It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:48

Google Drive on PC

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Google Drive on PC

Postby 9fingers » 30 Nov 2021, 16:47

In the last year or so google drive has mutated from online access only to a version that appears to mount a drive on my desktop. That seems to work ok for me apart from not being able to empty the trash ( Recycle bin in windows speak) from my desk top.
I use the drive for automatic back ups which creates about 10GB of data per week comprising one full backup and 6 daily incremental backups which the backup programme moves to trash once they have been replaced.
Google throws out the trash after 30 days and includes the contents of the trash in my 15GB disk allowance so it does not take long before I run out of space.

To stop this happening Google invites me to buy more storage space but that is only going to be used to store 30days worth of trash. The useful data I need to store is only about 10GB and within the free allowance.

Is this just another google ploy to make money or is there a way to run a script on my pc to empty the Google trash every day or preferably instruct google to delete my trash every day?

OK it is only £16 per year to buy more storage but it goes against grain to buy extra just to use it to store trash :?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Google Drive on PC

Postby Sheffield Tony » 30 Nov 2021, 18:24

If you go to Google drive by web browser, select the trash folder, right click on what you don't want, select "delete forever"

Could get tedious if you have a lot of stuff.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby 9fingers » 30 Nov 2021, 18:43

Sheffield Tony wrote:If you go to Google drive by web browser, select the trash folder, right click on what you don't want, select "delete forever"

Could get tedious if you have a lot of stuff.

Thanks Tony
Yes I've found that method but don't see how I could automate it.
Google makes it awkward as it will no longer recognise my favoured browser (SeaMonkey)
But since posting I've found the iphone app for Google drive which reduces the emptying process to a few screen presses. I just need to add it to my morning coffee routine.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Sheffield Tony » 30 Nov 2021, 23:15

Ubuntu Linux can back up to Google drive, and somehow manages to properly delete old files. Dunno how.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Postby Eric the Viking » 30 Nov 2021, 23:36

That's interesting. Can you script it to make a tarball or something on a regular basis?

I'm nowhere near my Google Drive allowance presently. Right in the middle of a big (for me) research project, but multi-tabbed spreadsheets only come out at tens of kB, so it's hard to use up all the space! The document sharing is really nice compared to M$ though - I often have to jointly work on a document with someone at home elsewhere, and it makes it easier than looking over their shoulder at an office desk!
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 01 Dec 2021, 00:13

I didn't need to. It just does it. You tell it about your Google account, what you do/don't want backed up, and it does full / incremental backups to a given schedule.

I am a long standing Slackware Linux user (since about 1995) having grown up on Unix, but for regular desktop use, I'm impressed by how much just works with Ubuntu.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Postby spb » 01 Dec 2021, 00:54

Eric the Viking wrote:The document sharing is really nice compared to M$ though - I often have to jointly work on a document with someone at home elsewhere, and it makes it easier than looking over their shoulder at an office desk!

That's something that's changed a lot in the last few years, at least for business users - current versions of Office integrate so well with Teams, OneDrive and the hosted SharePoint and Exchange options that it's able to beat any collaborative editing I've ever seen Google Docs be able to do.

That, and you're still working in a full purpose-written desktop application, without the limitations of a browser environment.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Eric the Viking » 03 Dec 2021, 20:32

I stand to be corrected, but isn't Teams basically a web app beneath the surface? It certainly seems to be. I thought Office 365 was also.

I don't usually use Micro$oft stuff at all, so only have a Linux binary of Teams loaded for the purpose of a current project... which has , today, finished (phew!) so I shall be removing it again.

I was rather underwhelmed by the whole thing, more so because none of the 'hardened' Teams users in the office actually seemed to know how to operate it. And intuitive it most certainly isn't.

Google Docs is horses for courses: it's far from being a fully featured WP, but it is sufficiently functional for most tasks. Like most word processors to this day, it is poor at doing numbered lists, and the lack of endnotes is exasperating (although there is a plugin that converts footnotes to endnotes as a one-time operation). I treat it as one step up from Scite (text editor), which I really like for web work, etc., and for anything moderately complex I use LibreOffice.

You can probably tell that I don't miss Micro$oft stuff at all really. I finally got fed up when they introduced "task bootlaces" or something, and removed menus. Utterly Apple-like and infuriating.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat