It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:42

Anyone using a cordless chainsaw?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Anyone using a cordless chainsaw?

Postby jimmy s » 30 Nov 2021, 20:55

After the gales at the weekend we have a few tree branches and small trees that came down to clear.

I've been dabbling changing over to battery power recently. I got a battery operated robotic mower which has been doing a grand job and a small cordless strimmer that came with it.

Anyhow, I know when I get the petrol chainsaw out I will have the usual fight to get it going etc. and have been thinking about getting a battery one for smaller jobs. The one I was thinking about getting was the 54V Dewalt one. I was hoping it would be ok for material up to 10 or 12" dia? anything bigger I would just fight with the petrol saw for now.

My thoughts were that If I got the Dewalt chainsaw then in time I may get the 54v brush cutter and ditch the petrol one. All my other cordless tools are generally Dewalt and would prefer to stick with the interchangeable battery system.

That's my thoughts - just wondering if any one here had one and if it was any use?
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Re: Anyone using a cordless chainsaw?

Postby PAC1 » 30 Nov 2021, 21:40

I have the Stihl battery system including the chain saw, strummer and hedge cutter and very happy with all. However I have not had need to use the chain saw for any length of time yet
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Nov 2021, 21:47

:text-+1: ^^

Same here with Stihl battery system, plus a Stihl petrol chainsaw. Battery is super convenient and very good.

Edit: also have a Greenworks 40v battery chainsaw (and hedge trimmer that runs off same battery). Runs slower and is smaller (and cheaper). It's also pretty good. I bought it to use from scaffolding when I was lopping several metres off a Leylandii hedge when I only had the petrol chainsaw. Easier to use at ling reach. Stops very fast.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Nov 2021, 22:42

jimmy s wrote:After the gales at the weekend we have a few tree branches and small trees that came down to clear.

I've been dabbling changing over to battery power recently. I got a battery operated robotic mower which has been doing a grand job and a small cordless strimmer that came with it.

Anyhow, I know when I get the petrol chainsaw out I will have the usual fight to get it going etc. and have been thinking about getting a battery one for smaller jobs. The one I was thinking about getting was the 54V Dewalt one. I was hoping it would be ok for material up to 10 or 12" dia? anything bigger I would just fight with the petrol saw for now.

My thoughts were that If I got the Dewalt chainsaw then in time I may get the 54v brush cutter and ditch the petrol one. All my other cordless tools are generally Dewalt and would prefer to stick with the interchangeable battery system.

That's my thoughts - just wondering if any one here had one and if it was any use?

Just get your chainsaw serviced and come winter put in some Aspen fuel and leave it. Fire up again next year. Job done.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Harv-53 » 30 Nov 2021, 22:53

I too use the stihl battery set up, the chain saw is a excellent bit of kit, the hedge cutters are brilliant and slightly lighter than the petrol ones, the blower is ok, the stihl battery cut of saw is not so good it lacks the power needed to be used in a general building environment.
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Nov 2021, 23:17

It's a funny thing with chainsaws Roger. My petrol one starts fine, but unless I am doing a serious amount of work, I invariably go for the battery one. For some inexplicable reason it feels safer. And is pretty much silent and has no fumes. If I had the choice for a first purchase, I would go battery.

However, the petrol one is more powerful. We used it to fell a lot of apple trees (70 or so) in an adjacent field a couple of years ago, and mostly cut them up for firewood (a few bits are drying as planks and bowl blanks) and for that job the petrol wins hands down as it will go all day and not miss a beat.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby jimmy s » 01 Dec 2021, 01:19

Its the noise of the petrol chainsaw Roger - my neighbors get a bit fed up with it if its going for days at a time - as it did when we first moved here as we had a lot of hung trees. I was cutting trees down for weeks and some of them were plenty big for me - largest was close to 40" diameter - could just get to the middle cutting from both sides as my petrol saw only has a 20" bar on it. For bigger stuff I would have to put up with getting the petrol one running and the racket it makes but for smaller stuff I think cordless would be much more convenient.

I never thought I would use as many cordless power tools but for working around the house they are great, I even ended up buying a cordless mastic gun, wouldn't be without it now. I think the garden tools for the smaller jobs would also make sense being cordless.

I got a wee Stihl strimmer with the lawnmower and have been quite impressed with it - its just so handy. Maybe I would be better looking at the Stihl cordless chainsaw offerings as that seems to be the way to go.
jimmy s
New Shoots

Postby Andyp » 01 Dec 2021, 11:37

Slightly off topic.

I have a Husqvarna corded chain saw. The motor is in line with the bar so it can get close to the ground, both sides, when stump trimming etc.
I am not allowed to climb a tree with a chainsaw, self imposed restriction, rigidly enforced. I have used it up a ladder but only with support.
I have a 50m ling extension lead which gets me all round my 1600m2 plot with only one replug. It is used with a circuit breaker.
I also prefer a corded Stihl hedge trimmer for keeping 100m of conifer hedge in check. The petrol Sithl combi system I find too heavy. Happy to accept I am a wimp.

Not having used a cordless chainsaw I cannot comment if the corded are more powerful. I would always be concerned about the battery losing power when most needed. With planning I do not find the cable to be an incumbrance.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby jimmy s » 01 Dec 2021, 14:34

The garden whilst not massive is quite large, and the majority of the trees that come down or big bits fall off tend to be near the perimeter or well away from the house so no 240v power - unless I lug a generator down.

There's a lot of trees to look to and the petrol one, whilst good is not the most convienient or quietest of things.
jimmy s
New Shoots

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Dec 2021, 15:18

jimmy s wrote: I think the garden tools for the smaller jobs would also make sense being cordless.

We're going to get Stihl cordless grass clippers next Spring and it also has a small hedge trimming attachment. The battery is 10.8v so plenty of power and I also intend to get hold a spare - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat