It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 23:20

Pressure washers.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Pressure washers.

Postby Mike G » 15 Jan 2022, 18:10

What do we know? Are they all the same? What's to avoid?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Pressure washers.

Postby Chris152 » 15 Jan 2022, 18:25

I have two non-functioning Kärchers in my shed. I needed one that worked well quick sharp, so bought this one (Titan, 150 bar) from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb220 ... lsrc=3p.ds
It works fine so far, after several hours of use, and comparatively cheap. I suppose it'll go the same way as the others, but with less upfront cost.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jan 2022, 18:34

Mike G wrote:What do we know? Are they all the same? What's to avoid?

There is an annoying lack of standardisation of fittings used at the end of hoses/pumps (moderate issue) and the triggers/guns and the accessories/lances (severe issue) Inter series adaptors are usually cheap chinese carp and fail regularly.
Just for laughs, manufacturers change their fitting choices every few years so replacement hoses/guns/lances become unobtainable.
For severe staining the lances with a swirling ball in the head give a good scrubbing action but only cleaning a 5omm diameter disc at a time.
Cheap rotary head patio cleaners can have poor bearings and seize up with the displaced grit.
Wellies essential waders better still.
I have an old Bosch - been obsolete for years but a fantastic pump built like a brick outhouse. Fittings and accessories are a nightmare.
I'm using it with a Karcher gun and a custom made hose but the adaptors to my lances are a disaster.
I need to find a new Karcher ball swirl lance and I should be ok for the patio spring clean.
It is essential to drain any water out of the pump before winter otherwise Ice will split pumps and pressure regulators.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 18:35

My take is that you need to keep regularly firing them up else something inside dries up and they end up knackered. My preferred route is the missus with a squeegy.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 Jan 2022, 18:40

It’s a long time since I researched my purchase but from what I remember is it is the quality of the materials used in the pump that will determine whether or not it will last more than five minutes. If it used infrequently with hard water for example the components of the cheaper machines soon suffer.

I ended up with a Kranzle like this has a brass pump. Comes out about twice a year, or less
https://indors.eu/pressure-washer-kranz ... asher.html

Post crossed with Bob. Yes the Kranzle has its own unique fittings.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 15 Jan 2022, 18:59

I was doubtful of their use to me until someone insisted in lending me one to clean my patio. It did actually work but being a rather small Kärcher unit it took an age. I invested in a rather more powerful Nilfisk washer which has proved very useful. Mine is 140 bar and I wouldn’t get anything less if I needed to replace it. As suggested I always empty mine after use. There are lots of accessories for the Nilfisk and I invested in a new rubber pressure hose (rather than plastic) which has proved much better. The Snow Foam sprayer is very useful for cleaning the car. I also have a drain/gutter hose but I’ve not used it yet.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 15 Jan 2022, 19:17

Chris152 wrote:I have two non-functioning Kärchers in my shed. I needed one that worked well quick sharp, so bought this one (Titan, 150 bar) from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb220 ... lsrc=3p.ds
It works fine so far, after several hours of use, and comparatively cheap. I suppose it'll go the same way as the others, but with less upfront cost.

Do you have a lance for the dead karcher?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 15 Jan 2022, 20:34

I’ve literally just bought a Karcher K2, first use tomorrow. I’ve always been a bit reticent to get one, bit of a gadget that probably won’t last long but I don’t clean my cars as often as I should and I hope speeding it up will mean I do it more often!

I read a number of reviews and there didn’t seem to be a consensus at the price point on a favourite so plumbed for a brand I recognise! I did get it from eBay, new but damaged box considerably less and still with 12 month warranty.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 15 Jan 2022, 20:40

MattS wrote:I’ve literally just bought a Karcher K2, first use tomorrow. I’ve always been a bit reticent to get one, bit of a gadget that probably won’t last long but I don’t clean my cars as often as I should and I hope speeding it up will mean I do it more often!

I read a number of reviews and there didn’t seem to be a consensus at the price point on a favourite so plumbed for a brand I recognise! I did get it from eBay, new but damaged box considerably less and still with 12 month warranty.

Tip: when you have finished, turn off the water and then run the machine dry, otherwise there is pressurised water in the washer.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 15 Jan 2022, 20:59

Thanks, did wonder what the procedure was when done - wary of running pump dry but I guess I just need to do it till no water comes out.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 15 Jan 2022, 21:08

The pump will cut out when it sees no water.
It only takes seconds to release the water upstream of the pump.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jan 2022, 21:19

I have a Karcher steam washer - a big one, garage style. It's 20 years old and the commercial ones are very robust. Gets serviced approx every 5 years. Burns diesel for the (controllable) hot wash. The DIY ones have a reputation for being much less tough.

I also have a Nilfisk cold washer which is only a couple of years old. Like this: https://cpc.farnell.com/nilfisk/p-180/p ... 0Chemicals

It has two different lances and I really like the hose reel - in my case fitted with a 10m extension. Also detergent tank. This machine is variable pressure and excellent. I have the drain cleaner hose as well and this is fantastic for clearing out blocked drains and cleaning the pipes for private drainage systems (we have a Klargester and a stupid design of drain system around the house.

You get what you pay for with these things. I recommend the Nilfisk as a proper tool.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 15 Jan 2022, 22:43

I have the cheapest of cheap version from a wholesaler. Think it was 19 quid. The hose on it costs more.

Its done everything i need it to.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby DaveL » 15 Jan 2022, 22:56

I to have cheap one, I think it came from Aldi.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jan 2022, 23:35

Mine is used a lot and I find the cheap ones don't last 5 mins. Uses:

Wash down the house (barn) as it get covered in spider webs.
Jet wash the paving which grows moss at a hell of a rate
Wash down the main gate every year - comes up like new
Wash all outdoor furniture once a year (with detergent etc in the unit)
Wash the mower decks (they get thick with grass and inhibits the mulching)
Jet wash the bikes (I don't clean cars, too tedious)
Jet wash the numerous manholes for our daft sewerage system
Drain cleaning all too often
Gutter cleaning
Disinfect the greenhouses
Jet wash the fish pond annually
Jet wash the buxus plants (not joking) as part of regime for dreaded box moth caterpillar)

Really useful bit of kit. Hot / steam washer used to be used a lot for cars and bikes because it gets alloy wheels clean (and engine bays and chassis) double quick. Now I hardly use it.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 15 Jan 2022, 23:37

I bought a Nilfisk P150 a while back along with the patio cleaner attachment. It's a powerful machine. I had to add weights to the patio cleaner so I didn't have to hold it down to the ground. Machine came with turbo and variable nozzles. Think I read the turbo one could damage car paint so only use the variable if I point it at the car. Turbo certainly gets stone clean fast.

Bar pressure is one thing but you want a decent throughput of water too. A machine with high pressure and low flow will make a pencil line of clean. Same pressure and more flow will clean a much wider line and get the job done quicker.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jan 2022, 23:39

:text-goodpost:

Agree. The different jets on the Nilfisk machines make doing paving much neater. And if you don't wind the power down these things will strip laquer off vehicles, especially if too close. DAMHIKT. :oops:
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 16 Jan 2022, 00:53

I'm on my second Karcher a K4 which I've had at least 5 or 6 years, my previous one was twice that age and it's still being used by my son who borrowed it and didn't give it back. :eusa-doh: I bought it from an ebay dealer as reconditioned and it hasn't missed a beat so far, touch wood.
I't's well used at least twice a week cleaning 2 or 3 cars and occasionally the motorhome, used for all cleaning process including snowfoam application, also used to clean the mowers, patios, garden tools, wheelbarrows etc. and twice a year blast down the drain gulleys after cleaning the muck out and I lift manhole covers and shove the lance down there as well.
My first ever pressure washer was a cheapo which lasted 3 days longer than the 12 month warranty before the pump gave up the ghost.

It's important as already said to empty the pump in the winter, it takes only around 10 seconds on mine.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Woodster » 16 Jan 2022, 12:02

Yes I forgot to mention the Turbo nozzle on the Nilfisk. It works so much better than the standard one on things like the patio. The original stopped working after about ten years so I bought a new one, it wasn’t expensive. I did a little research before I bought my machine and it seems Nilfisk have a long history of making industrial cleaning equipment. I bought one of their wet and dry vacs for the workshop as well.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 16 Jan 2022, 13:10

+1 for nilfisk
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 16 Jan 2022, 13:36

Stihl. :D
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby jimmy s » 16 Jan 2022, 13:59

I've had 2 of the better domestic karchers, a bosch, a nilfisk and am now on a petrol wolf thing.

The karchers didn't last me much more than a year, the bosch fared slightly better, I think I might have had that one over 2 years before it died. I then did some reading and bought a 160 bar Nilfisk that the hose coiled up on. I had that one a few days then it started leaking oil from somewhere so I sent it back. I now have a petrol wolf thing that works ok, its supposed to be 200 bar. It might have been for a few days but its not producing the pressure it once did. I have been looking at putting a new pump on it but not sure if its worth the hassle. I use it with a hot and cold mixer tap outside. Its been ok but its starting to fail. I've had it about 4 years I think.

I've not had much luck with any of these. I was speaking to a farmer, not known for spending money unnecessarily. He had a karcher steam cleaner and swore by it. His advice was buy the best you can afford, look after it and dont let any one borrow it!

I think the Farmer was probably not far wrong. The pumps on these have to work hard as do the motors etc. Working with hot water or steam adds another level of stress to the bits. The domestic karchers are not that great, I'm sure mine had a plastic pump - designed to a price point and probably have a design working life of 24 hours or something. The commercial grade karchers are different animals as far as I can see. I think I was unlucky with the Nilfisk - it looked well made. Kranzle also seem to be good but they are not particularly cheap either.

So no def. not all the same and what to avoid - low end karchers in my experience anyway
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Jan 2022, 14:06

Yes. The service guy who does my big Karcher (cheap btw) says they don't service the domestic ones at all - they are regarded as disposable. The parts are completely different. The steam cleaners are designed for daily use in a tough environment. But they are far too expensive for domestic use. (I had a farm years ago when I bought mine and tractors needed washing down - it was an expensive tool even back then).
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 16 Jan 2022, 14:25

My karcher works fine, all the nicer that I found it on a skip!
I only rescued it thinking that the parts might come in handy.
Just needed a new fuse in the plug.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby jimmy s » 16 Jan 2022, 15:18

Lurker wrote:My karcher works fine, all the nicer that I found it on a skip!
I only rescued it thinking that the parts might come in handy.
Just needed a new fuse in the plug.

That's the best kind - a free one!
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat