It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:12

Emir Benches Consigned to History

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Emir Benches Consigned to History

Postby Trevanion » 20 Oct 2021, 22:48

While doing my catchup of "elsewhere" reading I read a thread about the company that made the "Emir" workbenches and how they have now closed down, which is a bit of a shame but it doesn't surprise me.

When I was in school we had Emir workbenches in the technical department which were well over 40 years old by that point but were still in good working order as they were rarely used for actual work anymore, especially not by the students, god forbid that they get to do any manual work. With schools largely going down the CNC and computers side of "Design and Technology" rather than hand skill I guess the call for workbenches has shrunk significantly as you don't need anything more than a regular table for that kind of work for the most part.

When I was in college we had Emir workbenches in the carpentry and joinery department which were well over 40 years old by that point too, but were a bit ropey and had been repaired many times over their lifetime a la "Triggers Broom" but the more recent benches were made in-house with softwood that was bought in for the students work anyway, and you had the students for free labour too so it made sense to make them and buy the vices to fit rather than buy pre-made benches.

It seemed towards the end they tried to downscale the business and diversify their line of products but it seems it was too little too late, the company Everwood Limited has been liquidated voluntarily and all assets were sold off back in August, I actually saw the auction but I didn't twig that it was the company that made the benches:

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/lambert-smith-hampton/catalogue-id-ed10694?archivesearch=False
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Emir Benches Consigned to History

Postby Alf » 20 Oct 2021, 23:14

The lot of 243 Emir bench hooks, for instance, didn't tip you off? ;)

That's sad to see, but, no, not unexpected. Their tambour door cabinets may partially have influenced one of my long-held, never realised, tool storage solutions.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 20 Oct 2021, 23:19

Alf wrote:The lot of 243 Emir bench hooks, for instance, didn't tip you off? ;)

I thought they were just very keen :lol:

To be fair, I only saw the big machines at the time, I don't tend to look at a whole auction unless I'm interested as it's only the first couple of pages that have the good stuff, it immediately becomes quite rubbish after that with little worthless bits and bobs.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Oct 2021, 07:10

We used Emir benches at Shoreditch College in the 70's...used and abused more like :D Completely bullet proof and my own one is more or less a direct copy of their cabinet makers bench - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat