It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:22

Pedant's paradise

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Pedant's paradise

Postby Just4fun » 03 Dec 2021, 13:21

droogs wrote:There is no 24 hour clock

Oh yes there is

, 24:00hrs does not exist

Oh yes it does. (I feel I am getting into practise for panto season).

you do not get 24:00:01.

That is true. ISO 8601 specifically states that if the hour value is 24 the minute (and seconds) values must be zero.

A day is 23 hours 59 minutes long.

:o :shock: :lol:

If all the modern tech with internal clocks worked on 24 hours then everything would happen an hour later every day

No. 24:00:00 on Monday is the same as 00:00:00 Tuesday.
The time tells you how many complete hours, minutes and seconds have elapsed since midnight. That can be 24:00:00 after the midnight between Sunday and Monday, or 00:00:00 after the midnight between Monday and Tuesday. The context will determine which makes the most sense.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 07 Dec 2021, 08:37

But 23.59 and 00.01 are unambiguous, therefore more sensible.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Andyp » 07 Dec 2021, 09:34

The fun seems to be used in a strange way of late.

I here often "It was so fun"
:shock:

Or is it me?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 07 Dec 2021, 09:42

Andyp wrote:The fun seems to be used in a strange way of late.

Or is it me?

I'd have said that 'so' was wrong. Fun is OK in the context "It was such fun" I think.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Dec 2021, 09:45

RogerS wrote:

Or is it me?

I'd have said that 'so' was wrong. Fun is OK in the context "It was such fun" I think.

Or “It was so much fun” perhaps
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Phil Pascoe » 07 Dec 2021, 10:13

"It was so fun"? I've never heard that one.
Pronunciation drifts irritate me as much as syntax ones. When and why did financial shift from fine ancial to finn ancial? Decade from deck ade to d'cayed? The world's language of course is American English, not English.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby John Brown » 07 Dec 2021, 11:08

Or is it me?

Having an American wife and three American stepdaughters, not to mention four grandchildren and one on the way, I like to think I'm quite relaxed about different usages and pronunciations. However, I still wince at"so fun", and get frustrated at their inability to understand the difference between bring and take.
There is no right and wrong. Words mean what the majority think they mean. Eventually this us reflected in the published dictionaries.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Vann » 07 Dec 2021, 11:40

Or is it me?

While we're being pedantic - that's "hear" :eusa-naughty:

But I agree "...so fun" grates my nerves.

When I started working, 48 years ago, I remember asking one of my fellow apprentices "why are there so many grumpy old guys here?" - and now I am one :eusa-dance: .

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 07 Dec 2021, 16:03

Phil Pascoe wrote:But 23.59 and 00.01 are unambiguous, therefore more sensible.

That's true if the error isn't important, but that isn't always so. Sometimes it matters that something happens at midnight exactly rather than 1 minute earlier or one minute later.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 07 Dec 2021, 16:05

You could always say "a minute after 23.59 Saturday 5th" or whatever. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 07 Dec 2021, 16:42

Vann wrote:

Or is it me?

While we're being pedantic - that's "hear" :eusa-naughty:

Vann.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I will resist using the powers available to me to edit out all record of such a dreadful error.

Hangs head in shame.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Dec 2021, 19:36

I went to a Grammar School! :D

12390994_1004585096267446_2071872747062161161_n.jpg
(48.23 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 19 Dec 2021, 07:54

I give you skedule rather than shedule

Phil Pascoe wrote:.........The world's language of course is American English, not English.

The clue, for our colonial friends, is in the name. And by number of speakers, I reckon the world language is probably SE Asian english.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Alf » 19 Dec 2021, 08:19

I had the misfortune to see a small segment of "CBBC" television yesterday, on which the young lady corrupting future generations absolutely insisted on pronouncing HQ as "Haitch"Q rather than "aitch"Q. Repeatedly. Think - or rather, these days "fink", as the "th" sound is also becoming an endangered species - of all the little kiddies innocently listening, assuming this must be correct because "it's on the telly" and adopting it for their very own. What a happy thought.

Not that I've anything against regional accents and non-RP speech - on the contrary. Pretty sure absolutely no-one has accidentally started speaking in RP and lost their natural accent and regional idiom, but I'm not at all sure that's the case if regularly exposed to this increasing mish-mash of "normal" speech. I fear everyone's going to end up sounding the same, and it's not even a good same.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Dec 2021, 09:04

Alf wrote:I had the misfortune to see a small segment of "CBBC" television yesterday, on which the young lady corrupting future generations absolutely insisted on pronouncing HQ as "Haitch"Q rather than "aitch"Q. Repeatedly. Think - or rather, these days "fink", as the "th" sound is also becoming an endangered species - of all the little kiddies innocently listening, assuming this must be correct because "it's on the telly" and adopting it for their very own. What a happy thought.

Not that I've anything against regional accents and non-RP speech - on the contrary. Pretty sure absolutely no-one has accidentally started speaking in RP and lost their natural accent and regional idiom, but I'm not at all sure that's the case if regularly exposed to this increasing mish-mash of "normal" speech. I fear everyone's going to end up sounding the same, and it's not even a good same.

You're bang on an' smashin' it. Innit, Bro ?

Sadly I agree with you. We're seriously thinking about turning on subtitles for some programmes.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 19 Dec 2021, 09:22

Accents can be wonderful, some not so! but as you say they will be all watered down within a few more years the rate it’s going. I’ve often thought that comedians like Peter Kay or Billy Connolly wouldn’t be half as funny without their accents, mind you I suspect the Bigyin had to change his a little for anybody to understand his thick Glaswegian accent.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Phil Pascoe » 19 Dec 2021, 12:54

I had Billy's albums from the '70s - his accent was sometimes unintelligible.

Someone in a newspaper a while back made an interesting observation - all regional accents are fading as more people move around, marry people from different places etc. .................. except the Liverpool accent, which seems to be getting stronger (worse? :lol: ). He said the younger people he knew were far more broad than his older relatives who had been born and brought up there. I was born and brought up in West Cornwall, and 40 or 50 years ago I could speak to people who lived 20 miles west of me and not understand them - it's rare now to hear a really strong accent. I do lapse into the vernacular on occasion, though.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 19 Dec 2021, 13:46

Is it the poor sound on my TV or is the s in us being replaced by a z ?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Vann » 19 Dec 2021, 17:41

Andyp wrote:Is it the poor sound on my TV or is the s in us being replaced by a z ?

I don't know about your television set, but it is in the spell checks on most forums I visit. Including British forums.

Organize (types random word that should finish with "...ise) - yes including this one.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 19 Dec 2021, 17:54

Vann wrote:
Andyp wrote:Is it the poor sound on my TV or is the s in us being replaced by a z ?

I don't know about your television set, but it is in the spell checks on most forums I visit. Including British forums.

Organize (types random word that should finish with "...ise) - yes including this one.

Cheers, Vann.

Spell checkers don't usually reside on forums but instead are part of the browser that you use to view the forums. Even if you have set your word processor to NZ English , the browsers don't always pick that up.

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 19 Dec 2021, 18:37

Vann wrote:

Cheers, Vann.

It is the way that US is pronounced that bothers me it so often sounds like UZ to me

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Dec 2021, 12:21

Andyp wrote:
It is the way that US is pronounced that bothers me it so often sounds like UZ to me

I’ve always pronounced it that way (uz). One of my mum’s best friends has always pronounced it more like you though (uss), which I’ve always noticed. She also pronounces the ‘th’ sound in some ‘th’ words (but not all). For instance I’ve always been fascinated that she says ‘though’ pronounced like ‘throw’ but without the ‘r’.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Dec 2021, 13:25

TrimTheKing wrote:
Andyp wrote:

I’ve always pronounced it that way (uz). One of my mum’s best friends has always pronounced it more like you though (uss), which I’ve always noticed. She also pronounces the ‘th’ sound in some ‘th’ words (but not all). For instance I’ve always been fascinated that she says ‘though’ pronounced like ‘throw’ but without the ‘r’.

Can’t imagine an other way to pronounce though differently to your mothers way. We need phonetics!
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Dec 2021, 13:32

Cabinetman wrote:Can’t imagine an other way to pronounce though differently to your mothers way. We need phonetics!

Okay, I pronounce it like this https://youtu.be/BEcOcH1G-6w

She pronounces it with a harder ‘th’, imagine the ‘th’ from Thor.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Dec 2021, 14:59

Yes, interesting, I’m coming across all sorts of strange pronunciation with my American friends, I think the way they pronounce concrete is probably the one that jars most, it’s almost two words the first one is con and then an almost imperceptible pause before they say crete.
But the one that drives me really nuts is they don’t ever use the word acclimatised, to them it’s acklimated.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat