It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:48

Nest camera flakiness

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Nest camera flakiness

Postby RogerS » 09 Jan 2022, 11:29

Rather than continue to hijack Bob's thread, starting a new one here.

The Nest camera 'eco-system' is a perfect example of 'flakey'. I have reinstalled the camera several times. I have even had the camera replaced. I have reinstalled the Nest app on the mobile - also several times. To little avail.

Typical issues are :

Home/Away Assist doesn't. I can be away from home and the Nest app on the phone shows Away and yet the camera has not been switched on.

Huge gaps in the event recorded history. Known events, such as me leaving the house early yesterday morning, fail to appear or be recorded.

Frequently the 'eco-system' will complain that my camera is offline and yet i can quite happily Ping it from my Mac. So it isn't offline.

Lies on their website regarding how Home/Away Assist works. They claim location is based on which mobile mast, wi-fi and GPS. The last two are 100% incorrect and a complete and utter 'con'. They do not know how to use the Fused Location Provider in Android properly.

Recommended ? Nope.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Nest camera flakiness

Postby Robert » 09 Jan 2022, 13:22

Remind me why you didn't just get cctv?

Do you have to pay a monthly sub for a nest cam to record?

I have a nest thermostat which works fine. It has the home away thing too but can't say I've ever checked it works. Supposed to drop the temperature and turn off water heating if we are away. Guess I should check next time.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 09 Jan 2022, 13:38

Robert wrote:Remind me why you didn't just get cctv?

Do you have to pay a monthly sub for a nest cam to record?

I have a nest thermostat which works fine. It has the home away thing too but can't say I've ever checked it works. Supposed to drop the temperature and turn off water heating if we are away. Guess I should check next time.

I've had the Nest camera for a very long time. At the time, cctv offerings never entered my thoughts TBH as IIRC they lacked the functionality that they do now.

Yes..an annual sub.

I looked at Hykvision recently because of TOAS but I need battery operated wi-fi cameras and it looked as if they'd been dropped.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 09 Jan 2022, 16:17

I originally installed Nest in my friends house in Blackheath (central London) as she was having a bit of a harassment problem. It worked perfectly including home and away. However - she had excellent high speed broadband and high speed mobile phone coverage.

She's recently moved to a more secure property in Bromley and I tried Nest for her but we decided it was too flaky in that house and I fitted an Arlo multi camera (all with microphone), intercom and lighting set up: a mixture of hard wired and wireless (the wireless cameras are fed by small solar panels to top up the batteries - very similar to my own set up at home). It has a battery back up unit too that keeps the router going for a while in a power cut.

CCTV is pretty good now. Does not necessarily have to have a subscription. Night vision is pretty good and it is accessible readily on mobile phones. Can be a tad laggy at times.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Jan 2022, 19:04

I think an Arlo would hammer my measly 0.9Mbps upload bandwidth !

It would also hammer my bank balance
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 09 Jan 2022, 19:12

i might have to do a bit of testing this week on the home/away thing as i don't use it, I did have issues going offline before i upgraded my wifi to a tri-band mesh system.

I also have Arlo experience, although i think it was the pro 2, it was not as good as my current active IQ outdoor 4k thing from nest, slightly miffed you don't seem to be able to buy them anymore :/
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby AJB Temple » 09 Jan 2022, 22:26

Yes, I agree Roger. Arlo is spendy although the latest Ultra 2 4K HDR system with built in spotlight and 12 times zoom is very good indeed. Much better than the old Pro 2 or 3. Best bought as kits and in my friend K's case it was a business expense so tax allowable. Easily does face and number plate recognition. I am sure there are lots of CCTV systems available but we went for Arlo because I am capable of installing and maintaining it as an amateur DIYer.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2022, 07:50

Apart from the cost, Adrian, the upload bandwidth requirements preclude these at my place.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby greeno » 10 Jan 2022, 08:01

We've nest and did have problems initially with weak wifi.

We then have more money to Google and installed their mesh and it was all sorted.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Jan 2022, 13:13

Just got a person alert. Que? Camera shouldn't be on. It was me walking past it. I am at home, Nest. That means the camera is supposed to be off. What's that ? Oh, I see...you think I am away. I am in my study.

Your system is a CoS.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat