I would not go backwards in that regard even though some of my favourite glass was developed for the previous generation (compatible with the R but gradually being overtaken by lighter and smaller glass).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 16 Oct 2021, 08:58

I know nothing about cameras or phones with cameras. I remember a phone I had maybe 15 years ago a nokia N8 I think, it had a leica lens and produced some of the best pics I've seen.
On a different note I wonder what camera the in house photographer of wadkin used. I have some original prints of the factory in black and white and the level of detail is astonishing. I did a high resolution scan of one and sent it to a poster company to have enlarged. They have produced a poster 3m by 2m and detail is unreal.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Oct 2021, 09:13

You can probably take a good guess based on the age of the machines in the pictures Wallace. Back in the day a lot of pros used things like Hasselblads - medium format cameras capable of very crisp and detailed images on film. The brand (Swedish) is still around but you can be looking at well over £40k for their high end digital offerings.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 16 Oct 2021, 11:19

wallace wrote:I know nothing about cameras or phones with cameras. I remember a phone I had maybe 15 years ago a nokia N8 I think, it had a leica lens and produced some of the best pics I've seen.
On a different note I wonder what camera the in house photographer of wadkin used. I have some original prints of the factory in black and white and the level of detail is astonishing. I did a high resolution scan of one and sent it to a poster company to have enlarged. They have produced a poster 3m by 2m and detail is unreal.

The picture was likely taken on a large format camera. Some of these old images as you say yield fantastic detail. I used cut film up to 12” x 10” at one of my jobs, the smallest we used was 70mm roll film.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Oct 2021, 12:56

I know where there's an old-school Hasselblad in mint condition and free to anyone who cares to collect it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Oct 2021, 13:23

Two photos...same subject. One my Samsung, the other my Panasonic camera. I rest my case.

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Oct 2021, 13:27

RogerS wrote:I know where there's an old-school Hasselblad in mint condition and free to anyone who cares to collect it.

So do I; look at the moon this evening. It's been there since the late 60's :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Oct 2021, 21:56

146898-phones-feature-the-best-apple-iphone-photos-ever-taken-image1-ydter7skel.jpg
The eyes have it
(170.32 KiB)

Taken on iPhone 11 Pro (not by me)
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Oct 2021, 21:57

The above is compressed too, for web posting. Take a look at what can be done. I doubt that many people would do better even with a DSLR and good glass.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news ... ever-taken
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 17 Oct 2021, 10:51

Did the OP buy an iPhone, or has he lost the will to live over the photography discussion? :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Oct 2021, 13:12

Woodster wrote:Did the OP buy an iPhone, or has he lost the will to live over the photography discussion? :lol:

He has been playing with his 20 year old Olympus E1 actually :D
Awaiting for my personal IT consultant (no. 2 son) to get back from Ireland before hitting the button.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 17 Oct 2021, 19:18

AJB Temple wrote::lol:

Higher end phone cameras are becoming increasingly foolproof and the market for carry around small chip cameras in their various iterations has gone over the cliff. I doubt that manufacturers are putting any significant development money now into such tools and digital DSLRs are pretty much dead too as the mirrorless cameras are superseding them. My R for example is significantly ad noticeably better than my 5DIII and I would not go backwards in that regard even though some of my favourite glass was developed for the previous generation (compatible with the R but gradually being overtaken by lighter and smaller glass).

I see mirroless cameras as a way to get every body buy new cameras and lenses, lets face it they are cheaper to make with our the shutter mechanism but some how cost more and take different lenses.
Nikon are bringing out new cameras both mirroless and SLRs and lenses at quite some rate so I don't think they are dead at all.

I will stick to my Nikon SLRs that use my 50mm f1.4 lens from 1974.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 17 Oct 2021, 20:29

Pete Maddex wrote:I see mirroless cameras as a way to get every body buy new cameras and lenses, lets face it they are cheaper to make with our the shutter mechanism but some how cost more and take different lenses.
Nikon are bringing out new cameras both mirroless and SLRs and lenses at quite some rate so I don't think they are dead at all.

I will stick to my Nikon SLRs that use my 50mm f1.4 lens from 1974.

Pete

Funny you should say that. I’m now using some of my old Canon SLR lenses from the 1980’s on my FujiFilm MILC. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Gill » 17 Oct 2021, 20:47

Pete Maddex wrote:I will stick to my Nikon SLRs that use my 50mm f1.4 lens from 1974.

Lucky you - my nifty fifty is only f1.8. It's funny but I've definitely moved to using prime lenses rather than zooms; the picture quality is so much better. My fave right now is the Sigma 105mm which also has a handy macro facility but the 50mm is a close second. My choice of glass depends on how compressed I want the background to look.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Pete Maddex » 18 Oct 2021, 09:16

Gill wrote:
Pete Maddex wrote:I will stick to my Nikon SLRs that use my 50mm f1.4 lens from 1974.

Lucky you - my nifty fifty is only f1.8. It's funny but I've definitely moved to using prime lenses rather than zooms; the picture quality is so much better. My fave right now is the Sigma 105mm which also has a handy macro facility but the 50mm is a close second. My choice of glass depends on how compressed I want the background to look.

I seem to have collected a range of 50mm from F1.2 to f2.8 macro.

ImageNikon 50's by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

35mm of a full frame or 24mm on a crop (1.6) is my favorite lenght, I have the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art on the Nikon D850 usually.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat