It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:53

Kettle BBQs

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Kettle BBQs

Postby Gill » 10 Nov 2021, 11:48

Andyp wrote:...All our heating wood is hard, oak, beech and chestnut.

Whilst I suspect you’re burning off-cuts not fit for anything else, I can’t help but reflect on how long it takes those trees to grow and what an ignominious end it is for them to burn for a couple of hours to provide a meal that will not even be a memory for very long. I guess the same could be said for all fossil fuels. I worry about how cavalier humanity is with the world’s glory.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Andyp » 10 Nov 2021, 12:17

greeno wrote:What is wrong with gas BBQ?

Wife is an aussie and we converted to it a few years ago, wouldn't go back.

Throw stuff on, close lid, set timer, good every time.

As it's so easy, we bbq year round.

We've a couple of webers, you can easily feel the quality difference to cheap ones. Your definitely in the buy cheap, buy twice world with them.

I can’t imagine we would use it often enough to justify extra cost, footprint and portability. We like to odd occasion when we sit outside and stargaze huddled around a very small bbq for warmth. Cant imagine cosying up to a gas bbq.

Went to a weber stockist ( so called) this morning. They had none. All moved into warehouse to make space for the chalet de noel.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 10 Nov 2021, 12:19

Tiresias wrote:For cooking outside in winter, why not try one of these chappies.

DSC01442.jpg

[

The setting looks gorgeous.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 10 Nov 2021, 12:24

Gill wrote:
Andyp wrote:...All our heating wood is hard, oak, beech and chestnut.

Whilst I suspect you’re burning off-cuts not fit for anything else, I can’t help but reflect on how long it takes those trees to grow and what an ignominious end it is for them to burn for a couple of hours to provide a meal that will not even be a memory for very long. I guess the same could be said for all fossil fuels. I worry about how cavalier humanity is with the world’s glory.

All our wood is sourced from sustainable woodland through the ONF (french forestry commission ) If we did not use the odd bit on a BBQ it would be used as kindling on the wood burner. Alternative cooking would be gas (fossil fuel) or electric, most of which here is nuclear.
And some of my bbqs have been very memorable. For all the wrong reasons . :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Nov 2021, 12:45

Never owned a BBQ apart from one of those ghastly, el cheapo metal things. I disliked the whole process; hated the mess and cleaning up the congealed burger grease thereof at the end - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Nov 2021, 13:16

It's a skill Rob. Like woodwork. You need to access your inner caveman. 8-)

My first few attempts, years ago, were memorable for the inedible output. Eventually I got better and became an enthusiast. Go to parts of the states and pit master food is the best!

(PS, as a general observation and casting no aspersions anywhere, people who don't cook well in a kitchen, cook worse on a BBQ. I have been to far too many events when men (it's always men) who can barely make a cup of tea, turn into Gordon Ramsay in their minds when faced with the manly challenge of BBQ. )
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Nov 2021, 13:42

AJB Temple wrote:It's a skill Rob. Like woodwork. You need to access your inner caveman. 8-)

Sod the caveman Adrian, cooking's for the kitchen :lol: and a self cleaning oven followed by a decent dishwasher - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Nov 2021, 13:51

:lol: I am inclined to agree. My new kitchen is the same, but I do enjoy the outdoor kitchen in summer. The ceramic BBQs are not messy, as from time to time you can run them very hot (far more than even a top notch domestic oven, which typically maxes out at 160 C) and at say 350C they burn off all grease to dust. The ash then gets used as soil compost conditioner in the garden. BBQs are sociable in summer, and quite good if quite a few people come over.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Nov 2021, 14:59

AJB Temple wrote::lol: I am inclined to agree. My new kitchen is the same, but I do enjoy the outdoor kitchen in summer. The ceramic BBQs are not messy, as from time to time you can run them very hot (far more than even a top notch domestic oven, which typically maxes out at 160 C) and at say 350C they burn off all grease to dust. The ash then gets used as soil compost conditioner in the garden. BBQs are sociable in summer, and quite good if quite a few people come over.

The kitchen here is but a few steps from the upper terrarse/pond and the window actually overlooks the table and umby (for when it's hot as it's directly South facing) so there's really no practical need for a BBQ; plus SWIMBO hates the things more than I do - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Gill » 10 Nov 2021, 15:04

I've got a gas cooker, an air fryer, a slow cooker, a halogen oven, a microwave oven, a toaster, a bread machine, a George Foreman grill and yes... a barbecue. Lately I've been thinking that I could cook most meals in just one of these appliances even though some of them do the job much better than others. I really cannot see me cooking toast in a microwave! I hardly ever use the barbecue or the grill. The consumer society may generate wealth but at what cost to the environment? It's disturbing to think I'm guilty of not paying attention to what is effectively a waste of limited resources. I'm increasingly wondering how future generations will regard our indugences.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Andyp » 10 Nov 2021, 15:39

Oh Gill, it is the future generations, well my kids anyway, that are insisting my cheapo little pressed steel barbie is no longer up to the job. At least when I buy the Weber it should last long enough for one of them to inherit.
We only have 3 sockets in our kitchen. Kettle, toaster and Amazon dot.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 12 Nov 2021, 11:45

In a round a bout kind of way I broached the subject or new improved BBQ with LOL last night.

She is adamant that the stand up to cook type is not a great idea. She would prefer the fire pit, low down type where we could all sit around, keep warm and grill our own bangers etc.
This seems like not a daft idea considering our past and projected usage and Weber do something along those lines.
A Smokey Joe.
BDA7B954-AE2C-4755-A33B-2FDDBDEB2990.jpeg
(84.03 KiB)

However it only has a 14” diameter grill.

Weber do make a large one, the Jumbo Joe 18”
1E43253E-FF99-483A-9040-06F2EBBCEE68.jpeg
(70.98 KiB)

Added benefits of an ash tray underneath, cleaning device and better aeration.

But for the life of me I cannot find a supplier anywhere in europe. I await a response from Weber to see if they do distribute this side of the pond.

So thinking cap still on at the mo.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Alf » 12 Nov 2021, 12:21

I'm sure I'm about to reveal dazzling ignorance and feminine thinking - but how does that differ from an ordinary BBQ with its legs chopped off? I mean, couldn't you just chop the legs down on a regular one?
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby droogs » 12 Nov 2021, 12:24

can't you just get a cheapie from leclerc?
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Pete Maddex » 12 Nov 2021, 12:30

Alf wrote:
Pete Maddex wrote:Buy the cheapest use it, leave it out until it rusts through and repeat.

Pete

I gather all the COP26 stuff has passed you by, Pete? ;)

The desire for BBQs utterly eludes me. The whole thrust of civilisation has worked to get in out of the rain and have a reliable, controllable method of cooking. Mankind achieves this, and promptly decides he must go back out in the rain and set fire to some sticks. :eusa-think:

:D

The scrap man comes by and picks up the rusty one for recycling, that's good right?

:D

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 12 Nov 2021, 12:39

Andyp wrote:In a round a bout kind of way I broached the subject or new improved BBQ with LOL last night.

She is adamant that the stand up to cook type is not a great idea. She would prefer the fire pit, low down type where we could all sit around, keep warm and grill our own bangers etc.
This seems like not a daft idea considering our past and projected usage and Weber do something along those lines.
A Smokey Joe.
BDA7B954-AE2C-4755-A33B-2FDDBDEB2990.jpeg

However it only has a 14” diameter grill.

Weber do make a large one, the Jumbo Joe 18”
1E43253E-FF99-483A-9040-06F2EBBCEE68.jpeg

Added benefits of an ash tray underneath, cleaning device and better aeration.

But for the life of me I cannot find a supplier anywhere in europe. I await a response from Weber to see if they do distribute this side of the pond.

So thinking cap still on at the mo.

I've got a little ground level Weber. It's a bit like that one but without the ash tray (in fact the bottom is closed so no ash can come out) and the lid isn't attached. It's perfect for the four of us and we can use it anywhere in the garden. It's also excellent for camping/beach BBQs.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Nov 2021, 12:54

Thanks Nick,
The larger one with the ash pan and ventilation will give me a greater opportunity to be a bit more adventurous.
I am seriously considering getting one of the full height ones and cutting the legs down. :eusa-think:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 12 Nov 2021, 13:14

I’ve got one of the small full height Weber’s and it works well. I use charcoal but always with hickory wood chips for flavour.

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/accessories ... 42#start=1

Just as important for me is that it sits in the garden under its own cover when not in use and after about six years in all weather it’s still in good condition.

Latest addition is an Ooni which we’re still using now in November.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 Nov 2021, 13:42

I went to a party where they had a fire pit, the garden was full of smoke all evening.
Put me off the idea permanently.
We do have a cheap chimina (spp) for autumn evenings that I use to burn all my off cuts.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 12 Nov 2021, 15:08

I've been using a weber smokey Joe for the past few years.

It does for the 2 of us comfortably and at a push can do enough food for 4 though possibly not all at once.

I use it on a table. Sitting down to BBQ doesn't work for me.

I made a metal divider so that the coals are only on one half of the grate. That gives a hot and cooler side for cooking. With the lid on the BBQ is an oven so food not above the coals still cooks but doesn't brown much. Makes it easier to avoid cremating and get everything properly cooked and not dried out.
Take the lid off and the heat soon increases when you want more browning.

Shut the vents and it goes out and the charcoal just needs topping up next time. Ash gets emptied after about 4 or 5 outings as the vents are in the side and there is nothing to block underneath.

It is still in good condition and I would replace it with the same without a second thought.

I dislike open BBQs now and much prefer the control a well fitting lid gives.

Oh and I've never felt the need to use one of those chimney starters. The Joe wouldn't need a lot of charcoal to fill a chimney. One firelighter and pile it on top works for me.
Last edited by Robert on 12 Nov 2021, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: afterthought.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Robert » 12 Nov 2021, 15:15

Woodster wrote:Latest addition is an Ooni which we’re still using now in November.

At the risk of going off topic the recent Ooni discounts have had me thinking. maybe if they go cheaper for black friday...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodster » 12 Nov 2021, 15:15

Robert wrote:
It is still in good condition and I would replace it with the same without a second thought.

I dislike open BBQs now and much prefer the control a well fitting lid gives.

Oh and I've never felt the need to use one of those chimney starters. The Joe wouldn't need a lot of charcoal to fill a chimney. One firelighter and pile it on top works for me.

Agreed, and agreed. We used to have a large gas BBQ which was very convenient but the food tasted the same as if it was cooked indoors. Using charcoal on a BBQ with a lid adds a unique flavour.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Nov 2021, 15:30

Nice to hear that Robert, you confirm what I thought about the size.
Such a god awful shame that Weber don't deem to ship the Smokey Joe's big brother the Jumbo Joe to anywhere in Europe.
As far as I can see it is not in any of their European websites but is available in NZ and Aus.
I sent a nice email to Weber France to see if they are prepared to get one for me but I doubt it.

Why do I always want something that it unobtainable? I blame the interweb. If it wasn't for Google I'd be none the wiser that stuff is available elsewhere and therefore not frustrated when I cant get hold of it. :evil:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 12 Nov 2021, 15:52

Alf wrote:I'm sure I'm about to reveal dazzling ignorance and feminine thinking - but how does that differ from an ordinary BBQ with its legs chopped off? I mean, couldn't you just chop the legs down on a regular one?

Indeed you are correct. There is a cost disadvantage to cutting the legs off the bigger one though. But I am giving it some serious thought.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 12 Nov 2021, 15:58

droogs wrote:can't you just get a cheapie from leclerc?

Buying cheap is always an option Alan. But I'd rather not have to buy twice if I can help it. By all accounts the Weber is more than likely to give a better cooking experience and last a lot long longer with spares available if needed then some cheap options from any of the sheds.

I could of course wait until next spring when the Christmas tat is out of the shops and they bring out their garden stuff again at least then I would actually be able to see something.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat