It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:56

Balsamic vinegar

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Balsamic vinegar

Postby Lurker » 15 Jan 2022, 18:22

I know that there are a few foodies on the forum so I thought that I would ask for recommendations.
Her majesty likes a nice balsamic and I am currently in charge of shopping as she is recovering from an illness.
I am not that bothered one way or the other and rarely use it, more of a salad cream bloke.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Balsamic vinegar

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 18:30

Yes.

Avoid Waitrose single estate...far too much acidic vinegar flavour. Bit like Sarson's TBH.

M&S do a couple. One in a square bottle which is OK-ish

but the best is the one in a tall round bottle with a long thin neck. Product code M 0805 896. It is pricey but wirth every drop.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 15 Jan 2022, 19:04

RogerS wrote:Yes.

Avoid Waitrose single estate...far too much acidic vinegar flavour. Bit like Sarson's TBH.

M&S do a couple. One in a square bottle which is OK-ish

but the best is the one in a tall round bottle with a long thin neck. Product code M 0805 896. It is pricey but wirth every drop.

I don’t think riffraff like me are allowed in Waitrose :D
Years ago they used to do a nice one with a green label.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby pitch pine » 16 Jan 2022, 11:56

The pricey one with the long neck has been on offer in waitrose and tesco in Hexham recently. Like Roger says worth every drop.
pitch pine
New Shoots

Name: nick

Postby RogerS » 16 Jan 2022, 12:14

pitch pine wrote:The pricey one with the long neck has been on offer in waitrose and tesco in Hexham recently. Like Roger says worth every drop.

Nick, looking at the Waitrose website, I don't think we are talking about the same vinegar. They have several bottles with long necks. The Belazu we find way too vinegary. Just wish that M&S in Hexham ditched the clothes and went fully food !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 12:51

pitch pine wrote:The pricey one with the long neck has been on offer in waitrose and tesco in Hexham recently. Like Roger says worth every drop.

We've got an organic one from Waitrose, about £16 :shock: a bottle if I recollect (long thin neck too) which is really very, very good. Their ordinary own label stuff is too vinegary - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 16 Jan 2022, 16:12

Pfft, non-brewed condiment by the gallon does me just fine, no fancy vinegar here 8-)
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 16 Jan 2022, 17:12

Not that I am an expert, but I think how much can you spend on Balsamic vinegar is a bit like a sharpening ‘discussion’, or ’what are the biggest wheels I can put on my Defender?’

However. I use Belazu, which is widely available, or whatever I find in Valvona’s. Belazu do several varieties, and IIRC rate them by number. The higher the number the less acidic (I hope I’ve got that right). The bottle I currently have is 1.34. About £15. It really depends what you want to use it for.

I’ve just looked up a supplier that I use for hard to get stuff when I’m down in the Borders and don’t want to drive back into the ‘burgh. £115 for 100ml grab you? Tradizionale and 25 years aged (I think it has to be for Trad). I have worn Chanel that is cheaper than that.

If you want something out of the ordinary I’m happy to look in Valvona’s for you (their on-line shop is rubbish).

AJB will probably have some higher end alternatives…
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Jan 2022, 17:32

Tiresias wrote:
AJB will probably have some higher end alternatives…

:lol: I have resisted commenting. The proper aged stuff made from grape must is expensive. But having been peripherally involved in the restaurant biz over the years, you might be surprised how many restaurants top up their visible bottles with this stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/Country-Range- ... 80&sr=8-58

This is £16.99 from big river retailer for 5 litres :o , but around a tenner on a trade account. :shock:

I've had the stuff at most quality levels, including artisan produce at source in Italy, but what I use at home is Waitrose Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP Invecchiato **** in the short square bottles. This is around £11 for 250ml and is thick enough and refined enough to be good as a final dressing on fish, salads and eggs. I used to buy another type with wax seals in really nice cylindrical cases, but it's hard to find now and since brexit prices are silly.

If you are adding to sauces, use any old cheap stuff. Restaurants do!

Anything below about £25 (including the one above) is going to be heavily cut with ordinary wine vinegar and they wont tell you what wine or what quality. If you want premium quality where they will tell you the ingredient sources then you will need to source accordingly from a Modenese supplier.

Tip from James Martin and from me: buy very high quality sherry vinegar. This is far cheaper and just as good in many cases.

I too like salad cream. Stems from my childhood. :eusa-violin:
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Jan 2022, 12:42

Thanks,
I knew it was a matter of individual taste to some extent. I was after one for salads and the like,rather than cooking.
I am going to get two middle of the road bottles from Sainsbury’s as they seem to have them on offer.
The Waitrose and M&S locally are smallish stores that are unlikely to stock the full range.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat