It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:01

I phone

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

I phone

Postby Lurker » 14 Oct 2021, 10:29

Her majesty has expressed an interest in getting a “new “ phone.
As we have a I pad she wants an apple one this time.

I know very little about such things as they generally are of no interest to me.
Anyway, I have had a brief google and from what I read, anything above an 8 would be wasted technology.
I can see a refurbished one for £140 at an outfit called “back market” anyone had dealings with them?
Anyone got opinions on which phone to get. Or suggestions of alternatives and providers?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: I phone

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Oct 2021, 10:43

I've been happy with my iPhone 6, and my missus with hers, too.

I got mine a few years ago with my mobile, landline rental and broadband with vodafone. Paid for it it in 18m I think then reverted to sim only deal. Overall by now I'm sure I'm well up on the deal. I think I've still got the iPhone 5 from the previous deal.

Needed one battery replacement in that time. There's a local chap that does ours.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 14 Oct 2021, 10:46

Never heard of them but they get good reviews on Trustpilot.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 14 Oct 2021, 11:29

I get my wifes rejects, so for the past 2 years I've been sporting a nice pink iphone 7 I think. very robust, dropped it loads of times, its been smeared in oil grease from the workshop. camera is not fantastic but I take all my resto pics with it and they come out ok on forums. Quite easy to navigate. She has gone over to samsung and the camera is amazing.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Oct 2021, 11:38

One thing to ask any vendor is the battery capacity.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Oct 2021, 13:04

wallace wrote:I get my wifes rejects, so for the past 2 years I've been sporting a nice pink iphone 7 I think. very robust, dropped it loads of times, its been smeared in oil grease from the workshop. camera is not fantastic but I take all my resto pics with it and they come out ok on forums. Quite easy to navigate.

I've got the 7 and SWIMBO has the 7+, no complaints; more than adequate for my needs though the battery is now at 90% (or thereabouts) and the screen's cracked in one or two places (comes from dropping a tin of beans on it :D ) - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 14 Oct 2021, 13:40

I have a iPhone 8 from work it’s fine no problems with it I can think of.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 14 Oct 2021, 14:17

You would think that they would put what number the phone was on the back or somewhere wouldn’t you, all mine says is S but I’m fairly sure it’s an eight and as above it works fine, never had any problems over the past three years and the battery is still very good.
I have in the past bought a couple of secondhand phones from a similar place to what you mentioned, again never had a problem, seem to remember they are rated for quality, stick to the top levels and you won’t go far wrong and there is a bit of a guarantee usually. I’m just glad there are people around who must have the latest thing and swap their phones well before any sensible person would. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodster » 14 Oct 2021, 14:21

I’ve got an iPhone 8 Plus and it’s the best mobile I’ve had to date. Nice size screen and good battery life.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 14 Oct 2021, 14:22

Settings general about.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Oct 2021, 14:44

My wife has my former iPhone 7plus pro and is in excellent cosmetic condition but is clapped out. Battery life is claimed at 90% but in reality is far below that, and some screen functionality no longer works.

The cameras took a leap forward with the iPhone X and for software compatibility and sheer age (they start to play up) I would not personally go older than that.

Back Market is reputable - I know people who have bought reconditioned phones from them and they were happy. The condition is honestly described. I bought an iWatch 5 which was cheap, the condition was better than described, and it came in the original box and with a new strap, on next day guaranteed delivery for £3.50.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 14 Oct 2021, 15:54

I'd agree with Adrian about the X, specifically I'd recommend an XR cameras made a big leap from earlier models
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 14 Oct 2021, 16:05

Thanks to you all.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 15 Oct 2021, 09:49

I would suggest not going to old in iPhone models because eventually the operating system stops being updated and you start to lose functionality and app compatibility. My iPad is an iPad 3 from 2012 and the operating system hasn’t been updated for years so a fair bit of functionality with regards available apps is now gone. Still works for watching films and browsing so I’m in no rush to update.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 15 Oct 2021, 11:01

Much depends on how you use a device as they are capable of doing so many things. I don’t often take pictures with mine as I prefer to use a camera. They are handy for the odd snap though when I don’t have a camera with me. Perversely I do use my iPad Pro for snaps intended for the internet due to the large screen size and convenience of processing/uploading.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Oct 2021, 11:10

Re photos. I used to be a keen photographer, as is my wife. But as iPhone cameras have got better and better they have totally replaced small carry around cameras for us. The picture quality is now excellent really, and the ability to synchronise instantly to the cloud Photo app across all devices (with backup too) is invaluable for sharing. Plus the capability to upload instantly to what's app, signal, Facebook, instagram etc is super convenient. We have family in Netherlands and Germany so we use social media quite a bit for quickly shared photo and video.

We still use the pro Canon gear, but mainly for travel (remember that) and horticultural / wildlife things we want to put on our website.

The iPhone and Android versions have in many ways changed the world and how we see it.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 15 Oct 2021, 12:17

I was thinking the other day, triggered by William shanter rocket trip, about Star Trek communicators. Oh how we laughed at the absurdity of the idea!
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Oct 2021, 12:45

It must be mine then as I find that the picture quality on my Samsung A71 is pretty poor TBH.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Oct 2021, 13:08

RogerS wrote:It must be mine then as I find that the picture quality on my Samsung A71 is pretty poor TBH.

My work Samsung A32 camera is fantastic. I just hate the phone! :lol:

Been Apple for so long I have neither the time nor patience to learn how to use an Android phone. they might be intuitive to those who've grown up with them but to me the menu's are so convoluted I just get angry with it. :? :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby spb » 15 Oct 2021, 13:57

TrimTheKing wrote:Been Apple for so long I have neither the time nor patience to learn how to use an Android phone. they might be intuitive to those who've grown up with them but to me the menu's are so convoluted I just get angry with it. :? :eusa-whistle:

I feel pretty much that way about Apple stuff (and I currently have three iPhones and two Macbooks for work). There are two main things going on - the first is just a question of which one you get used to, as anything too different from that will be jarring; the second is that each platform makes a different set of operations easy at the expense of others, and which one you get on with depends on which of those operations you do most often.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Gill » 15 Oct 2021, 14:04

AJB Temple wrote:Re photos. I used to be a keen photographer, as is my wife. But as iPhone cameras have got better and better they have totally replaced small carry around cameras for us. The picture quality is now excellent really, and the ability to synchronise instantly to the cloud Photo app across all devices (with backup too) is invaluable for sharing. Plus the capability to upload instantly to what's app, signal, Facebook, instagram etc is super convenient. We have family in Netherlands and Germany so we use social media quite a bit for quickly shared photo and video.

We still use the pro Canon gear, but mainly for travel (remember that) and horticultural / wildlife things we want to put on our website.

The iPhone and Android versions have in many ways changed the world and how we see it.

I couldn't disagree more. If you're happy taking photos in auto mode then I suppose phone cameras will suit most people but if you are a keen photographer you'll want control over file type, focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture. There are some apps around which improve the versatility of phone cameras but they still have a very long way to travel before they can be compared to a proper camera.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby RogerS » 15 Oct 2021, 14:35

Gill wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:Re photos. I used to be a keen photographer, as is my wife. But as iPhone cameras have got better and better they have totally replaced small carry around cameras for us. The picture quality is now excellent really, and the ability to synchronise instantly to the cloud Photo app across all devices (with backup too) is invaluable for sharing. Plus the capability to upload instantly to what's app, signal, Facebook, instagram etc is super convenient. We have family in Netherlands and Germany so we use social media quite a bit for quickly shared photo and video.

I couldn't disagree more. If you're happy taking photos in auto mode then I suppose phone cameras will suit most people but if you are a keen photographer you'll want control over file type, focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture. There are some apps around which improve the versatility of phone cameras but they still have a very long way to travel before they can be compared to a proper camera.

:text-+1: Even my elderly Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 takes better photos.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 15 Oct 2021, 15:15

Computational Photography means that photos taken on Mobile Phones are getting better all the time, in spite of having relatively poor lenses and small sensors compared to cameras. They still aren’t good in low light situations in my opinion but it’s often not too apparent until you zoom in and see all the noise. Lots of people don’t own a decent camera anymore though so they don’t know any different. Most pictures look good viewed on a mobile …
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Oct 2021, 18:37

The point I was making Gill (and said) is that if I am actively seeking to take quality photos for publication the I use our Canon EOS R5 plus L glass, along with the 5DIII that was its predecessor. But I no longer carry around a small camera, nor does my wife, as the triple lens set ups on current iPhones are pretty good for day to day snaps and record keeping. You can even use them underwater.

I think the use of photography has changed immensely. For example we are now familiar with taking pictures on the phone and instantly sharing them with family etc via WhatsApp and other platforms. They can be processed to a degree (portrait mode, different lighting effects etc) and a phone camera is plenty good enough for this and has improved communication I think.

For example, my son and I are working on a project together. He's in Delft and I am in Kent and we routinely take pictures or videos of what we are doing and zap them back and forth.

Like it or not, the world has changed and everyone's a photographer now. Each to his or her own.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Gill » 15 Oct 2021, 18:48

RogerS wrote: :text-+1: Even my elderly Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 takes better photos.

That camera has a Leica lens, I believe, Roger. It may have been designed at the turn of the century but it'll still knock the socks off most cameras. Lenses and talent are what count in photography, if you ask me, not the latest gadgets. A couple of weeks ago a photo competition at my local camera club was won by a piccy taken on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat