It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:14

Image posting for Mac users

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Image posting for Mac users

Postby Andyp » 01 Dec 2021, 15:46

Guys and Gals,
we have developed a method of overwriting the exif orientation data on images that appear correctly on the Mac but rotate when uploaded to WH2 on a post.
The Macs come with a built in tool called Automator. This can be used to perform any number and type of repetitive tasks.
Using Automator we have created a Workflow that rotates an image 180 degrees twice.
Once installed it is a simple as this to run.

or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVP_lDaEPPM

you wont notice any change to the images on the iMac as I said above the idea is to run it on those images that appear correct on the Mac but rotate when uploaded to WH2.

If anyone is interesting in this solution please drop me a PM with an email address.
This by no means will prevent us from updating the forum software but it may help some Mac users in the meantime.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Image posting for Mac users

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Dec 2021, 16:58

Excellent work Andy, thanks!

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 01 Dec 2021, 17:40

TrimTheKing wrote:Excellent work Andy, thanks!

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

And Roger.

Dunno why I didn't try it earlier.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Stuart » 01 Dec 2021, 21:43

Andy’s recent tip to me of simply rotating the image, save it, and then rotate back before posting also seems to work. Didn’t take long in practice either although I suspect your process is easier.

I’m still white sticking my way around the macs file structure!
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Dec 2021, 11:46

Stuart wrote:

Isn't just about the worst thing about changing operating systems?
After several years of finding my way round the way iOS does things, trying to find my way around wifes Android OS is a nightmare.
Would be so much easier if IT came with a written guide eh?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 02 Dec 2021, 11:53

Stuart wrote:Andy’s recent tip to me of simply rotating the image, save it, and then rotate back before posting also seems to work. Didn’t take long in practice either although I suspect your process is easier.

whenever you are ready Stuart PM me your email and I'll send you the workflow. It does exactly what you are doing but at a single click or two of the mouse.

I've have never felt the need to understand the file structure of the Mac. I am sure there is a word for someone who drives a car without understanding exactly how it works. That's me and computers. I can make 'em work. I can use google to help me find out how to do stuff, like the automator workflow for example. I have too many other things to try and make sense of in life to bother about how a computer works.
Hope that does not sound flippant and is not meant to be a dig at those that do understand this stuff. I am truly in awe at the depth of knowledge about so many things around here.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 02 Dec 2021, 11:56

One thing that I found confusing on the Mac when Catalina arrived was the virtual separation of the hard drive into something called Macintosh HD - data.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Stuart » 02 Dec 2021, 14:34

Andyp wrote:quote="Stuart"]
I've have never felt the need to understand the file structure of the Mac. I am sure there is a word for someone who drives a car without understanding exactly how it works. That's me and computers. I can make 'em work. I can use google to help me find out how to do stuff, like the automator workflow for example. I have too many other things to try and make sense of in life to bother about how a computer works.
Hope that does not sound flippant and is not meant to be a dig at those that do understand this stuff. I am truly in awe at the depth of knowledge about so many things around here.

Doesn’t sound flippant at all Andy.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to understand the ins and outs of the structure simply to understand where stuff is so I can access it.

For example, attaching photos to the WIP means I need to know where they are. I managed simply becasue they taken on a phone and airdropped And could be picked up from ‘recent’.

Trying to find the photo directory (as in windows) to select individual or groups of photos is prooving a bit elusive!

I don’t want to turn the forum into my mac woes so I’ll leave it here.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Dec 2021, 14:38

Stuart wrote:Trying to find the photo directory (as in windows) to select individual or groups of photos is prooving a bit elusive!

Photo's are stored in a database file not in a directory, so if you need individual pics you export them from 'Photos' app into a directory. There are ways to open the DB, but you really don't want to start doing that as it has the potential to corrupt the DB and you risk all your photos then.

It's a different way of working that's for sure.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 02 Dec 2021, 14:41

Stuart, conversations flow and if you are having problems posting images we are here to help.
Unfortunately I do not use airdrop so I do not know where it dumps them but I hope someone will be along soon .

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 02 Dec 2021, 14:44

:( My iPhone seems to have stopped automatically uploading photos to the cloud so that I can easily ccess them from my desktop.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 02 Dec 2021, 18:46

Iphone needs to have box ticked in settings for cloud sync for Photos etc.
Last edited by AJB Temple on 03 Dec 2021, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 03 Dec 2021, 10:08

I understood one word in the first sentence: “Mac” and that’s only cos I own one. I’ll sit down with this tonight and read it very slooowly.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 03 Dec 2021, 11:39

Andyp wrote:Unfortunately I do not use airdrop so I do not know where it dumps them but I hope someone will be along soon .

Pictures airdropped to an iOS device go to Photos. On a Mac they go to Downloads.

https://www.imobie.com/support/where-do ... tos-go.htm

If you Airdrop other files like say a PDF document to an iOS device it asks where to store it.
I usually choose “Files” for something like a PDF.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat