It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:44

were people harder back in the day

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: were people harder back in the day

Postby thetyreman » 03 Dec 2021, 22:16

people were definitely tougher, my uncle jonny who passed away last week aged 85 told me about how he had to walk 9 miles to get bread for his gran when he was 8 years old, she'd also know when he got it from somewhere else and smack him with a rolling pin, very different times to today.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Phil Pascoe » 04 Dec 2021, 01:06

My grandmother had a brass handled poker which doubled as a tool for breaking toffee and whacking me across the kneecap if I was cheeky.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Doug » 04 Dec 2021, 10:04

I’m currently reading a book written by one of my customers a Russian woman Mila Jones the book is From Communist to Capitalist an interesting read so far the third chapter deals with her first winter in Siberia & has been an eye opener.

This relates to the first morning I turned up at her house it was a freezing January morning & I commented how bitterly cold it was expecting to be greeted with yes it’s a bit nippy etc only to be told in a thick Russian accent it wasn’t cold at all & the problem with you British is you don’t dress for the weather. She went on to tell be in Siberia when it gets to minus 40 they stop the machines as the oil freezes & when it gets to minus 50 they let the men stop working :o I still don’t know if she was winding me up :lol: It was an interesting first encounter, I’m glad to say we get on very well & have worked for her & her husband for years now.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 04 Dec 2021, 10:57

Just after the war my mum had a job in a factory five miles from her home, she biked to work.
One winter there was a bad snowstorm so she had to walk, but she clocked in on time.

She was sent to Coventry by the other women as they got in late despite living close by. The boss said they had no excuse by comparison.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 06 Dec 2021, 17:04

This is a photo of a window in my workshop yesterday morning:
IcyWorkshopWindow.jpg
(250.84 KiB)

It was -19C so I only stayed half an hour. The biggest problem is that I don't like working with gloves on and every tool or piece of wood I pick up is cold and pretty soon my hands get too cold to work well or safely. Clearly I am not hard enough.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby droogs » 06 Dec 2021, 23:26

can't you wrap one of those fluffy sled dogs around your neck and use it to keep your hands warm.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Just4fun » 07 Dec 2021, 00:08

You mean I should convert a sled dog into a bench dog?
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby droogs » 07 Dec 2021, 09:25

Just4fun wrote:You mean I should convert a sled dog into a bench dog?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
droogs
Old Oak

Postby heimlaga » 08 Dec 2021, 23:47

Some say freezing temperatures is too cold for going outside.

In my opinion -20 celsius is a comfortable temperature for working in the woods if it isn't too windy. Carpentry becomes difficult below -20 because the wood becomes brittle and pretty much impossible below -25 because you cannot work barehanded at all.
I remember walking to school in -38 celsius but that was awfully cold.

The human body is adaptable. It speeds up metabolism in cold weather. The first freezing days every autumn are terrible so I can understand that southerners whose bodies never have time to adopt think that freezing temperatures are always terrible.
Warm clothes are important. Layer upon layer upon layer.
Vegans should take note that without proper leather winter boots and woolen socks you loose one pair of feet to frostbite per workday. Unless you have an ample supply of spare feet you cannot be a full blown pure doctrine vegan in winter.
heimlaga
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Doug » 09 Dec 2021, 08:24

heimlaga wrote:Vegans should take note that without proper leather winter boots and woolen socks you loose one pair of feet to frostbite per workday. Unless you have an ample supply of spare feet you cannot be a full blown pure doctrine vegan in winter.

Can you actually be as you put it be a full blown doctrine vegan if you interact with modern day society :eusa-think:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 09 Dec 2021, 08:27

Doug wrote:
heimlaga wrote:Vegans should take note that without proper leather winter boots and woolen socks you loose one pair of feet to frostbite per workday. Unless you have an ample supply of spare feet you cannot be a full blown pure doctrine vegan in winter.

Can you actually be as you put it be a full blown doctrine vegan if you interact with modern day society :eusa-think:

yes, they are easy to spot though, and if they aren't, don't worry, they will tell you soon enough.*

note: tongue firmly in cheek. we are all different and we should celebrate it not lambaste people for their choices.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Doug » 09 Dec 2021, 08:35

novocaine wrote:
Doug wrote:

yes, they are easy to spot though, and if they aren't, don't worry, they will tell you soon enough.*

note: tongue firmly in cheek. we are all different and we should celebrate it not lambaste people for their choices.

I wasn’t lambasting anyone it was a serious question, I’ve never met a truly vegan person, I’ve met a few who purport to be.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 09 Dec 2021, 09:13

I'm really not doing very well with putting across my view without sounding like a school teach ticking people off. Sorry again Doug. :(

serious answer, yes you can be a devote vegan and survive modern society, it takes a lot of effort and an awful lot of heavily processed everything though.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2021, 09:50

heimlaga wrote:Some say freezing temperatures is too cold for going outside.

In my opinion -20 celsius is a comfortable temperature for working in the woods if it isn't too windy. Carpentry becomes difficult below -20 because the wood becomes brittle and pretty much impossible below -25 because you cannot work barehanded at all.
I remember walking to school in -38 celsius but that was awfully cold.

The human body is adaptable. It speeds up metabolism in cold weather. The first freezing days every autumn are terrible so I can understand that southerners whose bodies never have time to adopt think that freezing temperatures are always terrible.
Warm clothes are important. Layer upon layer upon layer.
Vegans should take note that without proper leather winter boots and woolen socks you loose one pair of feet to frostbite per workday. Unless you have an ample supply of spare feet you cannot be a full blown pure doctrine vegan in winter.

I went to Lapland with the kids a few years ago and it was -23. With the proper snow suits and boots they give you it was absolutely fine with no wind as you say.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2021, 09:54

novocaine wrote:I'm really not doing very well with putting across my view without sounding like a school teach ticking people off. Sorry again Doug. :(

serious answer, yes you can be a devote vegan and survive modern society, it takes a lot of effort and an awful lot of heavily processed everything though.

I was thinking about this this morning for a different reason and I’m really not sure you can be, but I don’t know what the rules are so can’t say for sure.

As I know it there should be no animal products in use at all in what you use or consume, or in how it’s produced or transported. Is it as simple as if the truck that drives your avocados (which by the way are categorically NOT vegan, or more than likely not) to the packing plant has leather seats then you’ve failed?

For those reasons I don’t think it’s possible to be pure vegan and to be absolutely sure of it, unless you produce everything yourself.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby AJB Temple » 09 Dec 2021, 10:41

Pure vegan is almost impossible. It would require no pesticides to be used in growing food, and no animal recycling used in fertilisers for either (eg blood, fish and bonemeal). It is very hard to farm efficiently for high volume food production without some damage to animals and insects.

Cold. A few years ago my wife and I did a photographic holiday for 3 weeks in the northern reaches of Finland and elsewhere in the Arctic. Minus 40 at times so serious clothing was a necessity. Very deep snow in places and beautiful frozen lakes. Amazingly clear skies and incredible light when all you can see is snowscape for miles and miles. We tried the ice hotel experience and also slept in an igloo. Saw the northern lights (they look very different in a camera) many times. Zero light pollution. Fantastic trip.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Dec 2021, 10:54

heimlaga wrote:.....I can understand that southerners whose bodies never have time to adopt think that freezing temperatures are always terrible......

And that length of cold is precisely why you see Geordies walking around in T-shirt and shorts in winter. ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Dec 2021, 11:17

Give me very cold winters over very hot summers.

Extra layers can always be added to keep warm but when the birthday suit has to be worn and it is still to hot to go outside, in public, then I really suffer.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Doug » 09 Dec 2021, 11:48

AJB Temple wrote:Pure vegan is almost impossible. It would require no pesticides to be used in growing food, and no animal recycling used in fertilisers for either (eg blood, fish and bonemeal). It is very hard to farm efficiently for high volume food production without some damage to animals and insects.

Not only that but practically everything that’s sold will contain substances that have been tested on animals, your clothing for a start would be pretty limited as colour dyes will have been tested
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Alf » 09 Dec 2021, 12:27

Andyp wrote:Give me very cold winters over very hot summers.

Extra layers can always be added to keep warm but when the birthday suit has to be worn and it is still to hot to go outside, in public, then I really suffer.

Will you please stop chucking these mental images about?! :shock:

Cold and wet is horrible. Warm and wet is horrible. Either of them with wind is ghastly. Hot is diabolical. I am designed for cold and dry, which is why I so enjoy living on a hill in a part of the country famous for being both warm and wet.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Dec 2021, 12:32

Andyp wrote:Give me very cold winters over very hot summers.

Hot summers for me every time. And dry. The moss that was growing on top of the earlier moss has now discovered that it has moss growing on top of itself now. I checked this morning and the webs between my toes are just starting.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 09 Dec 2021, 12:42

A vegan is the worst thing for animals on this planet and the greatest driver of anthropomorphic climate change. They are the invention of Big Oil when Standard Oil was broken up as a way to keep profits up and the reason we are still stuck in the plastic age as their selfish stance drives the continuing existence of the fossil fuel industry to keep making the plastics they insist we must all wear and use rather than nice biodegradable natural bits of cow, donkey and Bambi. Petrol and diesel are just off spin products in their mad quest to get us all to buy nasty plastic tat from their methane breathing lizard overlords based in China. After all where would we be if our cave dwelling ancestors hadn't used some nice natural Oryx jaw bone to bash each others heads in? Like shooting a Scotsman on a Sunday with a War bow is legal on the Isle of Mann we should be allowed to hunt down all Vegans and be able to dispatch them using Lego and a slingshot on a Tuesday afternoon (I normally don't have anything to do on a Tuesday afternoon, so it would be convenient).

I got all the relevant information to form my views on this subject from the Tinterweave and Fox News, Ipso Facto it has to be true.

:shock:
droogs
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2021, 12:43

:lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 09 Dec 2021, 14:45

TrimTheKing wrote:
I went to Lapland with the kids a few years ago and it was -23. With the proper snow suits and boots they give you it was absolutely fine with no wind as you say.

I can only imagine why you wouldn’t want won’t wind in your snow suit :? bit like an astronaut wouldn’t? :eusa-think:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 09 Dec 2021, 14:55

droogs wrote:A vegan is the worst thing for animals on this planet and the greatest driver of anthropomorphic climate change. They are the invention of Big Oil when Standard Oil was broken up as a way to keep profits up and the reason we are still stuck in the plastic age as their selfish stance drives the continuing existence of the fossil fuel industry to keep making the plastics they insist we must all wear and use rather than nice biodegradable natural bits of cow, donkey and Bambi. Petrol and diesel are just off spin products in their mad quest to get us all to buy nasty plastic tat from their methane breathing lizard overlords based in China. After all where would we be if our cave dwelling ancestors hadn't used some nice natural Oryx jaw bone to bash each others heads in? Like shooting a Scotsman on a Sunday with a War bow is legal on the Isle of Mann we should be allowed to hunt down all Vegans and be able to dispatch them using Lego and a slingshot on a Tuesday afternoon (I normally don't have anything to do on a Tuesday afternoon, so it would be convenient).

I got all the relevant information to form my views on this subject from the Tinterweave and Fox News, Ipso Facto it has to be true.

:shock:

Can't use plastic. It's dinosaur squeezings and I don't think there is a statute of limitation on animal products.

you'll have to use rayon instead.
novocaine
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat