It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:29

Pressure washers.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Pressure washers.

Postby MY63 » 16 Jan 2022, 19:22

My neighbour put a Karcher K4 out for the bin man last summer "knackered" he said looked nicer than mine so I brought it home. When I plugged it in it was leaking all over, inspection showed all of the plastic elbow joints were leaking, clearly he had left water in side which as others had said froze and split the plastic parts.
I think in total it cost £35 for all of the parts including the end for the lance. It is a super powerful piece of kit.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jan 2022, 09:07

I've had a Karcher for at least 25 years and it's still doing well. I used to use it regularly to blitz off the crud from the underside of the Defender and bought a special 'L' shaped wand to allow easy access to the wheel arches and underside. I used it a few days ago to nuke off the accumulated grunge from our current motor and have promised SWIMBO that it'll see regular use when the new one is delivered - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Eric the Viking » 17 Jan 2022, 13:28

I replaced Karcher with Karcher when the first one (top-end domestic from around 1997) burst a seal and flooded its motor (several times - the first time I dried it out over a few weeks).

I've got adaptors to use the more useful accessories of the old one with the new one (a low-end commercial unit HD 6/13C), such as the drain-jetting hose and odd lances. I like the new-style lance a lot and the jets that came with the unit - considerably better than the older kit, with the one exception that my old lance has a pressure gauge on the handle, which was pretty useful.

The new machine gets little use generally, except periods painting the house, when they have to run for full days on end and basically get hammered. It survived the last house paint two years ago pretty well, and has since breezed through DIY tasks such as path/patio cleaning, for which it's almost too powerful.

Comparing prices then and now, the new one (around 600 quid) was about the same value as the old one (around 350 back then). My only annoyances are the cost of accessories and the triple-start thread on the lance - unnecessarily poor engineering (although it does work). The main casting is brass, not aluminium, which is an improvement, and it's clearly up to the task. It also has a longer and heaver rubber mains cable, which is definitely better. A "commando plug" seals nicely round it, too, which I prefer (it's a 240V version).

I don't like the suction-driven detergent take-up system. The old one had a tank and an adjustable valve to feed detergent. Yes you had to refill it but the tank wasn't small and it did allow careful metering. The new one is crude and awkward in comparison: Although just dipping a hose into a can of chemical is easier, if you put the lance on the wrong setting it will backflow and fill the can with water. I suspect this is a mistake made only once, however.

I'm pretty certain the present one will outlast me, so I won't be comparison shopping any time soon. I've found the agent to offer very good service, but had to go to t'internet to get the necessary inter-series hose bayonet adaptors. Kaarcher's enthusiasm to turn a good profit from its customers is a little too obvious in that area.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat