It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:20

What a palaver 2

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

What a palaver 2

Postby Trevanion » 29 Nov 2021, 20:49

So I bought a rare book ("How to Tend Saws, Knives, and Cutters: For Machine Woodworkers and Sawmill Owners", as it turns out ;)) from a shop that is based in Johannesburg, South Africa, the shop in question being https://www.bookdealers.co.za/ who seem like a legitimate shop. Because I'm buying from abroad they sent me an invoice with a note saying that shipping will be calculated and I would be sent a quote within 3-5 working days, that was back on the 15th and I've heard nothing yet, I've sent them two emails too (one last Wednesday and one today) and still nothing.

I bought it on the credit card just in case something like this happened, I'm just curious if anyone's had any experience with chargebacks that were international and for items bought with a foreign currency? I want the book but it seems that nothing is happening on their side.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: What a palaver 2

Postby wallace » 29 Nov 2021, 20:59

My wife used to like buying bags from ioffer. I made sure anything she bought was with a credit card. I had to make 2 claims and it was really easy, just called them with details and they dealt with it. It took a while.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 Nov 2021, 21:01

I had a refund on my mastercard after a frustrated purchase from China with minimal drama.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Blackswanwood » 29 Nov 2021, 21:15

Chargeback rights are enshrined in the scheme rules of Mastercard, Visa etc and apply to international transactions so you should be okay. I am pretty sure (but not certain) that you carry the currency movement risk if you paid in anything other than sterling though.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Trevanion » 30 Nov 2021, 20:25

I got a very apologetic reply, and a quote for postage.

£25 :shock:

They've offered a refund if the quote is too extreme and I think I'll go for the refund as the postage is a few times the price of the actual book :lol:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 03 Dec 2021, 13:19

500ZAR does sound a bit steep for postage or even a courier.

But then again we have African inflation, Brexit inflation if it goes via Europe before it hits the UK inflation :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so long ago Bob posted me some spares and if I recall correctly the postage was about 9GBP.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Peri » 04 Dec 2021, 14:04

https://ozwrenches.com/sales-woodworking-stuff.htm

There's a copy for sale there, about 3/4's the way down the page - but it's in Australia and its 50AUD just to buy it.
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Trevanion » 04 Dec 2021, 15:03

I want to thank an anonymous person (I know who it is as they sent a PM saying that they had, but I think they'd like to remain anonymous) from this very forum for getting in touch with the bookseller that they actually knew and prodding them to get in touch with me about it, this forum is a great place with even greater people.

Phil wrote:500ZAR does sound a bit steep for postage or even a courier.

But then again we have African inflation, Brexit inflation if it goes via Europe before it hits the UK inflation :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so long ago Bob posted me some spares and if I recall correctly the postage was about 9GBP.

I think because of the lack of flights coming from SA to the UK as a result of the omicron travel restrictions the price of shipping has gone through the roof, to be fair their quote was the cheapest that could be had, I saw quotes for nearly £80 for the same-sized package. Conversely, for me to send a same-sized package to SA from here would've only been about £10. They did offer to hold it for me until shipping prices relaxed hopefully in the new year, but onto my next point...

Peri wrote:https://ozwrenches.com/sales-woodworking-stuff.htm

There's a copy for sale there, about 3/4's the way down the page - but it's in Australia and its 50AUD just to buy it.

I managed to get a copy on UK eBay by pure coincidence by looking at the time I was sorting out the response to their email, and it's just arrived as I'm typing this, the total cost was less than the postage quote from SA :D
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat