It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:08

First drive of an electric car

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: First drive of an electric car

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Jan 2022, 18:33

:lol: That is a titchy car designed for City use. :shock: Good luck driving all across Europe in a day with that with 5 adults and luggage and getting there without feeling knackered. And finding somewhere around where I live that actually supplies LPG: I would have to drive 40 miles just to find a garage that sells it. :lol:

PS: I am sure there are plenty of economical cars about that can go quite a long way. It's not really my thing comparing car specs these days. I was generalising .....more accurate commentators are available. Probably.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 25 Jan 2022, 19:26

There will never be agreement on this subject as we're all looking for something different, we may have some similar priorities but the order of those in the list is going to be very different.

For those who drive only locally with few or no long trips and who are happy with little bone shakers which they all are when compared to larger cars because of wheelbase then that's fine there are plenty of BEV models out there albeit at a still far too expensive prices.
We have 2 other cars apart from my SUV, my wife's 16 month Mini Cooper auto which is great fun to drive especially around the country roads but the suspension is so hard I'm glad I haven't got false teeth, :lol: and a very low mileage 6 year old Skoda Citigo which only does about £1000 miles a year on holiday. Would I want something that size for normal use? Definitely not as I want some comfort and a bit of luxury as well as power which I can't find at the minute at a reasonable cost compared to an ICE vehicle with similar spec, I've no doubt one day but not yet...not yet and I feel that the forced move to BEV will just keep prices well above what was normal pricing a couple of years ago.

We all have choices to make relating to our own needs and aspirations and those of us who can afford to pay are lucky to have that choice, the majority certainly can't afford to and it will still be a while before enough trickle down the s/h market. I am very interested to read actual experiences from people who actually own and drive a BEV but the opposite applies to having google links shoved down my throat but then I've solved that with the ignore function. ;)
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Jan 2022, 19:28

AJB Temple wrote::lol: That is a titchy car designed for City use. :shock: Good luck driving all across Europe in a day with that with 5 adults and luggage and getting there without feeling knackered. And finding somewhere around where I live that actually supplies LPG: I would have to drive 40 miles just to find a garage that sells it. :lol:

PS: I am sure there are plenty of economical cars about that can go quite a long way. It's not really my thing comparing car specs these days. I was generalising .....more accurate commentators are available. Probably.

It's still 800 miles on one fill up of LPG and petrol! You didn't leave yourself much 'wriggle room' :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jan 2022, 19:54

AJB Temple wrote:finding somewhere around where I live that actually supplies LPG: I would have to drive 40 miles just to find a garage that sells it. :lol:

Ahem, cough cough, East Peckham Service Station. Just a tad under 40 miles away. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Jan 2022, 20:53

No stock there Andy. There is almost always a sign that it is out of order, as is the car wash.

They claim to supply Calor as well but hardly ever have any large cylinders. The place appears to be run by teenagers.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jan 2022, 21:29

Fair enough Adrian, I did think it would not have escaped your attention. I see a lot of the local council vehicles here running on LPG. Although advertised as being available in a few local stations I’ve not paid much attention.
What I am seeing a lot of now is E85, half the price of E10 but needs engine modifications.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 25 Jan 2022, 22:17

Yes. I bake for one of our elderly neighbour couples in the lane. They are very sprightly and in their 80s. They have lived here for 66 years. He converted a car to LPG some years ago and he tells me it was a bad move because it is increasingly less available. Bad idea IMO anyway as the tank takes up half the boot space in his little car.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 25 Jan 2022, 22:30

My uncle has just had a chat with his neighbour about the Nissan Leaf (2018 model?) that the neighbour has bought. He was proudly showing it off and happened to comment that you couldn't hear it at all when it was switched on. Except that wasn't true; my uncle could hear whether the car was switched on or not, but the neighbour couldn't understand how/why. Apparently the car, when switched on, causes some sort of interference on my uncle's hearing aid. That is a new one on me, and I imagine this could make it annoying to ride in such a car.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby droogs » 26 Jan 2022, 00:01

The BEV market is about to change rapidly in the UK this year. By last count around 10 new brands are about to launch here and in europe, all chinese of course but rumours Tata may bring their 12k BEV city car this year too.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Woodster » 26 Jan 2022, 12:06

droogs wrote:The BEV market is about to change rapidly in the UK this year. By last count around 10 new brands are about to launch here and in europe, all chinese of course but rumours Tata may bring their 12k BEV city car this year too.

A guy on YouTube has been predicting this. Sales of BEV’s in China went from 1.3 million units in 2020 to 3.3 million units last year.

Will your next car be a BYD, a NIO, an Xpeng or some other make you’ve never heard of! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 26 Jan 2022, 14:25

Top of my wish list if get well enough to get back into FT work and can afford a car is the BYD Han, a truly superb car for the money and when they launch in Europe they will be fitted with the top line Blade Btty and for the European market they are also launcing an estate version which is the one I want.

https://insideevs.com/news/562852/byd-h ... n-version/

If I win the lotto as well then want to get one of their ETM6's to convert to a camper

https://bydeurope.com/pdp-etm-6
droogs
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Jan 2022, 15:02

Interesting. I'm not familiar with BYD.

I just picked up my car from service this morning. They have managed to magic up about 20 miles of extra range from somewhere. I was talking to one of the techs, ex BMW (he used to service my M4 cab) and he asked what I thought of driving electric cars. I said they are the Chicken Korma of the curry menu: rather bland.

This is what I think many will find when they eventually switch to electric cars. The acceleration performance easily beats most petrol cars hands down, but the whole driving experience is rather insulated and dull. It's interesting - I like driving and much prefer a manual gearbox performance car. I don't really like all the driver aids that come with electric either. Coming home was all motorway M25 and A21 apart from the last bit, and I let the revamped auto drive do it all. It identifies speed limits dead on accurately, traffic lights, surrounding traffic and so on and really there would be no need to touch the accelerator or brake at all for 90% of the trip. It will approach traffic or a roundabout for example, and just deal with it, using whatever buffer gaps the driver sets up in the computer. You have to jiggle the wheel quite often, but the whole experience is super smooth but rather bland.

And to my amazement, Tesla have sacked their car washers and now give customers their cars back just as mucky as they went in. I shall have to visit a car wash. Outrage.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 26 Jan 2022, 15:04

Both of those BYD’s look really nice Alan. When the time comes I want an SUV or maybe a crossover as getting in and out is a bit easier on my back! :D

Something like the Toyota BZ4X might suit if they can bring the price down!

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Jan 2022, 15:08

AJB Temple wrote:..... The acceleration performance easily beats most petrol cars hands down, but the whole driving experience is rather insulated and dull. ....

Both my wife and I agree with you completely. We've always had 'interesting' cars to drive and still do.

This year, the S2000 will definitely be back on the road in spring/summer :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Jan 2022, 16:31

"This is what I think many will find when they eventually switch to electric cars. The acceleration performance easily beats most petrol cars hands down, but the whole driving experience is rather insulated and dull."
I wonder if despite the manufacturers best efforts we get a certain amount of vibration through the car from the ic engine and of course we can hear it as well, I have always thought that electric cars should be made to make a noise of some sort from a safety point of view, but it might also be that if an electric car produced the sort of wonderful deep throated burble that you get from a V8 coupled with subliminal vibration through the steering wheel it might improve the driving experience. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby droogs » 26 Jan 2022, 18:44

the sterile and dull feel with an electric car, especially on B roads comes down the the fact most of them have no direct physical connect between the wheels at the front and the one in your hand. The steering is electronically controlled just like the hand brake. Perhaps this is where MS or an enterprising android/python coder could make a mint in by creating a feedback system similar to the vibration feedback on high end gaming controls to mimic the vibration at the wheels with variable weighting linked to speed/grip.
droogs
Old Oak

Postby droogs » 26 Jan 2022, 18:47

Woodster wrote:Both of those BYD’s look really nice Alan. When the time comes I want an SUV or maybe a crossover as getting in and out is a bit easier on my back! :D

Something like the Toyota BZ4X might suit if they can bring the price down!

Toyota are going to be using BYD to build all their BEVs, they signed an aggreement about a month ago
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Gill » 26 Jan 2022, 18:50

My old ic car produces way too many noises!

It's off the road right now. It was in the local garage for its MOT when an old dear reversed her land rover into it.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Woodster » 26 Jan 2022, 19:58

droogs wrote:Toyota are going to be using BYD to build all their BEVs, they signed an aggreement about a month ago

I’m not surprised. There’s been huge investment in the technology in China.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 26 Jan 2022, 20:05

Gill wrote:My old ic car produces way too many noises!

It's off the road right now. It was in the local garage for its MOT when an old dear reversed her land rover into it.
Vera?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodster » 26 Jan 2022, 20:23

AJB Temple wrote:
This is what I think many will find when they eventually switch to electric cars. The acceleration performance easily beats most petrol cars hands down, but the whole driving experience is rather insulated and dull.

I won’t post a link Adrian but if you look on the This is Money site they published some interesting data on 4 January this year about whether buyers would go back to fossil fuel cars. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Jan 2022, 21:17

I've never left fossil fuel cars. Nor do I intend to. It's not a mutually exclusive thing. I don't usually bother with surveys as they are so rarely well controlled and unbiased.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 26 Jan 2022, 21:26

AJB Temple wrote:I've never left fossil fuel cars. Nor do I intend to. It's not a mutually exclusive thing. I don't usually bother with surveys as they are so rarely well controlled and unbiased.

+1
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 27 Jan 2022, 00:37

Lons wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:I've never left fossil fuel cars. Nor do I intend to. It's not a mutually exclusive thing. I don't usually bother with surveys as they are so rarely well controlled and unbiased.

+1

+2
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 29 Jan 2022, 13:28

This one popped up on IndustryTap, good idea, no noise to upset the neighbours :lol: :lol:

https://www.industrytap.com/doosan-bobc ... gger/61468

This was another one, gives a whole new meaning to fat as a pig :lol: :lol:

https://www.industrytap.com/in-a-frist- ... e-us/61409
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat